Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles 5th Year Option

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM by spacecoastjag.)

This was a very easy decision. The Jags aren't finding a better QB. Coughlin & Marrone know it. The Jags needed a REAL NFL head coach, a running game, o line, and a WR who can separate. They got all 4 now. 

Bortles INT %

2014- 3.6%

2015- 3.0%

2016- 2.6%

Tom Coughlin knows what he's doing. It's hilarious watching Alfie and BCC go crazy. That's the same clown who wanted Bridgewater and Manziel, two players out of the league. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Carlyon with more:

http://www.1010xl.com/2017/05/01/jaguars...=hootsuite

"Coughlin is betting on a Bortles turnaround. Unless Bortles gets severely injured, there shouldn’t be a huge downside to this decision."

I really can't disagree with any of that.

We'd all like him to earn a new contract and be the guy we drafted him to be.  But if he doesn't, this decision isn't a bad one at all.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Vikings declined Bridgewaters option lol

Quote:...

Tom Coughlin knows what he's doing. It's hilarious watching Alfie and BCC go crazy.
That's the same clown who wanted Bridgewater and Manziel, two players out of the league. 

What do you mean "go" crazy?  Alfie and his minions ARE crazy.

Quote:This was a very easy decision. The Jags aren't finding a better QB. Coughlin & Marrone know it. The Jags needed a REAL NFL head coach, a running game, o line, and a WR who can separate. They got all 4 now. 

Bortles INT %

2014- 3.6%

2015- 3.0%

2016- 2.6%

Tom Coughlin knows what he's doing. It's hilarious watching Alfie and BCC go crazy. That's the same clown who wanted Bridgewater and Manziel, two players out of the league. 

Alfie can be bad, but the minions who blindly parrot the weak sauce on twitter are worse.

It's all about the attention/hits/timeline for some.

Best of the worst... they are building this team like we were during the Garrard/Leftwich period.  A fearsome, competitive defense and run game that can sustain the team despite what's happening at the QB position.

Marrone in the last two games limited QB mistakes, and Tom has done a good job of that as well.

I like the direction of the team regardless of the QB position.  We're not betting the farm on any QB, Bortles or otherwise.  Instead, we're hedging against it.  We're building a team while QB works itself out, and not waiting for the QB to work itself out.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Vikings declined Bridgewaters option lol

Noodle arm was never going to beat out Sam Bradford anyway. Teddy is a good guy but he was always a career backup. No NFL team can win consistently with a 2,000 yard, 15 TD a season QB. AP was carrying him. 

Quote:Noodle arm was never going to beat out Sam Bradford anyway. Teddy is a good guy but he was always a career backup. No NFL team can win consistently with a 2,000 yard, 15 TD a season QB. AP was carrying him.

No doubt.

Quote:Alfie is in full emo mode right now. Its pretty hilarious actually. 

As far as picking up Blakes 5th year, that was coming. Jaguars are going all in on Blake, no pressure at all Blake..........

Alfie, along with Rainy Day, are nothing more than total garbage. I honestly believe he would be upset if Bortles ends up having a great year.

Quote:Alfie is always in full blown emo mode.
I have visited that site a handful of times since he took over. Can't stand his [BLEEP] and I'm almost certain he IP banned my account because I can post on other SBNation blogs but not that one. I probably proved him wrong at one point and we all know that's a bannable offense there. It used to be a good site but even the rest of the peanut gang on there is bad.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

Quote:I have visited that site a handful of times since he took over. Can't stand his [BAD WORD REMOVED] and I'm almost certain he IP banned my account because I can post on other SBNation blogs but not that one. I probably proved him wrong at one point and we all know that's a bannable offense there. It used to be a good site but even the rest of the peanut gang on there is bad.
I`ll probably be in the same boat at some point, I just can`t help myself.

[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Good.  I guess I'm in the minority here, but I haven't forgotten what Bortles is capable of and I think he will be fine.

[Image: JAGSSIG.jpg]

Quote:This is fine, nothing to be up in arms about.... If Blake doesn't improve, he and Caldwell most likely will be gone before the option even gets used anyways..... If he plays a ton better, we get a cheaper following year before having to re-sign him to a bigger contract.

Let's all be real here, Blake's not a horrible QB. Did he play very badly last year, yes. But we all know that there was a multitude of things wrong with the offense last year (coaching staff, *cough* *cough*); not to mention Hurns and Robinson didn't really bring their A game. Add on the O-line struggles with the horrible running, nobody on offense really played that well (minus Lee for the most part). We have added a lot of the missing pieces on offense and have added better leadership and coaching personnel and I see a big change in offense this year. Let's hope that the defense doesn't slip (like every year we go through; offense plays well, defense sucks it up and reverse...).

Did Gabbert or Henne, heck even Garrard and Leftwich ever put up offensive numbers like Blake has? We just need to see from him better decision making and less turn overs, and he'll be good to go. I think our team is in very good shape now. Let's just hope they get it together on Sundays....

This deserves repeating.

Bortles had a bad year, but he still has incredible potential and we'd be foolish to forget that.

This gives us some wiggle room if they decide he's not the guy after this year rather than signing him to a big deal. If he doesn't perform then he's still good enough to keep us afloat till we find his replacement.
You either die as a good poster, or live long enough to become the troll.

No lose situation for the Jags.

Quote:Alfie can be bad, but the minions who blindly parrot the weak sauce on twitter are worse.

It's all about the attention/hits/timeline for some.

Best of the worst... they are building this team like we were during the Garrard/Leftwich period.  A fearsome, competitive defense and run game that can sustain the team despite what's happening at the QB position.

Marrone in the last two games limited QB mistakes, and Tom has done a good job of that as well.

I like the direction of the team regardless of the QB position.  We're not betting the farm on any QB, Bortles or otherwise.  Instead, we're hedging against it.  We're building a team while QB works itself out, and not waiting for the QB to work itself out.

I'm Loving everything about this "Well Said" comment(s).

NH3...
"AZANE"

The Jaguars has just officially, for the second time, given BB5 their approval. Their endorsement. They've committed to him just as he's committed himself to the Jaguars. You couldn't ask for a better situation other than Much Better performance on the field from BB5 and the entire team.

I'm Loving It.

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Shocked nobody was brought in.
I agree with this.  The only thing I have to wonder if is Allen is further along than we thought.  We know what Henne is.  If Bortles stinks again it can't be on Henne.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The goal is for Bortles to throw the ball much less.   Establish a running game and the passing game becomes much easier. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

In his two games with Marone as head coach, Bortles has a 65% completion rate, 620+ yards, 2 passing TDs and no INTs. Is that just luck, or is there a real cause and effect relationship with Marone?

Quote:In his two games with Marone as head coach, Bortles has a 65% completion rate, 620+ yards, 2 passing TDs and no INTs. Is that just luck, or is there a real cause and effect relationship with Marone?

Don't forget 3 fumbles with 2 fumbles lost (the 1 that was recovered was by another Jag player).  They're more forgivable than a boneheaded INT, but the result in the end is the same and he has some accountability for sensing the pressure and holding on to the ball.