Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
This team doesn't trust Bortles

(10-01-2017, 10:02 PM)archer56 Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 09:46 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Bortles is not the only reason we lost this game but it further reinforces the idea that he just cannot carry this team. He's not bad but he's not very good. If he has to make a play to win the game, we will lose the game. That's not to say he can't be the qb that is apart of wins and contributes to the win. He just will never be the sole reason we win a game.

actually he made a play to win the game and lee dropped it.  So imo he put the team in position to win, then on back to back plays lee put the team in position to lose.

That may be but he also was 15/35 140 1td 1 pick. That will lose every time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-01-2017, 09:57 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 09:46 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Bortles is not the only reason we lost this game but it further reinforces the idea that he just cannot carry this team. He's not bad but he's not very good. If he has to make a play to win the game, we will lose the game. That's not to say he can't be the qb that is apart of wins and contributes to the win. He just will never be the sole reason we win a game.

Yeah what you are saying is we don't have a QB.  You can't win in this league when you need to negate the QB position.

It is pitiful when you don't need the rush to get home to beat the QB. Lorton is growing on me as the color analyst and I like him. He was spot on all game. He made the point if you can't call slants because your QB can't keep the ball from being batted, the OC can't use his play book to win games. Bottles is negating 2/3 of the playbook.

No we have a qb. He has the ability to have a 4 td game (as evidence last week). He can contribute to the win. The issue is he can not win the game and can possibly be the reason we lose the game.

(10-01-2017, 09:56 PM)jseymour Wrote: Is Bortles' height listed wrong. How in the world can you have 64+ batted passes in 4 years.

(10-01-2017, 08:53 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Yea, if this team doesn't go out and sign a veteran QB in off-season they are crazy.

We do not need a veteran quarterback (another teams garbage) unless you mean from Army, Navy, or Air Force. We need to draft the best quarterback we can in the next draft. We did not pick up one last draft because there were no good options.
The reason you sign a veteran QB like Philip Rivers is because no it will take a rookie QB 2-3 years to be ready.

(10-01-2017, 10:10 PM)am Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 09:56 PM)jseymour Wrote: Is Bortles' height listed wrong. How in the world can you have 64+ batted passes in 4 years.

We do not need a veteran quarterback (another teams garbage) unless you mean from Army, Navy, or Air Force. We need to draft the best quarterback we can in the next draft. We did not pick up one last draft because there were no good options.
The reason you sign a veteran QB like Philip Rivers is because no it will take a rookie QB 2-3 years to be ready.

You get Rivers we will have to supply a cane for him to get back and forth to his locker. Plenty of rookie quarterbacks are able to play much sooner, if you research and make a good choice. Bortles could have if he could throw accurately and had football smarts.

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(10-01-2017, 10:02 PM)archer56 Wrote:

actually he made a play to win the game and lee dropped it.  So imo he put the team in position to win, then on back to back plays lee put the team in position to lose.

I think you are living in the microcosms of that one play. The reality is that the team should have never been in that situation to begin with when the jets are playing man with 8-9 in the box on every play. He should be slicing that defense up. Last week he showed up and this week he did not. Bottles was only sacked 1 time and for most of the day has a clean pocket. There was a stat that like 67% of his drop backs had a clean pocket and he went 11-30 in those throws. So with no pressure in his face he reverted back to poor mechanics, an elongated release and poor accuracy. That just won't work all game long. Did he deal with drops? of course, all quarterbacks do. But Luke McCown on this team wins this game and that pains me to say that. Blake is our guy so I support him and I know he is capable of playing well he just won't do it consistently enough to take us anywhere

(10-01-2017, 10:10 PM)iam Wrote:

bahahhahahahahaha Rivers behind this o line would average 12 sacks per game. At one point Bortles was hit on 5 straight drop backs. Part of the reason there are so many batted passes is because our o line got man handled 

Well not wrong both losses we got gashed on run D. Not sure Bortles will ever be consistent...
No Fun

Whoever is saying the line would get Rivers killed is not watching the games or trolling

