Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ramsey and Gipson Appear to Have been Right

(10-09-2017, 06:39 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 05:56 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: It's not even just those guys. Our defense as a unit is more opportunistic. It was a relief seeing someone on our team deflect a pass at the line. Just like the Jets did the previous week their QB got rid of the ball very quickly. We're only 16th in overall defense. 5th against the pass and 31st against the run (LA Chargers). But most importantly we lead the league in sacks and takeaways. If the front 7 can be more active against the run we will be an elite defense. Our defense becomes more opportunistic when we have a solid lead and the opponent becomes one dimensional.

We're tied for 2nd in fewest points given up per game. That's the most important stat.

We're 4th in points scored too, and some of those are defensive scores.

The takeaways statistic is also very important because who wins the turnover battle usually wins the game if they are not equal. So is leading  the NFL in defensive touchdowns.

I also hate the "16th in overall defense" crap. It counts both pass and run defense. What matters is which one we are better at, pass or run.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Watching Jaguars All Access, Lageman just broke down the last INT of the game.

It turns out Fowler had a very smart and effective pass rush that affected the pass.

The Steelers had Leveon Bell set to help Steelers' LT Villanueva in pass protection.

Fowler sees Bell set, and then charged Villanueva's inside shoulder, pushes him into Big ben, close enough to hit Big Ben's arm as he threw.

Kudos to Fowler.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-09-2017, 07:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Watching Jaguars All Access, Lageman just broke down the last INT of the game.

It turns out Fowler had a very smart and effective pass rush that affected the pass.

The Steelers had Le'Veon Bell set to help Steelers' LT Villanueva in pass protection.  

Fowler sees Bell set, and then charged Villanueva's inside shoulder, pushes him into Big Ben, close enough to hit Big Ben's arm as he threw.

Kudos to Fowler.

Fowler also had a sack.

The Jags played much more nickle yesterday. Colvin had a great game
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(10-09-2017, 07:30 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: The Jags played much more nickel yesterday. Colvin had a great game.

He probably should be getting more media attention. I don't know how he compares to other nickels, but he is good for us.

The scheme has been tweaked slightly. Upgrades at CB, Strong Safety, and defensive end has certainly helped. But I honestly believe the mindset of this defense has had a major face lift. Which has led to dominating defensive performances

(10-09-2017, 07:21 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Watching Jaguars All Access, Lageman just broke down the last INT of the game.

The Steelers had Leveon Bell set to help Steelers' LT Villanueva in pass protection.  

Fowler sees Bell set, and then charged Villanueva's inside shoulder, pushes him into Big ben, close enough to hit Big Ben's arm as he threw.

Kudos to Fowler.

I seen that, I thought Fowler got a piece of the ball which caused the under throw

(10-09-2017, 04:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: We still play predominantly Cover-3 but they've starting switching up who the deep safety is in certain occasions.

When teams are going run heavy they have the run side CB play FS and put Gipson switch to CB.

I thought I noticed Ramsey playing safety in a couple games randomly
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(10-09-2017, 06:39 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 05:56 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: It's not even just those guys. Our defense as a unit is more opportunistic. It was a relief seeing someone on our team deflect a pass at the line. Just like the Jets did the previous week their QB got rid of the ball very quickly. We're only 16th in overall defense. 5th against the pass and 31st against the run (LA Chargers). But most importantly we lead the league in sacks and takeaways. If the front 7 can be more active against the run we will be an elite defense. Our defense becomes more opportunistic when we have a solid lead and the opponent becomes one dimensional.

We're tied for 2nd in fewest points given up per game. That's the most important stat.

Agree completely. Last year our defense was only limiting yards, not points. This year we are getting the stats that matter: Points and Turnovers. It has been phenomenal. I feel like we have a 02 Bucs level of ballhawking going on right now. If Blake can just work out his issues, we would be a legit SB contender.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017, 10:23 PM by Bullseye.)

