Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trade for an Offensive Lineman

Everyone keeps suggesting we trade for a QB, but that obviously isn't happening.  What about making a move for an experienced, proven guard.  Do you think this is a possibility at all?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You draft guards, not trade for them.

I think it probably would have happened already if they were really trying to do it.

I'd expect a couple of waiver wire additions.

They could move Linder back to the position he was drafted for.

Linder should be a LG imo.

Linder LG, Bo center where he played fine for a year before wis came in. Bo never displayed anything that year that screamed liability even as a rookie.
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

The fact that message board posters propose legitimate ways to improve the O-line is pretty frightening.

Bo wasn't very good as a center, but you can scheme to mask a weakness at center better than the other line positions. I would welcome Linder at LG and Bo at center for this season if we can't bring anyone in.

One issue is that Bo, I don't think, was good with his calls as a rookie. Say what you will about Wiz, but he got all the calls at the line in. Linder and Bo have struggled with it, imo.

I'd look for an aging vet with a big cap hit that another team may want to get rid of. I know that this would be highly improbable, and being an Iowa Hawkeye fan I definitely have a bias, but I would love to make a move for Marshal Yanda of the Ravens. He's 32, carries a cap hit of over $9 Million this year, and just over $10 Million the next 2 years. He's a perennial pro bowler, but on the back side of his career. He'd be a great stop gap for the next 2-3 years, giving us time to draft some interior lineman to eventually replace him. I know that the Ravens wouldn't just want to part with a pro bowl guard, so you would have to give up a high draft pick and maybe a player. He'd fill a huge need for us.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 12:23 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-26-2017, 12:16 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Bo wasn't very good as a center, but you can scheme to mask a weakness at center better than the other line positions.  I would welcome Linder at LG and Bo at center for this season if we can't bring anyone in.  

One issue is that Bo, I don't think, was good with his calls as a rookie.  Say what you will about Wiz, but he got all the calls at the line in.  Linder and Bo have struggled with it, imo.

Marrone already said if anything Linder will be RG where he won't have to play his 3rd position.  Omameh played fine last year at LG hopefully he can pick up where he left off

Bo was a fat better center than Cann is a RG. Not to mention RG is the weakest spot on the line at the moment with Cann there

I realize that the staff has refused to consider Linder at LG. I am just saying that he fits best there. He is well-rounded, but doesn't excel as a run blocker.

Yanda is a pipedream, but would be amazing.

At this point, my plan for next year would be to move Linder to LG. Sign a player like Chance Warmack to compete at RG. Obviously take a trade for a player like Yanda if they were to be made available. Draft BA tackle or guard in the 1st and Center Frank Ragnow in the 2nd.

You just HAVE to go balls to the wall if you want to fix this line before we miss the window for our young players.

(08-26-2017, 12:18 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: I'd look for an aging vet with a big cap hit that another team may want to get rid of. 

That's exactly what they did. 

[Image: hi-res-ecbe58269e7d53bb1e07447103abf2fc_...crop_y=top]

(08-26-2017, 12:18 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: I'd look for an aging vet with a big cap hit that another team may want to get rid of.  I know that this would be highly improbable, and being an Iowa Hawkeye fan I definitely have a bias, but I would love to make a move for Marshal Yanda of the Ravens.  He's 32, carries a cap hit of over $9 Million this year, and just over $10 Million the next 2 years.  He's a perennial pro bowler, but on the back side of his career.  He'd be a great stop gap for the next 2-3 years, giving us time to draft some interior lineman to eventually replace him.  I know that the Ravens wouldn't just want to part with a pro bowl guard, so you would have to give up a high draft pick and maybe a player.  He'd fill a huge need for us.

This might be the only way to salvage a horrible offensive line. It would cost us a lot of money, but thankfully that's one thing we have. I just watched the Hard Knocks from the Tampa scrimmages and actual game and our O.Line is plain embarassing. Even if they have to part with with a 3rd-4th round draft pick in addition to the salary, they should do it. This team has enough talent at every position other than q.b. and offensive line. 

I'm looking at all these ideas and what boggles my mind is the Jaguars could have had either Dan Feeney or Pat Elflein in the 3rd round. Just read where Elflein will start at center this year and Feeney will likely start at guard for the Chargers. I predict Elflein will become a pro-bowl center. Coming out of Ohio State, he was known for his leadership of the line, work ethic and most importantly, run blocking. Linder could have been moved back to guard and your line immediately looks pretty solid- especially once Robinson gains experience. Instead of that, they hang their hats on Shatley, Reed, Watford, Omameh and Bowanko. How is Caldwell still general manager?

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 01:14 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

But Caldwell seen Smoot as by far the best player on the board still in the 3rd

Elflein won the Rimington trophy, award to the best center in college

(08-26-2017, 01:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But Caldwell seen Smoot as by far the best player on the board still in the 3rd

Yes, I know he said that. I do think Smoot will turn out to be a pretty reliable and versatile player, but if there was ever a case where the team needed to prioritize need over value (at least on their board- nobody else's) this was it.

(This post was last modified: 08-26-2017, 01:25 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-26-2017, 01:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: But Caldwell seen Smoot as by far the best player on the board still in the 3rd

Yes, I know he said that. I do think Smoot will turn out to be a pretty reliable and versatile player, but if there was ever a case where the team needed to prioritize need over value (at least on their board- nobody else's) this was it.

Agreed

(08-26-2017, 01:24 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-26-2017, 01:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Yes, I know he said that. I do think Smoot will turn out to be a pretty reliable and versatile player, but if there was ever a case where the team needed to prioritize need over value (at least on their board- nobody else's) this was it.

Agreed we could of got a starter at position of need

Find a way to get Justin Pugh

they will save all their draft picks for the draft...they may pick up someone that gets cut when the roster has to be reduced

Caldwell needs to go tomorrow.   He's no better than Jean Smith, and that's BAD!
My sig goes here!