Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Line talk after Panthers Game

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 12:22 PM by temporaryname.)

Personally, I thought the offensive line looked, ummmm.... pretty offensive...
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

New blood was needed. An in house guy to HC was a huge mistake. Should have cleaned house like many wanted. Just stupid imho.

Noticed this in Oehser's Q&A today. Since there's been a debate on the topic in a few threads, thought I'd leave it here:

Chris from Mandarin:
Given that Doug Marrone stated publicly during the offseason that he did not see Cam Robinson as a guard and did not have plans to play him at guard, why did the team ignore that area of the offensive line? Granted, Caldwell clearly does not evaluate linemen well (given the overall performance of the group since he's been around), other than Linder - though even a broken clock is right twice a day, but Marrone and Tom Coughlin should have known better, shouldn't they have?

John: If Branden Albert had started at left tackle – as was essentially the plan – Robinson was the logical choice to play left guard. His talent, skill set, size, etc., all pointed to that. The team did not “plan” to play him at guard because the team was working him at tackle during organized team activities and the offseason, but had he not beaten out Albert, it’s a big stretch to think Robinson wasn’t going to start somewhere for this team. And that somewhere was going to be guard.

Yeaaaa... The Albert thing really hurt us. Not that he was a Joe Thomas, but we should have been able to count on him being solid

(08-29-2017, 11:05 AM)JNev Wrote: Yeaaaa... The Albert thing really hurt us. Not that he was a Joe Thomas, but we should have been able to count on him being solid

I really get the idea that Albert would have been the one sliding inside to G.

Robinson, Albert, Linder, Cann, Parnell.

That right side would still leave a little bit to be desired though, seeing how it all has played out now...

The final cut deadline is now only 9 1/2 hours away as I post this. Let's review what we have,

I figure we keep 9 OLs, although 10 is possible. So, like with most stuff I'll just loosely rank them...

1. Brandon Linder
  2. Cam Robinson
  3. Jermey Parnell
  4. Jonathan Wells
  5. AJ Cann
  6. Patrick Omameh
  7. Luke Bowanko
  8. Earl Watford
  9. Jeremiah Poutasi
  10. Tyler Shatley
  11. Avery Gennesy
  12. Nila Kasitati
  13. Chris Reed
Gennesy projects to the PS.

It would appear that Shatley is the odd man out if they only keep 9, but it's possible he makes it over someone I'm ranking ahead of him. 
'02

(09-02-2017, 06:41 AM)Jags02 Wrote: The final cut deadline is now only 9 1/2 hours away as I post this. Let's review what we have,

I figure we keep 9 OLs, although 10 is possible. So, like with most stuff I'll just loosely rank them...

1. Brandon Linder
  2. Cam Robinson
  3. Jermey Parnell
  4. Jonathan Wells
  5. AJ Cann
  6. Patrick Omameh
  7. Luke Bowanko
  8. Earl Watford
  9. Jeremiah Poutasi
  10. Tyler Shatley
  11. Avery Gennesy
  12. Nila Kasitati
  13. Chris Reed

It would appear that Shatley is the odd man out if they only keep 9, but it's possible he makes it over someone I'm ranking ahead of him. 

What a pathetic group we have.

I don't see them keeping 10, not even 9. It's the least talented position group (other than QB) so you would have to release a more talented player somewhere else.

I think they keep 8 and 4 TE's initially, then cut the 4th TE when they pickup an OL off of the waiver wire.

Looking at that list is depressing.

(08-25-2017, 08:10 AM)UCF Knight Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 06:01 AM)BklynJag Wrote: I was calling for Caldwell to sign the top guards in free agency but got blasted on here.

How do you know they didn't try?

