Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida Times Union - Rookie Diary: Jalen Myrick not a lock to make 53-man roster

Rookie Diary: Jalen Myrick not a lock to make 53-man roster

http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2...man-roster

This is the third of an ongoing series that has extended through the Jaguars’ training camp that takes an in-depth look at the team’s seventh-round pick cornerback Jalen Myrick’s attempt to

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

PS bound. Such is the life of most 7th round picks.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Yeah, predicting a 7th round corner won't make the roster is not exactly shocking. His speed is something I'm sure the coaching staff is going to want to keep around, so he'll more than likely wind up on the practice squad. That should provide him with the opportunity to refine his skills as a cornerback, and develop as a return guy.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I wonder why his speed isn't translating into cover ability. On those clips of him being torched by Westbrook, it seems his change of direction is problematic. I wonder if that's the case overall.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I thought he was going to be a gunner?

We always knew he's a developmental guy. Hopefully, he lasts on the PS where eventually we may be able to put his speed to good use.

As for his chances of making the roster, it doesn't look good. We're not pretty set on keeping 6 WRs which tells me we're only keeping 5 CBs.  I'm thinking...

1. Jalen Ramsey
  2. AJ Bouye
  3. Alvin Colvin
  4. Tyler Patmon
  5. Stanley Jean-Baptiste - tall, rangy CB has impressed this preseason
Patmon is now a virtual lock with him coming down with on practice INT after another. Guys fighting hard to take over one the final spot are Brian Dixon followed by Doran Grant and Tracy Howard. Dixon has recently been in the mix with the starters as the top three CBs have been milking injuries. Grant was an OTAs stand-out, but he's been quiet lately. Howard I didn't really think was in the mix, but he's seen quite a bit of time on the field in these preseason games. 

Myrick is on the outside looking in at these guys, but I do like his chances to make the PS. I'm thinking Doran Grant will join him on the squad.

There are two other names on the roster at CB that I simply don't have a read on yet. Charles James II is a 4-year vet recently brought in, and Dwayne Thomas is a rookie and former teammate of Fournette.
'02

Breaking news 7th round pick not a lock to make final roaster

He will prob go to the PS
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Not surprising. There's a reason he was drafted in the 7th RD. Sometimes speed isn't enough at this level. It may get you by in college but not so much in the NFL if you don't know how to read and react.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

dixon has done absolutely nothing in the games except let his guy catch the ball and then tackle him... should not be on the roster IMO

I've got a crisp twenty that says we add a waiver wire CB pretty soon.

Johnson getting hurt damaged our depth add the position.
Patmon is OK, but Johnson was better.
Dixon is scrappy but ineffective. Jean-Baptiste is raw but seems to play smart. Maybe worth developing.

Our 6th round pick didn't make it last year Tyrone Holmes and was picked up by the first team on the waiver last year the Browns.

(08-28-2017, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Our 6th round pick didn't make it last year Tyrone Holmes and was picked up by the first team on the waiver last year the Browns.

Yeah, I saw him on the highlights with a nice strip sack on Fitzpatrick the other day (against backups as it was the end of the game).

(08-28-2017, 10:50 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 09:43 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Our 6th round pick didn't make it last year Tyrone Holmes and was picked up by the first team on the waiver last year the Browns.

Yeah, I saw him on the highlights with a nice strip sack on Fitzpatrick the other day (against backups as it was the end of the game).

CB/FS Briean Boddy-Calhoun is another guy on the Browns who we let go who seems to make a lot of plays.
Taking it to the top of the Modis building.  

(This post was last modified: 08-28-2017, 12:05 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(08-28-2017, 11:21 AM)Tornadosoul7 Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 10:50 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Yeah, I saw him on the highlights with a nice strip sack on Fitzpatrick the other day (against backups as it was the end of the game).

CB/FS Briean Boddy-Calhoun is another guy on the Browns who we let go who seems to make a lot of plays.

That's Dave Caldwell for you. Almost everyone on here wanted us to keep Calhoun too

(08-28-2017, 11:21 AM)Tornadosoul7 Wrote:
(08-28-2017, 10:50 AM)irontrooper83 Wrote: Yeah, I saw him on the highlights with a nice strip sack on Fitzpatrick the other day (against backups as it was the end of the game).

I know... I keep hearing his name when watching Browns highlights. I recall saying when he was on our roster that we should hang onto him, but the Jaguars thought differently and cut him. Instead, they kept Dwayne Gratz and Akeem Davis at CB.
'02

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 09:21 AM by JNev.)

Yea Calhoun was the guy who went low on Odell Beckham Jr. last week iirc

The Browns just cut Joe Haden opting to keep Boddy-Calhoun instead.
'02

(08-30-2017, 11:26 AM)Jags02 Wrote: The Browns just cut Joe Haden opting to keep Boddy-Calhoun instead.

More like opting not to keep Haden's salary.