(10-09-2017, 09:56 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 06:39 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: We're tied for 2nd in fewest points given up per game. That's the most important stat.

Agree completely. Last year our defense was only limiting yards, not points. This year we are getting the stats that matter: Points and Turnovers. It has been phenomenal. I feel like we have a 02 Bucs level of ballhawking going on right now. If Blake can just work out his issues, we would be a legit SB contender.

I was thinking that wasn't out of the realm of possibility this afternoon.

That 2002 Bucs team forced 38 turnovers that Super Bowl year, according to Pro Football Reference. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...m/2002.htm

Thus far, the Jaguars have forced 15 turnovers.  At this rate, the Jaguars will force 48 turnovers.

The most forced turnovers I can recall by a team were the '83 skins, who finished with 61 forced turnovers, and a +43 turnover ratio.

If our defense puts us anywhere in the ball park of these two defenses, we'll be in great shape.

Ramsey is definitely in consideration for "no fly zone"

He can lock down some Vets

(10-09-2017, 05:02 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 04:33 PM)B2hibry Wrote: From what Marrone just stated in his last interview, the back end has a certain amount of freedom to roam or improvise. Right now that is working and there doesn't appear any reason to reel them in just yet.

Do you have a link to that?

Taking this at face value, it would seem the guys back there do their share of film study and have good instincts. 

In many cases, if a member of the defense freelances, disaster follows.

But it hasn't seemed to hurt this team too badly thus far-at least in pass coverage.

Post game interview on Jags site. Unfortunately I can’t remember if it was the PostGame show or the media interview.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(10-09-2017, 10:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 09:56 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Agree completely. Last year our defense was only limiting yards, not points. This year we are getting the stats that matter: Points and Turnovers. It has been phenomenal. I feel like we have a 02 Bucs level of ballhawking going on right now. If Blake can just work out his issues, we would be a legit SB contender.

I was thinking that wasn't out of the realm of possibility this afternoon.

That 2002 Bucs team forced 38 turnovers that Super Bowl year, according to Pro Football Reference. 

Thus far, the Jaguars have forced 15 turnovers.  At this rate, the Jaguars will force 48 turnovers.

The most forced turnovers I can recall by a team were the '83 skins, who finished with 61 forced turnovers, and a +43 turnover ratio.

If our defense puts us anywhere in the ball park of these two defenses, we'll be in great shape.

61!?

(10-09-2017, 11:20 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 10:23 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I was thinking that wasn't out of the realm of possibility this afternoon.

61!?

Yes.  I hate the skins as much as the next guy, but that defense was phenomenal.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/t...s/1983.htm

(10-09-2017, 10:26 PM)jaglyn Wrote: Ramsey is definitely in consideration for "No Fly Zone."

He can lock down some vets.

I normally don't read player rankings because they are just opinions by the writers. Ike Taylor's CB rankings is the lone exception. He has consistently put Jalen Ramsey in the top 10 and, since his move to Jacksonville, A.J. Bouye as well. He also ranks three CB duos. Our guys alternate with the No Fly Zone in that category.

(10-09-2017, 09:54 PM)realtorpat Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 04:37 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: We still play predominantly Cover-3 but they've starting switching up who the deep safety is in certain occasions.

When teams are going run heavy they have the run side CB play FS and put Gipson switch to CB.

I thought I noticed Ramsey playing safety in a couple games randomly

You have a good eye, I had to be told/shown via Twitter.

(10-10-2017, 01:00 AM)Senor Fantastico Wrote:
(10-09-2017, 09:54 PM)realtorpat Wrote: I thought I noticed Ramsey playing safety in a couple games randomly

You have a good eye, I had to be told/shown via Twitter.
I wasn't positive I saw it until I saw this post. I tend to try and watch Ramsey specifically on most plays.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Do Jaguars haters love our defense now? My guess is they do - and not just at the back end.