Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
calling out D6!

This week the board is D6 vs. everyone else because of the cat fight coming up.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:well its possbille Jags could be without another defensive player come sunday. Telvin Smith is with his family were he should be due to a death in the familey. Familey always more imporent then your football team. 

d6 all the lions have to do is let jags defense get to 3rd down,and the offensse will be great for lions. Last few years Jags are great on first,and seconed down,but come 3rd down wham other teams hand it to us. Lions don't have to worry about turning it over either,Jags haven't gotton a turnover over on defense in fore ever. Again though I hope no Injurys for either team. 

Like I mentioned in the Jaguars section of the Forum,  my thoughts and prayers go out to Telvin Smith and his family.  

My guess is Telvin Smith will be back for the game and as always play inspired football.

Snowwolf,  it's worth keeping in mind that when the Lions have been on Defense through the first 9 games of the season,  the opposition has converted on 48.7 % on 3rd Downs.   A major reason for this is the Lions problems on early downs.   Not getting teams into enough 3rd and Long situations has contributed greatly to the Lions struggles on 3rd Downs.

I also hope that both teams come out of this game w/o any injuries.

Quote:This week the board is D6 vs. everyone else because of the cat fight coming up.

At least for me,  this week is like every other week in that I plan to discuss football.   With the two teams playing the game this coming Sunday.

Having said that,  like I did earlier today,  if I find information that might be of interest about the Jaguars because it's appearing on sites I normally read for Lions information,   I'll gladly post it. 

Quote:Like I mentioned in the Jaguars section of the forum, my thoughts and prayers go out to Telvin Smith and his family.  

My guess is Telvin Smith will be back for the game and as always play inspired football.

Snowwolf,  it's worth keeping in mind that when the Lions have been on Defense through the first 9 games of the season, the opposition has converted on 48.7 % on 3rd downs. A major reason for this is the Lions problems on early downs.   Not getting teams into enough 3rd and long situations has contributed greatly to the Lions struggles on 3rd downs.

I also hope that both teams come out of this game w/o any injuries.

If Telvin Smith plays history says he should have a good game statistically. Brett Favre, Matt Bryant, and Torrey Smith all played shortly after losing a loved one and lit up the stat sheets. Bill Parcells won a game after losing his mom. It is a psychological phenomenon. I don't know if Telvin can do something similar against Detroit's offense, of course.

Snow is correct about the Jaguars struggling on third and longs last year. I don't know how the 2016 Jaguars compare, however.

Is Darius Slay healthy?

Quote:At least for me, this week is like every other week in that I plan to discuss football. With the two teams playing the game this coming Sunday.

Having said that,  like I did earlier today, if I find information that might be of interest about the Jaguars because it's appearing on sites I normally read for Lions information, I'll gladly post it. 

Hurry up. I fly to Rome on Thursday. Unfortunately that means I will miss the Lions game, but I still want the Jaguars to win.

I thought the Lions were in the playoffs not too long ago?

They played the Cowboys (in a game they should've/could've won IIRC).

Quote:I thought the Lions were in the playoffs not too long ago?

They played the Cowboys (in a game they should've/could've won IIRC).

On the road in the wild card round. It was not a great season, just good enough to earn a 17th game.

Quote: Though my preference isn't to tank for the top pick, in part because of what you mentioned and because I want my team to win, one benefit of getting the top pick is it's trade value. I'm reluctant to criticize others for their preference with these type of things because there's multiple ways one can look at a similar situation, including the preference / comfort factor.

In the AFC South Prediction thread, I picked the Texans to win the division with the Jaguars finishing 2nd. The questions regarding the Jaguars coaching situation, combined with the youth on Defense, is why I didn't pick them to win the division. There's no question though that I thought the team would be further along than currently is the case.

Would you tank for Tom Brady if he was in the next draft and your team was sitting at 0-15?

Quote:If Telvin Smith plays history says he should have a good game statistically. Brett Favre, Matt Bryant, and Torrey Smith all played shortly after losing a loved one and lit up the stat sheets. Bill Parcells won a game after losing his mom. It is a psychological phenomenon. I don't know if Telvin can do something similar against Detroit's offense, of course.

Snow is correct about the Jaguars struggling on third and longs last year. I don't know how the 2016 Jaguars compare, however.

Is Darius Slay healthy?

The Lions are coming off a bye.   Wednesday,  especially when the required NFL Injury report comes out will be the first indication of whether Darius Slay is recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered against the Redskins in week # 7.   One thing for sure,  Jim Caldwell won't address any short term injuries when asked by the media.  He basically says to the media to refer to the injury report.    Coach Caldwell doesn't want Lions players discussing injuries with the media.  

Quote:Hurry up. I fly to Rome on Thursday. Unfortunately that means I will miss the Lions game, but I still want the Jaguars to win.

Patience is necessary as I have to come across information first,  as was the case on Monday.

Even after you leave for Rome,  you should have the opportunity to read the Forum after you get back from your trip.   I go back to threads from a long time ago when there's a topic I'm interested in that can help me have a better picture of what's going on in the present and maybe the future.

