Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jaguars release second-year QB Brandon Allen

Seems bizarre to me to have let him go and keep Henne instead. We know what Henne is. A solid backup who can relieve your starter for a game or two. He is perfect for a legit playoff team who just needs to keep the ship from sinking for a couple games in the event their starter goes out. But he has no future or potential beyond that. And unless the front office knows something I don't, seems pretty clear to me we arent a playoff team. So what is the point of keeping a guy like Henne?

Allen has his flaws but at least he still has upside. You'd think we'd load our team up with young guys with upside to see if somebody can develop. Not aging veterans who arent good enough to be starters and arent getting any better.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In the AFC South, there are no dominant teams, every squad has a chance to win the division. Stop the self deprecation, Jville.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

After what Rosen did to Texas AM, I hope we do whatever it takes to draft him.

I'll be just as happy with Mayfield.

Redskins also put a claim on him.

(09-04-2017, 09:49 PM)rfc17 Wrote: Seems bizarre to me to have let him go and keep Henne instead.  We know what Henne is.  A solid backup who can relieve your starter for a game or two.  He is perfect for a legit playoff team who just needs to keep the ship from sinking for a couple games in the event their starter goes out.  But he has no future or potential beyond that.  And unless the front office knows something I don't, seems pretty clear to me we arent a playoff team.  So what is the point of keeping a guy like Henne?

Allen has his flaws but at least he still has upside.  You'd think we'd load our team up with young guys with upside to see if somebody can develop.  Not aging veterans who arent good enough to be starters and arent getting any better.

Henne just plain isn't very good and he's not going to get better at this point in his career.  He's got one of the worst QB ratings, more interceptions than TD's, and a horrible W-L record.  Just no upside. 

With Allen you at least had a chance - albeit small - that he could develop into something more.  Maybe he turns out to be just as bad as BB5 and Henne, but until you give him a chance you never know.

Did Allen do something in the preseason to warrant all of the disappointment in his release and subsequent signing with the Rams? I must have missed it. Saying the team gambled and lost because he didn't make it to the practice squad seems to be a bit hyperbolic. We cut a guy who wasn't ready to be a backup in the league. We cut Quinn Gray. Allen will go on to an unremarkable career in the league bouncing from team to team. He wasn't the solution here.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Allen was a cult favorite.. He had a nice following of fans only because he wasn't Henne or Bortles. But yeah, nothing really special. Bort and Henne still gives this club the best chances for W's..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I don't really care. I still think Allen was a better option than Henne, but ultimately we are gonna have a whole knew stable of QB's next year via the draft and free agency, so even if we would've kept Allen, he was gonna gone after this year. Allen was never gonna be a franchise QB and it was very obvious the front office was never gonna promote him to be Bortles' backup, so we might as well open the roster spot.

Allen was not Bortles or Henne.

He created a buzz and excitement because we were looking for a replacement. He really wasn't all that good. To me, if he swapped jerseys with Bortles, they would be the same QB. Allen just throws the ball better.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(09-05-2017, 08:22 AM)FBT Wrote: We cut a guy who wasn't ready to be a backup in the league. We cut Quinn Gray. Allen will go on to an unremarkable career in the league bouncing from team to team. He wasn't the solution here.

I can't handle such logic.

Ya'll sleeping on Allen SMH...

Just wait... you'll see.

Those 3 INTs against Falcons camp fodder were a little fluky and I think Allen pressed a bit trying to make his case for a job in the midst of a situation the Jaguars should have never put themselves in with a late 'competition'. I think Allen probably thought he had a window to ball out and steal a job.
He made mistakes...

But his ability, his zip, his accuracy... he looked like a project really starting to take shape.
And we just tossed him away for Chad freakin Henne.

Ridiculous.

(09-05-2017, 01:23 PM)Kane Wrote: Ya'll sleeping on Allen SMH...

Just wait... you'll see.