Jets earned 17 points against our defense in regulation. Bortles handed them the extra 3 after the D saved it from being a gift of 7. Regardless of the deficiencies in defending the run today, the D giving up 17 should have been enough to win. Our D also spotted us 7 (meaning the net points our D is responsible for is effectively 10). Our offense should have been able to muster more than 13 points against the Jets. Lee should have caught the ball, Benn shouldn't have pulled the defender to the ground and Poz shouldn't have lost his cool, but we never should have been in the situation where those were make or break plays. Play calling and personnel decisions at times were questionable today as well, but a mediocre QB would have led this offense to score 14 or more points in regulation and taken the win.

(10-01-2017, 10:43 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-01-2017, 10:10 PM)iam Wrote: The reason you sign a veteran QB like Philip Rivers is because no it will take a rookie QB 2-3 years to be ready.

bahahhahahahahaha Rivers behind this o line would average 12 sacks per game. At one point Bortles was hit on 5 straight drop backs. Part of the reason there are so many batted passes is because our o line got man handled 
The line isn’t the problem. And teams would never put 8 and 10 in the box with our RB and a QB like Rivers

Even if he had all the talent in the world, I can't understand how you can justify playing a QB so plainly low on confidence.

(10-02-2017, 12:02 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Jets earned 17 points against our defense in regulation.  Bortles handed them the extra 3 after the D saved it from being a gift of 7.  Regardless of the deficiencies in defending the run today, the D giving up 17 should have been enough to win.  Our D also spotted us 7 (meaning the net points our D is responsible for is effectively 10).  Our offense should have been able to muster more than 13 points against the Jets.  Lee should have caught the ball, Benn shouldn't have pulled the defender to the ground and Poz shouldn't have lost his cool, but we never should have been in the situation where those were make or break plays.  Play calling and personnel decisions at times were questionable today as well, but a mediocre QB would have led this offense to score 14 or more points in regulation and taken the win.

Yep. Bortles didn't lose the game by himself, he's just the touchstone the maginifies every other issue x 10.

(10-01-2017, 08:53 PM)BklynJag Wrote: Yea, if this team doesn't go out and sign a veteran QB in off-season they are crazy.

We 100 percent need a veteran. A rookie isn't always ready to start right away.

Like I've said forever now. Let him throw with his natural hand.

Left.

Cause you can tell he isn't throwing naturally.
If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

(10-02-2017, 09:51 AM)Jay Carter 904 Wrote: Like I've said forever now. Let him throw with his natural hand.

Left.

Cause you can tell he isn't throwing naturally.

Once he's cut at the end of the season a team with a good QB may sign him and have him spend a year on the bench reworking himself to throw with his dominant hand. Would be truly humorous if that fixed his wobbly passes and scatter shot accuracy issues.

(10-01-2017, 08:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: The bottom line is this.

The defense lost the game today, not Bortles.

Did Bortles play well today?  Meh, he wasn't great and he didn't make any stupid boneheaded mistakes or turn the ball over.  Some of his throws were pretty bad, but they aren't the reason for the loss.

The defense lost the game today by letting more than a couple of long runs go for scores.

This team is not built to come from behind.  As soon as they fell behind I knew that it was over, especially when they went to the pass more often than the run.  Again penalties were also an issue.

^ I always respect your opinions, but I just can't agree with this one about the NYJ game.

Yes, the defense gave up some horribly defensive run plays, TRUE. But,

1. The defense held the Jets to 17 points in regulation (I can't blame the 3 points on the defense that Bortles' goofy INT gave the Jets the ball at point-blank range. The defense holding to only a FG there was huge)

2. Defense recorded 5 sacks
3. Defense got 2 turnovers
4. Defense SCORED a TD
5. And the defense routinely stopped the Jets over, and over, and over again late in the game giving the Jags offense opportunities to try and do something.

^Really,, 

The offense (Lee, Benn, BB, playcalling) needed to step up.