They did try for the guy that the Browns outbid us for.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(09-02-2017, 06:41 AM)Jags02 Wrote: The final cut deadline is now only 9 1/2 hours away as I post this. Let's review what we have,

1. Brandon Linder
  2. Cam Robinson
  3. Jermey Parnell
  4. Jonathan Wells
  5. AJ Cann
  6. Patrick Omameh
  7. Luke Bowanko
  8. Earl Watford
  9. Jeremiah Poutasi
  10. Tyler Shatley
  11. Avery Gennesy
  12. Nila Kasitati
  13. Chris Reed

I think it's:

Linder
Robinson
Parnell
Omameh
Cann
Shatley
Wells
Poutasi

Gennesy to PS

If they keep 9 active it's between Bowanko, Watford, Reed for the ninth spot.
Bowanko would have been a shoe-in had he not played so poorly vs atlanta's back-ups.

(09-02-2017, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

1. Brandon Linder
  2. Cam Robinson
  3. Jermey Parnell
  4. Jonathan Wells
  5. AJ Cann
  6. Patrick Omameh
  7. Luke Bowanko
  8. Earl Watford
  9. Jeremiah Poutasi
  10. Tyler Shatley
  11. Avery Gennesy
  12. Nila Kasitati
  13. Chris Reed

I think it's:

Linder
Robinson
Parnell
Omameh
Cann
Shatley
Wells
Poutasi

Gennesy to PS

Bowanko would have been a shoe-in had he not played so poorly vs atlanta's back-ups.

^This (as a prediction)

I'd keep Watford over Shatley (with Reed as #9), but apparently Shatley has blackmail photos. If we cut both Shatley and Bowanko do we still have a backup center? We seem to be stuck with Cann as high draft pick, although he hasn't exactly looked like a valid starter.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Lol at whoever said we should have kept Beachum. He was trash

(09-02-2017, 09:23 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: I don't see them keeping 10, not even 9.  It's the least talented position group (other than QB) so you would have to release a more talented player somewhere else.

I think they keep 8 and 4 TE's initially, then cut the 4th TE when they pickup an OL off of the waiver wire.

You're logic is why I'm saying 9 instead of 10, but it's very rare to ever see a team keep only 8 OLs.
'02

(09-02-2017, 10:49 AM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 10:18 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I think it's:

Linder
Robinson
Parnell
Omameh
Cann
Shatley
Wells
Poutasi

Gennesy to PS

^This (as a prediction)

I'd keep Watford over Shatley (with Reed as #9), but apparently Shatley has blackmail photos. If we cut both Shatley and Bowanko do we still have a backup center? We seem to be stuck with Cann as high draft pick, although he hasn't exactly looked like a valid starter.

Again, I do think they keep 9, but I just can't see Reed being one of them. I'm surprised he wasn't in the Jaguars first big cut. His still being on there makes me think that maybe he's a Practice Squad candidate.
'02

Crossing Bowanko off the list now that he's been traded to the Ravens, it appears we have our nine...

1. Brandon Linder
  2. Cam Robinson
  3. Jermey Parnell
  4. Jonathan Wells
  5. AJ Cann
  6. Patrick Omameh
  7. Earl Watford
  8. Jeremiah Poutasi
  9. Tyler Shatley
...with Avery Gennesy making the PS possibly along with Kasitati or Reed.
'02

Gotta believe they will make a move today to pick up someone cut by another team or make a trade.

Who would be best:

a. Greco
b. Zuttah
c. Boone
d. Winston
e. None of the above

(This post was last modified: 09-02-2017, 09:56 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(09-02-2017, 03:56 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Who would be best:

a. Greco
b. Zuttah
c. Boone
d. Winston
e. None of the above

Boone and Greco. Winston is toast. Cincinnati's OT's are abysmal yet he couldn't even stick with the team and Zuttah has been cut twice in the preseason. That's a very bad sign. Ted Karras was also released from the Patriots. He's been a spot starter for a while and the Pats fans seem to be very surprised he was released. He would definitely be worth a look.

I kinda like Dorian Johnson. Not sure what happened in pre-season, but he was one of the better guards coming out. He'd be worth it for a minimal cost, especially if they don't sign Zuttah or Greco.