Those 3 INTs against Falcons camp fodder were a little fluky and I think Allen pressed a bit trying to make his case for a job in the midst of a situation the Jaguars should have never put themselves in with a late 'competition'. I think Allen probably thought he had a window to ball out and steal a job.
He made mistakes...

But his ability, his zip, his accuracy... he looked like a project really starting to take shape.

Ridiculous.

The flaw in your logic is that he was "tossed away" for Henne.  He was released because he wasn't good enough to make the final 53.  Had he actually shown he was better than Henne, the team would have opted for the cheaper contract.  The fact that he was released is a good indication that those who know, didn't see this budding star that many on this board fantasize he was becoming.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(09-05-2017, 01:27 PM)FBT Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 01:23 PM)Kane Wrote: Ya'll sleeping on Allen SMH...

Just wait... you'll see.

He made mistakes...

Ridiculous.

The flaw in your logic is that he was "tossed away" for Henne.  He was released because he wasn't good enough to make the final 53.  Had he actually shown he was better than Henne, the team would have opted for the cheaper contract.  The fact that he was released is a good indication that those who know, didn't see this budding star that many on this board fantasize he was becoming.
But he was good enough last year to keep on the 53?

How about... this team seemingly is pretty good at screwing up stuff like this?

They also traded L-Bo for chump change... and then picked up an OL guy off waivers that has like no experience in any games...

I know you like to beat your chest about being right a lot... he was claimed... when many of you naysayers said he wouldn't.
So I guess you guys can be wrong just as much as anyone else... imagine that.

I'm not saying BA is going to set the world on fire this season. But we invested time into BA... and he looked like a QB with a future.
Henne is trash. Period. Bortles is done (maybe...probably)...
This move makes zero sense.

(09-05-2017, 01:37 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 01:27 PM)FBT Wrote: The flaw in your logic is that he was "tossed away" for Henne.  He was released because he wasn't good enough to make the final 53.  Had he actually shown he was better than Henne, the team would have opted for the cheaper contract.  The fact that he was released is a good indication that those who know, didn't see this budding star that many on this board fantasize he was becoming.

They also traded L-Bo for chump change... and then picked up an OL guy off waivers that has like no experience in any games...

I know you like to beat your chest about being right a lot... he was claimed... when many of you naysayers said he wouldn't.

I'm not saying BA is going to set the world on fire this season. But we invested time into BA... and he looked like a QB with a future.

There's a more discerning eye calling the shots on personnel decisions now, and he obviously didn't think Allen was worth making the final cut.

Odds are there was an option to Trade Bowanko or release him.  If you can get something for a guy that you don't see as part of your long-term plans, you pull the trigger before you cut him.

Allen was claimed.  Let's have a parade.  Let me know when he actually sees the field because he earned a start.  Just be warned that you shouldn't hold your breath for that happening.  All Allen being claimed shows is that there's a real dearth of talent at the QB position right now, and teams are desperate to look at ANY options available to them on the cheap.

The move makes complete sense.  Coughlin didn't see him as part of the future for this team, so he cut him.  Many here are assuming he was going to wind up on the practice squad.  There's no indication that was ever actually the plan.  I'll trust Tom's evaluation skills on this one.

Welp, I was wrong.  I didn't think  Allen would get scooped up by any other team. 

I'm with others though: the likelihood of Allen seeing some meaningful playing time is very slim.

(09-05-2017, 01:37 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 01:27 PM)FBT Wrote: The flaw in your logic is that he was "tossed away" for Henne.  He was released because he wasn't good enough to make the final 53.  Had he actually shown he was better than Henne, the team would have opted for the cheaper contract.  The fact that he was released is a good indication that those who know, didn't see this budding star that many on this board fantasize he was becoming.

You need to keep things in perspective.  He was "good enough" last season because of the roster being depleted of talent and the potential that they could have lost this "prospect" during the waiver process.

Obviously the "prospect" wasn't good enough to be "protected" by keeping him on the active roster this season.  Many speculate (myself included) that the original intention was to move him to the practice squad.

