Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Myers Last FG Attempt(?)

Only thing that could improve this thread would be a Question Mark on the End.... as in will this be the last FG attempt with this team.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I was left scratching my head at the end of both halves. I thought I must have mis-heard them when they said it was 2nd and 8. Kicking it there when you could have gave him an easier shot just doesn't make sense. Was he trying to save time for the TD they stilll would have needed?

But also as the end of the first half, they let about 15 second needlessly run off the clock before calling time-out, and then didn't have time to really do anything.

Gus Bradley displayed better time management.

'02

Mark LongVerified account @APMarkLong  4m4 minutes ago

Jaguars PK Jason Myers on his misses: "It feels great, dude. It's f***ing awesome, man."

(10-15-2017, 08:10 PM)Tuxedo Wrote: Mark LongVerified account @APMarkLong  4m4 minutes ago

Jaguars PK Jason Myers on his misses: "It feels great, dude. It's f***ing awesome, man."

Lmao. Now I like him.

(10-15-2017, 07:47 PM)krauley Wrote: I dont care how much as a coach you dislike a player (meyers) you dont screw the rest of the team to prove a point or hang someone out to dry, that was bad coaching kicking on 2 & 8 and i blame the miss on the coach over the kicker. that being said, i still dont see why meyers is on a football team....any team any where! And even if marone wanted meyers to hang himself, if he would have made the kick it would have backfired on him so no just bad coaching. just like throwing it 3 times at the end of the jets game and running it all second half against the steeler last week. bad coaching!

Marrone was up against the clock...no timeouts left...kick the FG, onside kick, pray for recovery and then you have 45 ish seconds left to score a TD.  It made sense if you think...

By having Myers attempt a field goal that he would most likely miss, Marrone was able to avoid questions about how his quarterback would have stalled on the last drive. Bortles got the heat taken off of him, and we were able to watch Myers go down in flames.

The problem with this is that I feel Marrone had already chalked up this game as a loss at the end, otherwise, he would have gotten a few more yards to give Myers a better chance.

And, I feel that the coaching staff still has zero confidence in Blake in putting together a winning drive.

I think they called on Meyers early  because he has a extensive history of missing game ending field goals. 
With the team needing 10pts it was more beneficial to have him kick it with less pressure on 2nd down than it was to have him kick it with us down 3 and a few seconds on the clock. 
Protecting Blake from backlash probably also falls somewhere in that equation.

(10-15-2017, 07:19 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Help is not on the way.

Dude, he's a kicker.

I don't have a problem with the FG play call. I know a lot of people think Marrone and the coaching staff was stupid kicking a FG on 2nd down, but I get it. Kick the quick FG and leave a minute left to do an onside and drive it down for a TD.

But yeah, no point in doing that with our atrocious kicker.
Here we go again

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2017, 09:48 AM by J-Mizzal.)

(10-15-2017, 08:14 PM)Jest101 Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 07:47 PM)krauley Wrote: I dont care how much as a coach you dislike a player (meyers) you dont screw the rest of the team to prove a point or hang someone out to dry, that was bad coaching kicking on 2 & 8 and i blame the miss on the coach over the kicker. that being said, i still dont see why meyers is on a football team....any team any where! And even if marone wanted meyers to hang himself, if he would have made the kick it would have backfired on him so no just bad coaching. just like throwing it 3 times at the end of the jets game and running it all second half against the steeler last week. bad coaching!

Marrone was up against the clock...no timeouts left...kick the FG, onside kick, pray for recovery and then you have 45 ish seconds left to score a TD.  It made sense if you think...

No it didnt, it was 1:07 on the clock, you try and get more yards even if your stopped in the field of play and dont get the first you have plenty of time to spike it and kick it on 4th.

If you get the onside kick, the field is short anyways so you dont really need as much time, it was a dumb decision to kick so early.

(10-16-2017, 09:22 AM)Preach Wrote: I don't have a problem with the FG play call. I know a lot of people think Marrone and the coaching staff was stupid kicking a FG on 2nd down, but I get it. Kick the quick FG and leave a minute left to do an onside and drive it down for a TD.

But yeah, no point in doing that with our atrocious kicker.

Yea if you have a great kicker you do it, but the kicker was having a terrible day and sucks as is, why even try that
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Coach shoulda used the time he had to keep a good drive going and go for seven on the front end. Leave urself 30 seconds to onside it and go for 3 on the backend. But Myers has missed- ALOT!
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

(10-15-2017, 07:21 PM)BklynJag Wrote:
(10-15-2017, 07:17 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: If they keep him, then I don't know what to think anymore about the FO and coaching staff.

They keep troting Blake out there, that should tell you everything.

This thread is about a kicker who was 5 for 10 at Marist College as a senior.

(10-15-2017, 07:13 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: I have no doubt that Marrone had Meyers kick that last FG knowing that he would shank it badly to send a message that his time has come to an end.  I think he just wanted to use that moment as an exclamation point to Dave/Tom to bring him in a new kicker.  You can't have a kicker that you have ZERO confidence in when your looking at 45+.  I would imagine we've seen Jason Meyers last game in a Jaguars uniform.

How do you actually post something the way you started it off? Like... we all hate Meyers... he's garbage. But we're not dumb enough to sit here and think that Marrone put him on the field to purposely miss a field goal. Jesus dude, come on.