Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jaguars release second-year QB Brandon Allen

(09-05-2017, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 03:15 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: You need to keep things in perspective.  He was "good enough" last season because of the roster being depleted of talent and the potential that they could have lost this "prospect" during the waiver process.

Obviously the "prospect" wasn't good enough to be "protected" by keeping him on the active roster this season.  Many speculate (myself included) that the original intention was to move him to the practice squad.

Here's a news bulletin...  even if he made it to the practice squad any team is still able to sign him.

Here's another thought... which player's roster spot should he hold right now (and don't say Bortles or Henne because you will look foolish)?

Guess I'll look foolish then.

Henne's spot.

We could have cut Henne and gotten another Henne from the scrap heap. The fact that this franchise holds onto Henne like he is some extra coach or something is what really looks foolish.
Our roster was so devoid of talent last year to hold a 3rd QB all year but this year it is so much better? C'mon..

Like I said.. I don't suspect BA to light up the league this year. But he surely would have been a better #2 option for us than Henne.
And with another season in (or maybe more reps this year would have done him some good) I personally think he could develop into a solid backup/fringe starter.

I won't dwell on it really... Just haven't been on the internet all weekend to make any comment about the matter and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Flame away if you must.
I feel content and don't feel a bit foolish at all.

Just so we're clear....
The decision makers for the Jags thought Bortles was good enough... then he wasn't, but Henne was so 'meh' they went back to Bortles by default.
They thought the OL was good enough to only make minimal moves and we still don't know who is starting at LG.
They thought with the state of our roster (our OL and our QB mainly) a RB at #4 overall was a good selection....

Sorry if I'm not all on board with Marrone and Caldwell's line of thought currently.

Caldwell and Marrone aren't making the personnel decisions ultimately. I'll trust Doug's evaluation of Allen since he had to be the one recommending they cut him, but Coughlin has the final say.  I do trust his evaluation, and he obviously agreed.  Allen didn't do enough to think he could compete for the #2 spot, and he wasn't a long term solution as a starter, so he became expendable. That's just the reality.

As far as cutting Henne, keeping Allen, and signing another Henne may make total sense to you, but you still have to take someone's roster spot beyond Henne to make that happen. Who are you cutting?
(09-05-2017, 04:42 PM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Dang, Kane spittin that fye.

I get what he is saying. Why not cut Henne or at least rade him. You know what he is. If BK5 sucks, you could have put in BK5 Jr. BA is sort of exciting and he is mobile. There are multiple QBs that are better than Henne that we could sign for the league min. Does Henne really deserve his contract right now? What is it 3 mil this year? HA!

Henne holds the advantage over Allen or any free agent because of his familiarity with the system and personnel.  He sucks, but that matters.  If Bortles gets hurt, Allen would wind up fully exposed because he wouldn't be facing scrubs.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tim, applause for maintaining patience and team spirit to give sane responses, albeit to inane musings...
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

(09-05-2017, 03:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 03:40 PM)Kane Wrote: Guess I'll look foolish then.

Henne's spot.

We could have cut Henne and gotten another Henne from the scrap heap
. The fact that this franchise holds onto Henne like he is some extra coach or something is what really looks foolish.
Our roster was so devoid of talent last year to hold a 3rd QB all year but this year it is so much better? C'mon..

Like I said.. I don't suspect BA to light up the league this year. But he surely would have been a better #2 option for us than Henne.
And with another season in (or maybe more reps this year would have done him some good) I personally think he could develop into a solid backup/fringe starter.

I won't dwell on it really... Just haven't been on the internet all weekend to make any comment about the matter and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
Flame away if you must.
I feel content and don't feel a bit foolish at all.

Just so we're clear....
The decision makers for the Jags thought Bortles was good enough... then he wasn't, but Henne was so 'meh' they went back to Bortles by default.
They thought the OL was good enough to only make minimal moves and we still don't know who is starting at LG.
They thought with the state of our roster (our OL and our QB mainly) a RB at #4 overall was a good selection....

Sorry if I'm not all on board with Marrone and Caldwell's line of thought currently.

So you would "cut Henne" and "get another Henne from the scrap heap"?  What does that solve?

Are you saying that Brandon Allen belongs on the scrap heap or that he's "another Henne"?
I'm saying you can cut Henne because there are currently a dozen FA QBs out of work just like him.