Here's a news bulletin...  even if he made it to the practice squad any team is still able to sign him.

Here's another thought... which player's roster spot should he hold right now (and don't say Bortles or Henne because you will look foolish)?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-05-2017, 03:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 01:37 PM)Kane Wrote: But he was good enough last year to keep on the 53?

You need to keep things in perspective.  He was "good enough" last season because of the roster being depleted of talent and the potential that they could have lost this "prospect" during the waiver process.

Obviously the "prospect" wasn't good enough to be "protected" by keeping him on the active roster this season.  Many speculate (myself included) that the original intention was to move him to the practice squad.

Here's a news bulletin...  even if he made it to the practice squad any team is still able to sign him.

Here's another thought... which player's roster spot should he hold right now (and don't say Bortles or Henne because you will look foolish)?

Guess I'll look foolish then.

Henne's spot.

We could have cut Henne and gotten another Henne from the scrap heap. The fact that this franchise holds onto Henne like he is some extra coach or something is what really looks foolish.
Our roster was so devoid of talent last year to hold a 3rd QB all year but this year it is so much better? C'mon..

Like I said.. I don't suspect BA to light up the league this year. But he surely would have been a better #2 option for us than Henne.
And with another season in (or maybe more reps this year would have done him some good) I personally think he could develop into a solid backup/fringe starter.

I won't dwell on it really... Just haven't been on the internet all weekend to make any comment about the matter and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Flame away if you must.
I feel content and don't feel a bit foolish at all.

Just so we're clear....
The decision makers for the Jags thought Bortles was good enough... then he wasn't, but Henne was so 'meh' they went back to Bortles by default.
They thought the OL was good enough to only make minimal moves and we still don't know who is starting at LG.
They thought with the state of our roster (our OL and our QB mainly) a RB at #4 overall was a good selection....

Sorry if I'm not all on board with Marrone and Caldwell's line of thought currently.

(09-05-2017, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 03:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You need to keep things in perspective.  He was "good enough" last season because of the roster being depleted of talent and the potential that they could have lost this "prospect" during the waiver process.

Guess I'll look foolish then.

Henne's spot.

We could have cut Henne and gotten another Henne from the scrap heap
. The fact that this franchise holds onto Henne like he is some extra coach or something is what really looks foolish.
Our roster was so devoid of talent last year to hold a 3rd QB all year but this year it is so much better? C'mon..

Like I said.. I don't suspect BA to light up the league this year. But he surely would have been a better #2 option for us than Henne.
And with another season in (or maybe more reps this year would have done him some good) I personally think he could develop into a solid backup/fringe starter.

I won't dwell on it really... Just haven't been on the internet all weekend to make any comment about the matter and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Flame away if you must.
I feel content and don't feel a bit foolish at all.

Just so we're clear....
The decision makers for the Jags thought Bortles was good enough... then he wasn't, but Henne was so 'meh' they went back to Bortles by default.
They thought the OL was good enough to only make minimal moves and we still don't know who is starting at LG.
They thought with the state of our roster (our OL and our QB mainly) a RB at #4 overall was a good selection....

Sorry if I'm not all on board with Marrone and Caldwell's line of thought currently.

So you would "cut Henne" and "get another Henne from the scrap heap"?  What does that solve?

Are you saying that Brandon Allen belongs on the scrap heap or that he's "another Henne"?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Kane, you make good points. I'll just say this: is it possible to wait and actually see how the team looks at the START of the season? I am just a fan, unlike great football minds in our midst, but I feel we should wait to see the product before evaluating it. Except perhaps preseason is a prime indicator these days. Breathe folks. A few more days till all out Modis invasion.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Dang, Kane spittin that fye.

I get what he is saying. Why not cut Henne or at least rade him. You know what he is. If BK5 sucks, you could have put in BK5 Jr. BA is sort of exciting and he is mobile. There are multiple QBs that are better than Henne that we could sign for the league min. Does Henne really deserve his contract right now? What is it 3 mil this year? HA!
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend