Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blake Bortles 5th Year Option

Nothing surprising about this move. If I had to guess the main reason they didn't do it before was to try to keep some leverage going into the draft. Probably hoped to fleece someone like the Jets into making a move like Chicago made if Trubisky had fallen to the Jaguars.

With good coaching this team has the talent to win the division right now, even if Bortles has another terrible (lol) year in which he throws for the second most TDs any QB has ever thrown for the Jaguars.

The bib brigade has been out in force for a long time now crying over the most productive QB the team has ever had, time for them to retreat back to their holes so we can all get back to letting the experts in charge of the team run things.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In his two games with Marone as head coach, Bortles has a 65% completion rate, 620+ yards, 2 passing TDs and no INTs. Is that just luck, or is there a real cause and effect relationship with Marone?
The pressure to save his coach was gone. That in itself was probably the main catalyst of his better performance. Game plan certainly helped as well.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2017, 07:51 AM by ociR.)

I knew this decision would bring out the best in some posters.

Quote:There's a point when a poster with an agenda crosses the line between silly and enters the pathetic zone. You crossed that line a long time ago, and you keep setting a new gold standard.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

This is literally the "good" wager of football contracts. There is a lot to gain and little to lose from exercising the option . And many act as if there is, as Vic used to say, a quarterback tree out behind Everbank Field that the FO can go out to and pick a fresh and ready QB from.

Yeah as really hope that with Couglin at the helm, he can bring back a championship and make BB a elite QB.

Quote:@ryanohallaran League source on Bortles: "Not a smart business decision contrary to what TC thinks." #Jaguars
The same Ryan O who said we wouldn't pick up Blakes 5th year option a month ago? He really seems to be in the know.

Guess this account is the one now? Rip HR86 2010-2017.

Quote:Noodle arm was never going to beat out Sam Bradford anyway. Teddy is a good guy but he was always a career backup. No NFL team can win consistently with a 2,000 yard, 15 TD a season QB. AP was carrying him. 
Agree, hopefully Fournette will help Bortles just as much.

Guess this account is the one now? Rip HR86 2010-2017.

Quote:There's a point when a poster with an agenda crosses the line between silly and enters the pathetic zone. You crossed that line a long time ago, and you keep setting a new gold standard.

How so genius?

Quote:Are you freakin serious?

There are no positives on picking up his option right now. Now we are on the hook for 19 million if he gets injured.

Quote:No lose situation for the Jags.

How so? If he gets injured we are still on the hook for 19 mil.

Quote:There are no positives on picking up his option right now. Now we are on the hook for 19 million if he gets injured.

We?

Quote:There are no positives on picking up his option right now. Now we are on the hook for 19 million if he gets injured.

The positive is if he plays well and we keep him next year we have 5 milion more in salary cap to extend Telvin, Robinson and Linder. We would also have the franchise tag to use on someone else.

But I'm sure your agenda got in the way of seeing that.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Quote:We?
He has a gerbil in his pajamas. Huh

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I maybe. But doesn't he have to be injured for all of the 2018 season to get the full amount?

If so then he would have to get hurt in training camp next year which he would most likely be long gone by then if he sucks this year.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

Are there any other negatives besides the off chance he gets hurt?

Hell you should be happy, if he struggles he's going to have an extremely short leash to prevent those injuries.

I love it when I media use "per league source".

Huh

Quote:Are there any other negatives besides the off chance he gets hurt?

Hell you should be happy, if he struggles he's going to have an extremely short leash to prevent those injuries.

Short leash, in favor of terrible Henne. They brought in no competion.

Quote:The positive is if he plays well and we keep him next year we have 5 milion more in salary cap to extend Telvin, Robinson and Linder. We would also have the franchise tag to use on someone else.

But I'm sure your agenda got in the way of seeing that.

Nobody is going to pay 19 million for Bortles next season. Should have just let him play this season as a lame duck.

Quote:Nobody is going to pay 19 million for Bortles next season. Should have just let him play this season as a lame duck.

Glennon just got 18M... lol

Quote:Jacksonville has a strong military presence and the Jags value their partnership with the military here. This isn't the market for Kapernick's politics
There is no way they would pick up Kapernick  as stated above.  AS veteran I would have a real problem with signing Kapernick with his disrespect for the national anthem.  He has the right to protest and I would support that right even sitting during the national anthem, but there are other ways to protest that is not disrespectful to every veteran that has given their life to defend his right to protest.