(10-02-2017, 10:44 AM)jagherd Wrote:

Did Bortles play well today?  Meh, he wasn't great and he didn't make any stupid boneheaded mistakes or turn the ball over.  Some of his throws were pretty bad, but they aren't the reason for the loss.

The defense lost the game today by letting more than a couple of long runs go for scores.

This team is not built to come from behind.  As soon as they fell behind I knew that it was over, especially when they went to the pass more often than the run.  Again penalties were also an issue.

^ I always respect your opinions, but I just can't agree with this one about the NYJ game.

1. The defense held the Jets to 17 points in regulation (I can't blame the 3 points on the defense that Bortles' goofy INT gave the Jets the ball at point-blank range. The defense holding to only a FG there was huge)

4. Defense SCORED a TD
5. And the defense routinely stopped the Jets over, and over, and over again late in the game giving the Jags offense opportunities to try and do something.

^Really,, 

Bortles throws a pick.... Goes to the 7 yard line.... Jags defense stops them for a FG. The defense did indeed give up some big plays (one super bonehead play in not touching Powell) but they changed the entire momentum of that game with the TD.

This game is 30-10 without the defense.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017, 11:02 AM by spacecoastjag.)

(10-02-2017, 10:44 AM)jagherd Wrote:

4. Defense SCORED a TD

^Really,, 

Yup. And despite the offense's shortcomings, Bortles put the team in position to win at the end of the game and Lee dropped the game winning ball. 

Bortles had a bad game but I find it humorous that the same people blaming "pick 6 losses" on Bortles as the turning point of games aren't blaming end of the game, game winning DROPS as the reason the Jags lost. 

If "no hands Lee" catches that perfect ball, the Jags are 3-1 and in first place right now.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2017, 11:11 AM by Etdavis2006.)

(10-02-2017, 11:01 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 10:44 AM)jagherd Wrote: ^ I always respect your opinions, but I just can't agree with this one about the NYJ game.

4. Defense SCORED a TD

^Really,, 

Yup. And despite the offense's shortcomings, Bortles put the team in position to win at the end of the game and Lee dropped the game winning ball. 

Bortles had a bad game but I find it humorous that the same people blaming "pick 6 losses" on Bortles as the turning point of games aren't blaming end of the game, game winning DROPS as the reason the Jags lost. 

If "no hands Lee" catches that perfect ball, the Jags are 3-1 and in first place right now.

People are saying that because he was like 40% passing completion on the day lol. If you make plays during th game you never get to the situation where you have to make a presure play. I agree Lee should have made that play but Blake has to play better throughout.

Bortles will never make the necessary plays to win a game that’s all this boils down to. The good qbs figure out how to win that game. I’m still behind Bortles but he’s shown me who he is. I hope he gets it together and learns how to wins these game.

(10-02-2017, 11:09 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 11:01 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Yup. And despite the offense's shortcomings, Bortles put the team in position to win at the end of the game and Lee dropped the game winning ball. 

People are saying that because he was like 40% passing completion on the day lol. If you make plays during th game you never get to the situation where you have to make a presure play. I agree Lee should have made that play but Blake has to play better throughout.

I agree. Bortles had a bad game. But without A-Rob, Bortles has been very smart. He's been throwing MANY balls away. He has 7 TDs and only 3 INTs. The completion % is down because we have scrubs at WR like Lee and Cole who can barely catch. The main thing is the turnovers are way way down. 

I mean look around the league. Matt Ryan has 5 TDs and 5 INTs; he's the former MVP. The people calling for a vet at QB like Dalton (4 INTs), Rivers(4 INTs), Flacco (6 INTs), Palmer (5 INTs), Cam Newton (5 INTs), Glennon (5 INTs), Eli (4 INTs), Hoyer (4 INTs), Simien (4 INTs), Watson (4 INTs) and Kizer (8 INTs). 

Sure, the competition % was garbage but Bortles decision making is up. Only 3 INTs playing without A-Rob. 

Only 9 QBs in NFL right now with a better TD/INT ratio than 7-3.