Quote:On the road in the wild card round. It was not a great season, just good enough to earn a 17th game.

The Lions went 11-5 that regular season and clinched a playoff spot even before the team played game # 15.

Quote:Would you tank for Tom Brady if he was in the next draft and your team was sitting at 0-15?

Good question.

The answer is no because from a pragmatic standpoint,  it's impossible to know how a player will pan out.   Many times,  the first QB taken in a draft doesn't turn out to be the best one in that class.  The 2000 Draft that included Tom Brady is exhibit A.   From  2005 to 2007,   there's no question that the first QB drafted didn't turn out to be the best in those draft classes.   Winning takes priority on this end.   After the season,   there will be very good draft opportunities.even if the wins pile up.   

Quote:Patience is necessary as I have to come across information first,  as was the case on Monday.

Even after you leave for Rome, you should have the opportunity to read the Forum after you get back from your trip. I go back to threads from a long time ago when there's a topic I'm interested in that can help me have a better picture of what's going on in the present and maybe the future.

I don't get back until 29 - five days before the Broncos game. If I could choose my travel dates the chances of them being during football season would be below zero. Family and finances forced Mom to travel this month .

If there was a way to record live football games and watch them on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, I would do anything to put Michigan/Ohio State on my tablet. I dread missing Ohio State's most important game of the season.

While I'm obviously a Jaguars fan and despite the negative things I've said (in the heat of a few bad moments most times) I still hope for them to win.  The season is a lost cause however and the Lions are in a good position in the NFC North.  I would enjoy seeing the Lions win the North and make the playoffs.  With Minnesota slumping and GB being injury ridden and not playing up to their standards I think it is the Lions division to lose personally.

I like a lot about the Lions.  I like Matt Stafford, Marvin Jones, Tate, Ebron, Boldin and Riley Reiff on offense.  Stafford is having a darn good year without Calvin Johnson.   Their defense has only allowed 17 PPG over the last 3 games and I'm interested to see if that can continue.

Quote:I don't get back until 29 - five days before the Broncos game. If I could choose my travel dates the chances of them being during football season would be below zero. Family and finances forced Mom to travel this month .

If there was a way to record live football games and watch them on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, I would do anything to put Michigan/Ohio State on my tablet. I dread missing Ohio State's most important game of the season.

Internet access is available in Rome,   Use a search engine to find an establishment that's American oriented that would show the Michigan-Ohio State game and at least some NFL games.

Quote:While I'm obviously a Jaguars fan and despite the negative things I've said (in the heat of a few bad moments most times) I still hope for them to win.  The season is a lost cause however and the Lions are in a good position in the NFC North.  I would enjoy seeing the Lions win the North and make the playoffs.  With Minnesota slumping and GB being injury ridden and not playing up to their standards I think it is the Lions division to lose personally.

I like a lot about the Lions.  I like Matt Stafford, Marvin Jones, Tate, Ebron, Boldin and Riley Reiff on offense.  Stafford is having a darn good year without Calvin Johnson.   Their defense has only allowed 17 PPG over the last 3 games and I'm interested to see if that can continue.

Thanks,  Scarecrow!

Interestingly,  in addition to Riley Reiff being 1st Round pick from Iowa,  long before,  Jim Caldwell played college football at Iowa and he served as a Graduate Coaching Assistant with Iowa.

So much with the Lions Defense depends on the health of the unit.   If Ziggy Ansah can regain his pre-high ankle sprain form,  Darius Slay regain his pre-hamstring injury form, and the team can get DeAndre Levy back relatively soon,   then there's hope the unit can be much closer to what I envisioned before the season.

There's indeed a great opportunity for the Lions in the NFC North.   If the players continue to listen to Coach Caldwell regarding focusing on one game at a time and not even think about what's beyond that,   I'm cautiously optimistic the Lions can win the division.   

Quote:Internet access is available in Rome, Use a search engine to find an establishment that's American oriented that would show the Michigan-Ohio State game and at least some NFL games.

Actually I will be in Venice during the Michigan/Ohio State game.

If I could choose travel dates there is zero chance this trip would be during football season.

Quote:Actually I will be in Venice during the Michigan/Ohio State game.

If I could choose travel dates there is zero chance this trip would be during football season.

To the best of my knowledge,  Venice has a large international preference.  You might be able to find a place that's televising the game in Venice.   Many American tourists and Americans living in Venice will very likely want to see the game.  

Quote:To the best of my knowledge, Venice has a large international preference. You might be able to find a place that's televising the game in Venice. Many American tourists and Americans living in Venice will very likely want to see the game.  

It seems crazy because Italy does not have American style football.

Yes it does, largely because of its status as an embarkation port for Mediterranean cruises.

Quote:It seems crazy because Italy does not have American style football.

Yes it does, largely because of its status as an embarkation port for Mediterranean cruises.

The exposure American Football is getting in Europe has increased substantially in the last decade.   

My guess is you probably can find a place that shows some NFL games each Sunday in every major city in Italy.