Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fournette, Ivory, Grant

Other running backs around the league posted stats which looked better on paper, but fans who focus on the stats will overlook the contribution made by these three. 

They won the short gains to move us down the field and the Ravens had nothing to stop them. And despite the result, that's still a solid Ravens defense.

Players like Hunt and Cook will get the headlines and the attention, and Lewis-Bortles and our defense made the big plays, but our trio deserve credit too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(09-25-2017, 02:28 AM)Andy G Wrote: Other running backs around the league posted stats which looked better on paper, but fans who focus on the stats will overlook the contribution made by these three. 

They won the short gains to move us down the field and the Ravens had nothing to stop them. And despite the result, that's still a solid Ravens defense.

Players like Hunt and Cook will get the headlines and the attention, and Lewis-Bortles and our defense made the big plays, but our trio deserve credit too.

Fournette plays grown man football and I think the whole offense feeds off it. Ivory looks different this year, whether that's due to being healthier or possibly feeding off Fournette. 

Grant, other than the trick plays, is just ok to me.

Fournette is pure power, Ivory is a great change up and finds those holes ....Grant is pure speed and its great when he slips through an opponents defenses. These guys really deliver.
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Don't forget Ivory's "mystery illness" last year that put him in a hospital for several days. Whatever it was, it likely impacted him for the season. I watched him twice a year for the Jets and just loved the guy, he's showing flashes of that form now and, if he comes back to the level, he'll be terrific.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I have said this a 100 times. Jags backfield is set up very well. You have two really hard nose bulldozers in Ivory and 4net. Both of them are legit starters. Then you have Grant who can get outside a bit better. And could probably be the starter for the the Giants (haha). Plus you have Yeldon who can also get outside pretty decent. If any of these guys has to miss a week or two I still have confidence that our run game will be decent.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

Is Yeldon still injured? Or has he lot his spot to Grant by this point.

Healthy scratch, though with hammy injuries people tend to be over protected
[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

(09-25-2017, 08:20 PM)ShivanWurm Wrote: Is Yeldon still injured? Or has he lot his spot to Grant by this point.

I'm sure it's a lot of not being forced to use him right now, so why not let him heal up for as long as possible. Especially since Hammys can be tricky.

I have to give props to Ivory in the Ravens game. I think it was one of Lewis TD, Ivory made probably the best pass blocks of his career.

(This post was last modified: 09-26-2017, 11:29 PM by LAjag.)

(09-25-2017, 07:28 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: Fournette is pure power, Ivory is a great change up and finds those holes ....Grant is pure speed and its great when he slips through an opponents defenses. These guys really deliver.

As good as Fournette is the exciting part is he has even more potential. In addition to that elite power He has great top end speed too, at full stride he can maintain it and pull away. He is a good 40 yard sprinter but an even better 100m guy, 10.6 in highschool. I'm excited to see him in a foot race when eventually catches the D out of position

While some backs are in the league are gifted and very skilled I don't know if any have the ceiling he does if his vision continues to improve throughout his career.

Have they cracked a 20+ yarder?

I'm still waiting to see a long run.

Fournette will break some long ones this year. I feel like he's got one coming soon. He's due.

(09-26-2017, 11:53 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: Have they cracked a 20+ yarder?

I'm still waiting to see a long run.

Ivory has a 17 yarder and a 29 yd screen pass reception. 

Fournette has  a 17 yard run as well.

Grant has the fake for 58 yards and a reception for 18.

I think this is the game that Fournette "breaks out" in.

Heard an interview with Joe Thomas recently where he talks about the running game. He says that YPC is pretty meaningless , what is more important is running success. I think this relates to Fournette perfectly this year. While his YPC doesn't look great on the surface, he's done brilliantly in doing what is asked of him. He's converted on short yardage on 3rd+4th down, he's scored TDs in the red zone and he's created yards completely from nothing.

Also shout outs to Jags02. Corey Grant has impressed everytime we've seen him play. He's probably never going to be a starter but he's a real nice addition.

(09-27-2017, 04:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think this is the game that Fournette "breaks out" in.  

Heard an interview with Joe Thomas recently where he talks about the running game. He says that YPC is pretty meaningless , what is more important is running success. I think this relates to Fournette perfectly this year. While his YPC doesn't look great on the surface, he's done brilliantly in doing what is asked of him. He's converted on short yardage on 3rd+4th down, he's scored TDs in the red zone and he's created yards completely from nothing.  

Also shout outs to Jags02. Corey Grant has impressed everytime we've seen him play. He's probably never going to be a starter but he's a real nice addition.

To go along with that, I just posted in another thread about Fournette getting good runs called back because of a penalty.  If it wasn't for those penalties his stat line would look a bit better.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(09-27-2017, 08:35 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 04:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: I think this is the game that Fournette "breaks out" in.  

To go along with that, I just posted in another thread about Fournette getting good runs called back because of a penalty.  If it wasn't for those penalties his stat line would look a bit better.

Yeppers.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

There was a stat also today on the influence that Fornette was having I think on the ESPN blog?? Essentially said while other RBs are having better yardage gains thus far, the jags regardless of who the RB is in the backfield is far and away getting the most 8-9 men in the box looks and our backs are getting the least amount of yard before contact and still getting 1/2/3 yards.

Years past we would probably be 2-12 3-15 but now we're 2-8 3-6 making passing more manageable and making Bortles life easier. Additionally, if Bortles can continue to play smart the rest of the year and the line hold up, then defenses will have to start playing more honest, which will only make 4net more dangerous.

(09-27-2017, 09:52 PM)archer56 Wrote: There was a stat also today on the influence that Fornette was having I think on the ESPN blog?? Essentially said while other RBs are having better yardage gains thus far, the jags regardless of who the RB is in the backfield is far and away getting the most 8-9 men in the box looks and our backs are getting the least amount of yard before contact and still getting 1/2/3 yards.  

Years past we would probably be 2-12 3-15 but now we're 2-8 3-6 making passing more manageable and making Bortles life easier.  Additionally, if Bortles can continue to play smart the rest of the year and the line hold up, then defenses will have to start playing more honest, which will only make 4net more dangerous.

A lot of 1st and 20's

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2017, 10:04 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Yeah, after watching a bad team for a decade you start to realize how much simple thing can drastically change a team. Fournette may not have the eye popping numbers or ypc but he has a massive impact on the game. He is essentially moving the ball foward versus loaded fronts while giving Blake easy looks in the secondary. While the latter may be due to Blake’s perceived shortcomings, Fournette’s ability to make something from nothing makes teams truly key in on him and really make the match ups easier for Blake.

(09-27-2017, 09:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(09-27-2017, 09:52 PM)archer56 Wrote: There was a stat also today on the influence that Fornette was having I think on the ESPN blog?? Essentially said while other RBs are having better yardage gains thus far, the jags regardless of who the RB is in the backfield is far and away getting the most 8-9 men in the box looks and our backs are getting the least amount of yard before contact and still getting 1/2/3 yards.  

Years past we would probably be 2-12 3-15 but now we're 2-8 3-6 making passing more manageable and making Bortles life easier.  Additionally, if Bortles can continue to play smart the rest of the year and the line hold up, then defenses will have to start playing more honest, which will only make 4net more dangerous.

A lot of 1st and 20's

I'm not counting plays resulting from penalties, as that sucks, but even then they're still stacking the box on 1-20, and I think last week the coaching staff said well, if they're gunna do that then sure we'll throw the ball and make it 2nd and 10.