Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Florida Times Union - Jaguars claim five players off waivers

Brian Schwenke was just released by Indy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-03-2017, 02:12 PM)Tuxedo Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 02:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Stefan Charles is the only mildly surprising release, but I imagine the F.O. feels they found an upgrade at back-up NT in Ankou.

https://bomberbuzz.com/2017/01/24/cfl-dr...ng-report/

The one thing this roster definitely has is interior depth at the 3T/5T, so I'm not too shocked they swapped out one for a NT.
Stefan Charles was technically the back-up to Abry Jones at NT, so they just replaced him with one they think they like better. 

It's fair to say Ankou is a bit more of a true NT type than Charles.

(09-03-2017, 02:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 02:12 PM)Tuxedo Wrote: The one thing this roster definitely has is interior depth at the 3T/5T, so I'm not too shocked they swapped out one for a NT.
Stefan Charles was technically the back-up to Abry Jones at NT, so they just replaced him with one they think they like better. 

It's fair to say Ankou is a bit more of a true NT type than Charles.

Yeah, I know, but Charles was undersized for the position. As you said, Ankou is a true NT.

Lets look at who we cut and who we signed to replace them
Allen cut - we likely go to the PS - Signed DB Pitts - most likely gameday inactive but with our DB's being injured we needed some depth

Hayes Pullard cut - Signed LB Donald Payne, Payne seems to have been very good on STs, Pullard didnt have as good a preseason at LB or ST this year, McCrey beat him out as the top back up LB, and Blair Brown was very good.

Poutasi cut - G/T William Poehls signed, Poutasi was never gonna last, Poehls is huge had a great preseason, will prob be inactive until he can get up to speed.

Charles cut - NT Eli Ankou signed, Charles had a decent preseason but Ankou had a great preseason making plays should def be an upgrade

Sterling cut - TE James O'Shaughnessy signed, he is a solid vet TE upgraded over Sterling who might go to the PS
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(09-03-2017, 02:33 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: Lets look at who we cut and who we signed to replace them
Allen cut - we likely go to the PS - Signed DB Pitts - most likely gameday inactive but with our DB's being injured we needed some depth

Hayes Pullard cut - Signed LB Donald Payne, Payne seems to have been very good on STs, Pullard didnt have as good a preseason at LB or ST this year, McCrey beat him out as the top back up LB, and Blair Brown was very good.

Poutasi cut - G/T William Poehls signed, Poutasi was never gonna last, Poehls is huge had a great preseason, will prob be inactive until he can get up to speed.

Charles cut - NT Eli Ankou signed, Charles had a decent preseason but Ankou had a great preseason making plays should def be an upgrade

Sterling cut - TE James O'Shaughnessy signed, he is a solid vet TE upgraded over Sterling who might go to the PS

Just to add  to this ^  - O'Shaugnessy played lots of ST with the chefs - and that may be the advantage he had over Sterling.  And oddly enough, Sterling was active for five games last season. HAd he played one more game he'd be ineligible for the PS.

Mike Kaye‏Verified account @mike_e_kaye 24m24 minutes ago
More
#Jaguars FB Marquez Williams, WR Shane Wynn, CB Doran Grant and S Jarrod Harper all passed through waivers and are now on the team's IR.
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM by rpr52121.)

I know the Bear's starting guards are amazing, but shouldn't Poehls have been able to make it on their team as at least a swing OT/OG back up if he could challenge for OG playing time for the Jags?

I guess it depends on him fitting scheme, but do we even have a legitimate scheme?

Tyrone Holmes released by Browns.

Sign him back up, Cough-well!!

(09-03-2017, 02:33 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: Lets look at who we cut and who we signed to replace them

Very good analysis J-Mizzal.

The FO probably believes that any of these players released can be replaced by any number of similarly talented players that are available as street free agents.

These young players will be brought in for our coaching staff to access if they are truly an upgrade over what we previously had, and if they are not then they will also be replaced.  

I do hope that Brandon Allen clears waivers and is able to make in onto the practice squad. With one more year of experience, I think that he will be better prepared to compete for the backup position.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(09-03-2017, 01:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Picking up teams other garbage.  Chhhhaaammmppppiiiooonnnssshhiippppp

Because players released to get down to 53 are usually potential pro bowl candidates? You people whine that the team isn't making moves to improve.  Then they do make moves and sign guys with names you don't recognize, so you whine again.  Try not to impale yourself jumping from one side of the fence to the other in order to keep complaining.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-03-2017, 02:08 PM)Tuxedo Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 01:27 PM)D6 Wrote:   Like FBT speculated,  this could mean the Jaguars will sign Ryan Nassib.  It definitely makes sense.

They've had ample time to sign Nassib if they really wanted him. Figure they'll roll with two QBs on the active roster and Allen will end up on the practice squad.

That was the case in the off-season.  Yet,  with the disappointing QB play the Jaguars received this summer,  I think the dynamics have changed. 