BA is young and mobile and moldable.
Henne is what he is.

We could have cut Henne. Kept BA. Played Bortles... when Bortles ultimately is benched, play BA, bring in ANY FA QB (equal to or possibly Henne)

That was an option.
Someone thought the better option was to waive BA, hoping he'd make it to our PS.
He did not. 

Sorry... just not a fan of the move.

Keeping Henne cuz he "knows the playbook" or whatever is silly reasoning.
Henne has shown to be incapable of much outside of holding a clipboard.
But we needed to keep him... cuz he knows the playbook and is familiar.

Rolleyes

Whatever though no sweat off my sack... We'll just be closer to the #1 overall pick this way lol

(09-06-2017, 09:30 AM)Kane Wrote:
(09-05-2017, 03:52 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: So you would "cut Henne" and "get another Henne from the scrap heap"?  What does that solve?

Are you saying that Brandon Allen belongs on the scrap heap or that he's "another Henne"?
I'm saying you can cut Henne because there are currently a dozen FA QBs out of work just like him.

BA is young and mobile and moldable.
Henne is what he is.

We could have cut Henne. Kept BA. Played Bortles... when Bortles ultimately is benched, play BA, bring in ANY FA QB (equal to or possibly Henne)

That was an option.
Someone thought the better option was to waive BA, hoping he'd make it to our PS.
He did not. 

Sorry... just not a fan of the move.

Keeping Henne cuz he "knows the playbook" or whatever is silly reasoning.
Henne has shown to be incapable of much outside of holding a clipboard.
But we needed to keep him... cuz he knows the playbook and is familiar.

Rolleyes

Whatever though no sweat off my sack... We'll just be closer to the #1 overall pick this way lol

Fuego take.

#Facts
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

A lot of people on this board treat Brandon Allen much like TMD used to treat Ryan Mallett: Like he's Tom Brady, when he can't even beat out Blake freakin' Bortles.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM by Jagwired.)

/thread, From the O-zone

Jim from Neptune Beach, FL:

I thought Brandon Allen's game looked a lot more like Bortles’ game in that he was more mobile, could throw on the run, better able to evade a rush, etc. When Head Coach Doug Marrone decided to make Bortles the starter, weren't a lot of those reasons applicable to that decision? The O-line needed some help. Henne's knock was he wasn't as mobile. So, in a game situation, given those circumstances, if Bortles were to be injured, wouldn't Allen make a better, more offensive-line compatible sub? The game plan wouldn't need to be adjusted to a different style of quarterback play. If that's the case, then Allen would have been a more logical "next QB up."

John: If this were next week, this would be Look-Ahead Wednesday with no more discussion of the previous game. We’re reaching Look-Ahead time with Brandon Allen – though I realize many fans/readers won’t completely look ahead for some time. Bottom line: this didn’t appear to be a hard decision. While there was a buzz among fans for Allen to be the backup or perhaps push for a starting role, there were no signs that Allen was remotely close to starting or particularly close to being the backup for the Jaguars. One sign of this was when Marrone made a point to say Henne was the backup quarterback early in training camp; this from a head coach who revealed comparatively little about the depth chart throughout August. Another sign of this was while Marrone opened up the starting quarterback competition midway through preseason, he referred repeatedly to two quarterbacks – Henne and Bortles – and not Allen. Lastly, the Jaguars released Allen this weekend; considering the relatively uncertainty they had at the starting position, to release Allen shows they certainly did not want him starting or as the first option. I make none of these points to denigrate Allen. I like him and thought he had played well enough to be the third quarterback. The team clearly did not. Why? While no one on the Jaguars has anything to gain by going overboard in detailing Allen’s shortcomings, Marrone did indicate late in the preseason that he had played better in games than in practice. And while it’s good for a player to be a “gamer” against third-team competition in straightforward preseason work, the Jaguars clearly saw enough in practice that they believed he would not fare nearly as well in the regular season against front-line players with teams game-planning and scheming. The feeling was strong that the concerns about Allen would be magnified the more he played. This undoubtedly won’t placate fans who understandably question most about an organization that has struggled in recent seasons, but perhaps that explains a bit of why Allen now is with the Rams and not the Jaguars.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 09-06-2017, 12:39 PM by Kane.)

