Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Linebacker

It's interesting how things are shaping up. With Audie Cole released and replaced by Akeem Dent, things are looking up. I talked to Texans fans about Dent and it sounds like he's a Poz clone... aka great tackler but suspect in coverage. This label also reminds me of Akin Ayodele who you could always count on to make his tackles, but little else. Dent has played every LB position, here it's tough to know if he'll play MLB or SLB.

As it stands, here's how I see the LB position (non-bold players expected to not make final 53)...
  • Telvin Smith, Blair Brown, Josh McNary, PJ Davis
  • Paul Posluszny, Hayes Pullard III, Akeem Dent
  • Myles Jack, Lerentee McCray, Andrew Gachkar
It'll be interesting to see if Dent can beat out Pullard or McCray in the final week here. He'll have to stand out quickly.

Does this sound right to everyone? 
'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I agree with this the way it looks so far.

Does Dent contribute on special teams?

I was torturing myself and watching some highlights (lowlights) from last season and still want to believe we have good LBs but man we were bad on run d sometimes and even our stars had trouble tackling when it really mattered.

Luke Poz?

Very interesting how we continue to acquire (even lesser known) native Floridians .... definitely better than going to the state of Wyoming to get our defensive roster.

LB is probably our weakest position on defense unfortunately.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2017, 01:35 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(08-30-2017, 01:16 PM)SuperJville Wrote: LB is probably our weakest position on defense unfortunately.

And the starting group isn't even that weak which is a plus. The depth is suspect though

(08-30-2017, 12:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Luke Poz?

Paul and Kuechly had a clone made.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(08-30-2017, 01:16 PM)SuperJville Wrote: LB is probably our weakest position on defense unfortunately.

Yea I think that's a testament to how strong this defense is. A group of Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, and Paul Pozluzszszny is considered our weakest

(08-30-2017, 01:44 PM)JNev Wrote:

Yea I think that's a testament to how strong this defense is. A group of Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, and Paul Pozluzszszny is considered our weakest

Those names sound impressive but they haven't been great. Pod is our best linebacker and it's not even close.  Telvin makes nice plays but he's also out of position quite often.  Myles Jack is just an athlete, I don't even consider him an average LB.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Jack got exposed week 1. But he's turned it up since.

We have complete garbage behind our starters.

That's not true at all. Blair Brown can play all 3 positions and he's an absolute beast.

(08-30-2017, 07:49 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: That's not true at all. Blair Brown can play all 3 positions and he's an absolute beast.

"...absolute beast" is a little strong. I just see a guy running around out there so far.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I just hope the front 7 weren't playing hard because they got blown up by the Bucs and Panthers Olines.

He's a tackling machine. I personally think he's the best LB on the team.

(08-30-2017, 09:24 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He's a tackling machine. I personally think he's the best LB on the team.

Lol

(08-30-2017, 12:57 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Luke Poz?

Oops

McNary and Dent are probably challenging Pullard for that backup MLB spot. That spot is totally up for grabs. Brown is safe, and I'm thinking they like McCray enough on STs to hide him there as the backup SLB.
'02

I wouldn't say our linebacking depth is necessarily our weakest position. I personally believe Blair Brown can be a starter, so we have some depth at the position. I'm not even sure we have a good starter at the FS position though. Tashaun Gipson has been unimpressive so far.

(08-30-2017, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 09:24 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: He's a tackling machine. I personally think he's the best LB on the team.

Lol

The same guy that compared Trent Richardson to Darren Sproles.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(08-30-2017, 11:11 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 09:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Lol

The same guy that compared Trent Richardson to Darren Sproles.

What?

(08-30-2017, 06:15 PM)SuperJville Wrote:
(08-30-2017, 01:44 PM)JNev Wrote: Yea I think that's a testament to how strong this defense is. A group of Myles Jack, Telvin Smith, and Paul Posluszny is considered our weakest.

Those names sound impressive but they haven't been great. Poz is our best linebacker and it's not even close. Telvin makes nice plays but he's also out of position quite often. Myles Jack is just an athlete, I don't even consider him an average LB.

Myles Jack has not played a single down in a game that mattered at MLB. He was a part time SLB and totaled 239 snaps as a rookie because Gus Badley wanted him to learn multiple positions from the bench before using his talents and instincts to get on the field. Now that Dan Skuta is gone (he followed Prince Amukamara to Chicago IIRC), Jack should be a full-time SLB. In that scenario, we will see a much better than average Jack by the time he is ready to replace Poszuzny in the middle.