It wouldn't even surprise me if Ryan Nassib replaced Chad Henne on the roster this week,  with the Jaguars beginning the season with 2 QBs.   With the possibility of Henne being brought back after game # 1 when his entire season base salary isn't guaranteed.

(09-03-2017, 03:20 PM)FBT Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 01:44 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Picking up teams other garbage.  Chhhhaaammmppppiiiooonnnssshhiippppp

Because players released to get down to 53 are usually potential pro bowl candidates? You people whine that the team isn't making moves to improve.  Then they do make moves and sign guys with names you don't recognize, so you whine again.  Try not to impale yourself jumping from one side of the fence to the other in order to keep complaining.

Good teams regularly find serviceable players on waiver wires and practice squads. Not saying the Jags will do that, but it does happen.

(09-03-2017, 03:24 PM)D6 Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 02:08 PM)Tuxedo Wrote: They've had ample time to sign Nassib if they really wanted him. Figure they'll roll with two QBs on the active roster and Allen will end up on the practice squad.

That was the case in the off-season.  Yet,  with the disappointing QB play the Jaguars received this summer,  I think the dynamics have changed. 

It wouldn't even surprise me if Ryan Nassib replaced Chad Henne on the roster this week,  with the Jaguars beginning the season with 2 QBs.   With the possibility of Henne being brought back after game # 1 when his entire season base salary isn't guaranteed.

It's possible, but neither Marrone nor Coughlin seem particularly enamored with a guy they've seen plenty of over the years. Also I think if they were going to do that with Chad, they would have already cut him and kept Allen around just in case Henne went elsewhere. For better or worse, I see Bortles and Henne as the two QBs on the 53 at least through the first few weeks of the season.

(09-03-2017, 03:27 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 03:20 PM)FBT Wrote: Because players released to get down to 53 are usually potential pro bowl candidates? You people whine that the team isn't making moves to improve.  Then they do make moves and sign guys with names you don't recognize, so you whine again.  Try not to impale yourself jumping from one side of the fence to the other in order to keep complaining.

Good teams regularly find serviceable players on waiver wires and practice squads. Not saying the Jags will do that, but it does happen.
You and I may understand this, but the sisters of the perpetual hand wringers never will.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(09-03-2017, 03:30 PM)Tuxedo Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 03:24 PM)D6 Wrote: That was the case in the off-season.  Yet,  with the disappointing QB play the Jaguars received this summer,  I think the dynamics have changed. 

It's possible, but neither Marrone nor Coughlin seem particularly enamored with a guy they've seen plenty of over the years. Also I think if they were going to do that with Chad, they would have already cut him and kept Allen around just in case Henne went elsewhere. For better or worse, I see Bortles and Henne as the two QBs on the 53 at least through the first few weeks of the season.

There are more immediate needs to deal with, but I think the backup QB situation is probably pretty fluid right now.  Neither Marrone nor Coughlin have any loyalty to Henne.  If a viable option to upgrade the backup role exists, I suspect they'll pull the trigger. Both have history with Nassib, which is why I thought he might be an option.

Practice Squad: Reed, Dimick, Etta-Tawo, Gennesy, Cook, Howard, Grinnage (7/10)

(09-03-2017, 03:30 PM)Tuxedo Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 03:24 PM)D6 Wrote: That was the case in the off-season.  Yet,  with the disappointing QB play the Jaguars received this summer,  I think the dynamics have changed. 

I respect where you are coming from and you could easily be proven correct. 

Though I'm sure the two key people you mentioned in the Jaguars brass would like to do much better at the position than Ryan Nassib,  the viable options available are extremely limited.  It might be a situation in which they feel Nassib somewhat upgrades the position but nothing can truly be done to substantially upgrade it until 2018.

THis is O'Shaugnessy making a Fumble Recovery on STs against the Jaguars...

'02

(09-03-2017, 02:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just to add  to this ^  - O'Shaugnessy played lots of ST with the chefs -  and that may be the advantage he had over Sterling.  And oddly enough, Sterling was active for five games last season. HAd he played one more game he'd be ineligible for the PS.

I'm not sure where you are getting this. NFL.com has Sterling as being active for 10 games this past season, and for 9 the season before. If he were to make the PS, he'd be making it as part of the 4-man exception for vets with up to two accrued seasons.

'02

(09-03-2017, 04:10 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 02:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Just to add  to this ^  - O'Shaugnessy played lots of ST with the chefs -  and that may be the advantage he had over Sterling.  And oddly enough, Sterling was active for five games last season. HAd he played one more game he'd be ineligible for the PS.

I'm not sure where you are getting this. NFL.com has Sterling as being active for 10 games this past season, and for 9 the season before. If he were to make the PS, he'd be making it as part of the 4-man exception for vets with up to two accrued seasons.
My mistake. I looked at game logs and didn't realize he was active for a number of games but didn't actually play. 
Thanks.