(09-06-2017, 12:06 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: A lot of people on this board treat Brandon Allen much like TMD used to treat Ryan Mallett: Like he's Tom Brady, when he can't even beat out Blake freakin' Bortles.

Not really. Hyperbole much?

(09-06-2017, 12:11 PM)Jagwired Wrote: /thread, From the O-zone

I thought Brandon Allen's game looked a lot more like Bortles’ game in that he was more mobile, could throw on the run, better able to evade a rush, etc. When Head Coach Doug Marrone decided to make Bortles the starter, weren't a lot of those reasons applicable to that decision? The O-line needed some help. Henne's knock was he wasn't as mobile. So, in a game situation, given those circumstances, if Bortles were to be injured, wouldn't Allen make a better, more offensive-line compatible sub? The game plan wouldn't need to be adjusted to a different style of quarterback play. If that's the case, then Allen would have been a more logical "next QB up."

John: If this were next week, this would be Look-Ahead Wednesday with no more discussion of the previous game. We’re reaching Look-Ahead time with Brandon Allen – though I realize many fans/readers won’t completely look ahead for some time. Bottom line: this didn’t appear to be a hard decision. While there was a buzz among fans for Allen to be the backup or perhaps push for a starting role, there were no signs that Allen was remotely close to starting or particularly close to being the backup for the Jaguars. One sign of this was when Marrone made a point to say Henne was the backup quarterback early in training camp; this from a head coach who revealed comparatively little about the depth chart throughout August. Another sign of this was while Marrone opened up the starting quarterback competition midway through preseason, he referred repeatedly to two quarterbacks – Henne and Bortles – and not Allen. Lastly, the Jaguars released Allen this weekend; considering the relatively uncertainty they had at the starting position, to release Allen shows they certainly did not want him starting or as the first option. I make none of these points to denigrate Allen. I like him and thought he had played well enough to be the third quarterback. The team clearly did not. Why? While no one on the Jaguars has anything to gain by going overboard in detailing Allen’s shortcomings, Marrone did indicate late in the preseason that he had played better in games than in practice. And while it’s good for a player to be a “gamer” against third-team competition in straightforward preseason work, the Jaguars clearly saw enough in practice that they believed he would not fare nearly as well in the regular season against front-line players with teams game-planning and scheming. The feeling was strong that the concerns about Allen would be magnified the more he played. This undoubtedly won’t placate fans who understandably question most about an organization that has struggled in recent seasons, but perhaps that explains a bit of why Allen now is with the Rams and not the Jaguars.

Haha /thread because of something John Oesher said?
Gimme a break...

This dude is the epitome of say it is one way until the franchise does another and then say it had to be that way all along.

"so and so is the starter" until he isn't
"they like Jack at MLB and Poz at SLB they wouldn't switch em back" oops they did..
"Henne will win/won the starting gig"... except he didn't.

(09-06-2017, 12:37 PM)Kane Wrote: Haha /thread because of something John Oesher said?
Gimme a break...

This dude is the epitome of say it is one way until the franchise does another and then say it had to be that way all along.

"they like Jack at MLB and Poz at SLB they wouldn't switch em back" oops they did..

Is what he said not true? Apparently it is because Allen is indeed gone and never was part of the conversation outside message boarders and social.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(09-06-2017, 12:45 PM)Jagwired Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 12:37 PM)Kane Wrote: Haha /thread because of something John Oesher said?
Gimme a break...

Is what he said not true? Apparently it is because Allen is indeed gone and never was part of the conversation outside message boarders and social.

I guess that depends on if you want to believe it or not.
lol
I honestly believe this franchise has cut off its nose to spite its face with the whole QB conundrum. And I've said many times before, I'm not claiming Allen to be the 2nd coming of Brady...
but keeping him on would offer some actual hope for the season when Bortles is eventually pulled/injured/whatever...
And they did want him for the PS, (and they held him on the 53 last year) so it isn't like he's just some scrub.

But they didn't want to make the bold move of releasing Bortles or Henne.
And so.... when we're 1-7 after 8 games and they trot out Henne to save the season... you'll see it in the seats.
And like many have pointed out elsewhere, it seems they aren't even trying.

