Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
That Didn't Take Long - Attendance Problems in L.A.

Makes me wonder where the Chargers are going to end up. Not sure how this can be a long term financial basis for that team moving forward.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-18-2017, 02:56 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Makes me wonder where the Chargers are going to end up.  Not sure how this can be a long term financial basis for that team moving forward.

The new Inglewood stadium will open in 2020.

(09-18-2017, 02:56 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Makes me wonder where the Chargers are going to end up.  Not sure how this can be a long term financial basis for that team moving forward.

They are barely pulling 20K fans right now.  Just sad.  

I don't blame the SD fans for jumping ship. That was a raw deal.

(09-18-2017, 04:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

They are barely pulling 20K fans right now.  Just sad.  

I'm guessing they had to work out some sort of a deal with the league to account for the revenue hit they'll take until the stadium is ready.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-18-2017, 07:48 PM)FBT Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 04:50 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: They are barely pulling 20K fans right now.  Just sad.  

I'm guessing they had to work out some sort of a deal with the league to account for the revenue hit they'll take until the stadium is ready.

Why didn't they just stay at Qualcomm Stadium until the new one is ready like the Raiders are doing?

The lease was up. A decision had to be made on LA or Oakland would have moved there.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(09-20-2017, 12:06 PM)FBT Wrote: The lease was up.  A decision had to be made on LA or Oakland would have moved there.

The Raiders have been renting their stadium on one-year leases. I thought the Chargers could do the same thing.

(09-18-2017, 11:10 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 10:28 AM)FBT Wrote: And many in LA would be quite content to remain a coveted TV market that didn't have a franchise because they got the pick of the litter in what games they could see.  That changes with 2 franchises there now.  What is as predictable as death and taxes is the fans in LA not coming out to support their home town teams.  I'm not surprised that the 2 NFL games combined this weekend didn't draw as well as one college game on Saturday.

Yeah what was the NFL thinking? Fans in Los Angeles have been buying DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket for years to get their weekly dose of Raiders and Chargers games.

The last part is misleading. Stub Hub Center has only 27,000 seats.

How is it misleading? They didn't sell 27,000 tickets...

(This post was last modified: 09-20-2017, 06:31 PM by JaguarsWoman.)

(09-20-2017, 06:22 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 11:10 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Yeah what was the NFL thinking? Fans in Los Angeles have been buying DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket for years to get their weekly dose of Raiders and Chargers games.

I was thinking about the fact that there are far more than 27,000 fans at one college game.

(09-20-2017, 06:27 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 06:22 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: How is it misleading? They didn't sell 27,000 tickets...

Stating a number in absolute terms assumes the Chargers are not playing in a tiny soccer stadium.

What does it matter when they can't sell out at tiny soccer stadium?  Let alone the fact that there appeared to be a large amount of opposing fans there.

You can put them in a 100,000 seat stadium but they still only had a little over 25,000 in attendance.

(09-20-2017, 06:29 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 06:27 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Stating a number in absolute terms assumes the Chargers are not playing in a tiny soccer stadium.

What does it matter when they can't sell out at tiny soccer stadium?  Let alone the fact that there appeared to be a large amount of opposing fans there.

You can put them in a 100,000 seat stadium but they still only had a little over 25,000 in attendance.

I did not edit my post quick enough.

(09-20-2017, 06:32 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 06:29 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: What does it matter when they can't sell out at tiny soccer stadium?  Let alone the fact that there appeared to be a large amount of opposing fans there.

I did not edit my post quick enough.

I don't see how the edit changes anything.

(09-20-2017, 06:22 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(09-18-2017, 11:10 AM)JaguarsWoman Wrote: Yeah what was the NFL thinking? Fans in Los Angeles have been buying DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket for years to get their weekly dose of Raiders and Chargers games.

From what I read,  the Chargers ticket prices are 10th in the NFL in terms most expensive.   The vast majority of the tickets for the Chargers home opener against the Dolphins were sold.   The ticket issue they likely will have in their 3 year stay at Stub Hub Center from a competitive standpoint is opposing fans are going to end up with a high % of the tickets.   This will especially be the case this season when the Chargers host the Broncos and even more so against the Raiders.   Last year in San Diego,  Raiders fans were around 85 % at the game between the two teams.   It might even be a higher number this season.

https://boltbeat.com/2017/09/10/chargers...17-season/

(09-20-2017, 07:00 PM)D6 Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 06:22 PM)Scarecrow Wrote: How is it misleading? They didn't sell 27,000 tickets...

From what I read,  the Chargers ticket prices are 10th in the NFL in terms most expensive.   The vast majority of the tickets for the Chargers home opener against the Dolphins were sold.   The ticket issue they likely will have in their 3 year stay at Stub Hub Center from a competitive standpoint is opposing fans are going to end up with a high % of the tickets.   This will especially be the case this season when the Chargers host the Broncos and even more so against the Raiders.   Last year in San Diego,  Raiders fans were around 85 % at the game between the two teams.   It might even be a higher number this season.

Wow that is a crazy price point for an already tough sell but I suppose they expect opposing teams fans to foot the bill for quite a few games.  I expect that stadium to be packed full of Raiders fans when the time comes.

I saw some pictures from the game against the Dolphins and it looked like a lot of Dolphin fans were present and that's a team that is on the opposite side of the country. 

How the NFL failed to let the Raiders move into LA is beyond me.