And you can say they know what they are doing all you want... I used to say the same thing when people criticized a GM or HC moves...
No I don't think something John has to say in his awful Ozone should be the conversation ender of anything.

However... I am already tired of arguing the subject of a player no longer with the organization... Just wanted to throw in my opinion on it all before the season starts and the board is flooded with "ermergerd we are teh sucks" threads...
And of course... the usual suspects post their "the franchise made the right move" (despite making all the wrong moves) posts.
Alls I'm saying is... a season down the drain would be far more palatable watching BA run and gun for the final 5 or 6 games or whatever, as opposed to watching Henne play statue and get crushed.

Hopefully ALLLL of this is moot and Bortles suddenly is a good QB for us.
But based on the past, the future looks grim.

Bingo.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-06-2017, 02:00 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:

Bingo.

Ahem... These same Jaguars saw enough in Bortles and Henne to roll with them for their "win now" campaign.

k

(09-06-2017, 02:31 PM)Kane Wrote: Ahem... These same Jaguars saw enough in Bortles and Henne to roll with them for their "win now" campaign.

k

No, they saw them as their only option.

Who else would you have went with?  Oh right.  Brandon Allen.  That says it all right there.  The guy who hasn't played in a regular season game.  Yeah, let's trust him to be our backup should Blake Bortles go down.  Sounds like a plan! I doubt Brandon Allen is a starter on the Rams, and they have Jared Goff as their QB, and I'd take Bortles over Goff.

(09-06-2017, 03:18 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 02:31 PM)Kane Wrote: Ahem... These same Jaguars saw enough in Bortles and Henne to roll with them for their "win now" campaign.

k

Who else would you have went with?  Oh right.  Brandon Allen.  That says it all right there.  The guy who hasn't played in a regular season game.  Yeah, let's trust him to be our backup should Blake Bortles go down.  Sounds like a plan! I doubt Brandon Allen is a starter on the Rams, and they have Jared Goff as their QB, and I'd take Bortles over Goff.

But to say Bortles and Henne were their only options is a down right lie.
There were options to draft or sign or trade for a multitude of other QBs.

Yes... I would have went into the season with BA the backup and Henne in the unemployment line.
I haven't said that one or the other would be season changing... only that Brandon Allen is cheaper, younger, and just as capable to lose games for us.
Except no one has seen him in live games, real regular season games. So based on practice Bortles is the guy that is supposed to win now and if not Henne is coming to save the day? And Allen was so bad that he couldn't even be given a shot. Despite the awful play shown by Bortles in both open practices and preseason.

Nice.

This franchise is bending over itself to try to make Bortles something he isn't... and worse.. trying to make Henne something he definitely isn't.
Without giving a second look to a guy that they truly don't know.

The Rams decided BA was good enough to warrant a spot on their roster... I'm sure other teams would have put in a claim also (even though everyone on here claimed he wouldn't get claimed lol)
But we're over here with Bortles and Henne like 'nah, we good'

BAGAGAGAJAHAJAJSKAJSKAHS
too funny
#becausejaguars

(09-06-2017, 03:18 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote:

k

Respectively, they could have went with Christian Ponder, Aaron Murray, Joe Webb, RGIII, and Kaepernick. There are options.  All are better than Henne. A couple are better than Bortles right now. I'll let you know if they really are after Sunday.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(09-06-2017, 04:13 PM)Kane Wrote:
(09-06-2017, 03:18 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: No, they saw them as their only option.

This franchise is bending over itself to try to make Bortles something he isn't... and worse.. trying to make Henne something he definitely isn't.
Without giving a second look to a guy that they truly don't know.

The flaw in your logic here is that they did give him a second look.  That's what this preseason was.  And they felt he didn't show enough against the Jags back-up defense in practice to earn any playing time with the starters in preseason games.  

The coaching staff and front office of the Jags ultimately analyzed his play and deemed it unworthy of a roster spot. 

Keep in mind that this decision is a product of input from a new QB coach, a new HC, a new coordinator and the new football czar, Tom Coughlin.  Why exactly do you feel so certain that those guys all got it wrong? 

I'm not saying it's impossible for these guys to screw up such a decision, but his play vs Atlanta's back-ups made it pretty easy for me to agree with them on this one.