(09-20-2017, 07:00 PM)D6 Wrote:

From what I read, the Chargers ticket prices are 10th in the NFL in terms most expensive. The vast majority of the tickets for the Chargers home opener against the Dolphins were sold. The ticket issue they likely will have in their 3 year stay at Stub Hub Center from a competitive standpoint is opposing fans are going to end up with a high % of the tickets. This will especially be the case this season when the Chargers host the Broncos and even more so against the Raiders. Last year in San Diego, Raiders fans were around 85 % at the game between the two teams. It might even be a higher number this season.

I assume the higher prices is to make up for having far fewer seats. It would have helped a lot to play in a real football stadium in that respect. The NFL should have had them play 3 years at the Rose Bowl or a college stadium if they wanted to control ticket prices. However, some Chargers players said they love the intimate setting of a 27,000-seat stadium. How will they feel about that during the Broncos and Raiders home games? If they don't care about that, Dean Spanos does not deserve to own the team.

(09-20-2017, 07:05 PM)Scarecrow Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 07:00 PM)D6 Wrote: From what I read,  the Chargers ticket prices are 10th in the NFL in terms most expensive.   The vast majority of the tickets for the Chargers home opener against the Dolphins were sold.   The ticket issue they likely will have in their 3 year stay at Stub Hub Center from a competitive standpoint is opposing fans are going to end up with a high % of the tickets.   This will especially be the case this season when the Chargers host the Broncos and even more so against the Raiders.   Last year in San Diego,  Raiders fans were around 85 % at the game between the two teams.   It might even be a higher number this season.

Wow that is a crazy price point for an already tough sell but I suppose they expect opposing teams fans to foot the bill for quite a few games.  I expect that stadium to be packed full of Raiders fans when the time comes.

I saw some pictures from the game against the Dolphins and it looked like a lot of Dolphin fans were present and that's a team that is on the opposite side of the country. 

How the NFL failed to let the Raiders move into LA is beyond me.

I totally agree with you regarding the NFL making a mistake in not letting the Raiders move to LA.   I think some owners are still bitter towards the Davis family because Al Davis sued the NFL in court in his attempt to move the Raiders from Oakland to LA in the early 1980s.    The Raiders don't have the finances to be the prime investor in an LA Stadium.   Yet,  as a 2nd team,  the formula would have made a great amount of sense.  

The Dolphins have a huge following in the Northeastern part of the U.S.  I was surprised at the number of Dolphins fans in Carson, CA. last season,  as I didn't picture them having a sizable fan base in the west and that their fans from Florida were still dealing with the aftermath of Irma.   

This coming Sunday,  I'm anticipating at least half the crowd will be Chiefs fans.   The # 1 reason why I predicted the Chargers would finish only 7-9 this season despite having a good roster is they won't have a true home field advantage all season.

(09-20-2017, 07:15 PM)JaguarsWoman Wrote:
(09-20-2017, 07:00 PM)D6 Wrote: From what I read, the Chargers ticket prices are 10th in the NFL in terms most expensive. The vast majority of the tickets for the Chargers home opener against the Dolphins were sold. The ticket issue they likely will have in their 3 year stay at Stub Hub Center from a competitive standpoint is opposing fans are going to end up with a high % of the tickets. This will especially be the case this season when the Chargers host the Broncos and even more so against the Raiders. Last year in San Diego, Raiders fans were around 85 % at the game between the two teams. It might even be a higher number this season.

I assume the higher prices is to make up for having far fewer seats. It would have helped a lot to play in a real football stadium in that respect. The NFL should have had them play 3 years at the Rose Bowl or a college stadium if they wanted to control ticket prices. However, some Chargers players said they love the intimate setting of a 27,000-seat stadium. How will they feel about that during the Broncos and Raiders home games? If they don't care about that, Dean Spanos does not deserve to own the team.

Practically everyone in the San Diego area that was a Chargers fan until this year believes Dean Spanos doesn't deserve to own the team.  

The Spanos family determined that they would likely be better off playing in a small stadium with higher ticket prices than a larger stadium that would have had a massive number of empty seats for most games if the ticket prices weren't bargain basement prices.   Either way,  it's going to be a huge task for them to build a fan base in LA.   It's a long, long term project.   They might be better off rebranding.  

The Chargers coaches and players are in a difficult situation.  With the team not having a home field advantage anytime soon,  it will be interesting to see how this impacts the Chargers in free agency in the next few seasons.

(09-20-2017, 07:33 PM)D6 Wrote: Practically everyone in the San Diego area that was a Chargers fan until this year believes Dean Spanos doesn't deserve to own the team.  

The Spanos family determined that they would likely be better off playing in a small stadium with higher ticket prices than a larger stadium that would have had a massive number of empty seats for most games if the ticket prices weren't bargain basement prices. Either way, it's going to be a huge task for them to build a fan base in LA. It's a long, long term project. They might be better off rebranding.  

The Chargers coaches and players are in a difficult situation. With the team not having a home field advantage anytime soon, it will be interesting to see how this impacts the Chargers in free agency in the next few seasons.

I know; it makes no sense that the Spanos family expected Chargers fans in San Diego County to drive up I-5 for 2-3 hours up to 10 times a year. That is why Dean Spanos does not deserve to a own a team: he completely betrayed Chargers fans, thinking only about his bank account and having a fancier stadium with all the bells and whistles.

Of course, it also is the NFL's fault. More than 21 team owners knew the Raiders have a huge following in Los Angeles and the Chargers do not. What I don't understand is why didn't they want a Raiders-only stadium or give Mark Davis the first chance to move into Inglewood instead of Spanos?

Even officiating crews are having a problem with the Chargers moving north. The Chargers/Broncos game referee said, "Timeout, San Diego," in the first half.