Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles looked good today

(10-22-2017, 05:24 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:22 PM)Nikowho Wrote: I'd love for Blake to transform suddenly as this brilliant playmaker, but I think, as much as we ALL want to be optimistic with him, you have to lay on a dose of realism with it as well....they only play the colts one more time this year, after all...

The colts are NOT a good defense. Have not been one for a very, very long time. That's no disrespect to the players they're fielding right now, but it's kind of the truth. Blake did well today, and that's enough for the week, and the one after that. But in reality? I'd be impressed if he got anywhere near 20 TD's this season, with the way he's playing. I'd be content if he did.

And much as I hate to say it, I don't think it's realistic to think he'll stick under 10 interceptions this year. I'm glad he's not the turnover machine he's been the past year or so, but that's not saying that he's made leaps and bounds, because he hasn't. He's righted the ship, but he's still just sitting in the doldrums, if you'll pardon the metaphor...

Still, glad he hit 300 yards today. Glad he did score. If he CAN keep doing that, he's going to help Fournette and Ivory and Yeldon out a lot, which is essential if this team wants to be a power running team. They have to balance the offense with good passing still, regardless of how they play it.

Bortles has always been a playmaker. He never had an OL or a running game. This is his first year he's had both
He played against the worst pass defense in the league.

Calm down. We are all happy he played well so take a week off man. You’re exhausting.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2017, 05:36 PM by spacecoastjag. Edit Reason: Spelling )

(10-22-2017, 05:25 PM)Frailbones Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:24 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote: Bortles has always been a playmaker. He never had an OL or a running game. This is his first year he's had both
He played against the worst pass defense in the league.

Calm down. We are all happy he played well so take a week off man. You’re exhausting.

He played the SAME way against the Ravens when we actually opened up the offense. You have more excuses than a teenager. 

Bottom line is Bortles will be starting next year and he's very good when he's got protection.

Actually, in referral to last year, the Oline wasn't DREADFUL, as I recall....wasn't great, maybe, but wasn't the worst in the league. But in fairness, it's true, Blake didn't have a great running back to help take the load off of him. He had to throw the ball a lot. And in his defense, not too many young QB's in the NFL could handle that kind of strain. It's asking a guy a lot.

But with the whole 'playmaker' thing, I have to stick to my belief. He's a decent game manager, and there's NOTHING wrong with taht as long as he's consistent. 2015 is gone. 2016, I think we all saw the real Bortles. Asking him to throw a lot is going to be a problem.

Remember, this is the colts he threw against today. DO you think he would've played this well against a real baller defense? I think not. I like blake, man. I'd LOVE it if he succeeds despite everybody's criticism. But I'm not going to get my hopes up for that. He's shown flashes followed by disruptive bangs.

Who cares if the Colts defense is bad Bortles played great thats all that matters, he always lights up the Colts
<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

(10-22-2017, 05:39 PM)Nikowho Wrote: Actually, in referral to last year, the Oline wasn't DREADFUL, as I recall....wasn't great, maybe, but wasn't the worst in the league. But in fairness, it's true, Blake didn't have a great running back to help take the load off of him. He had to throw the ball a lot. And in his defense, not too many young QB's in the NFL could handle that kind of strain. It's asking a guy a lot.

But with the whole 'playmaker' thing, I have to stick to my belief. He's a decent game manager, and there's NOTHING wrong with taht as long as he's consistent. 2015 is gone. 2016, I think we all saw the real Bortles. Asking him to throw a lot is going to be a problem.

Remember, this is the colts he threw against today. DO you think he would've played this well against a real baller defense? I think not. I like blake, man. I'd LOVE it if he succeeds despite everybody's criticism. But I'm not going to get my hopes up for that. He's shown flashes followed by disruptive bangs.

I think he can throw a lot with REAL coaches like Marrone and Coughlin. Gus Bradley almost ruined Bortles but Bortles is a tough kid.

Last two games, Blake is 41 for 61 passing (67%) with 3 drops.

Bortles can be great with a good OL and running game. He only has 5 INTs in 7 games and 1 INT was a fumble from the WR.

The combination of REAL coaches, improved OL play, and a stud RB have improved everything. We just need better WR play----Westbrook will help.

(10-22-2017, 04:42 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: As long as he plays like this I’m all for him being the qb. Good game Blake let’s start doing this week in and week out now

Therein lies the rub. He's a tease because he can sometimes look like a franchise QB. The reality is for each game like this he has 3 where he goes 14 of 26 for 164 yards and that's not even getting into the decision making. I wonder what we'd look like today with Deshaun Waston.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Spacetroll only comments on BBs jockstrap.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(10-22-2017, 05:50 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 04:42 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: As long as he plays like this I’m all for him being the qb. Good game Blake let’s start doing this week in and week out now

Therein lies the rub. He's a tease because he can sometimes look like a franchise QB. The reality is for each game like this he has 3 where he goes 14 of 26 for 164 yards and that's not even getting into the decision making. I wonder what we'd look like today with Deshaun Waston.

Agreed. I’d love to not have to keep searching for a qb but a solid game against a horrible clots defense doesn’t change my mind. I will give him credit for making the plays today tho. I just wish this would have been the case against the tacks, jets and rams losses. Franchise qbs aren’t supposed to just disappear 3 out of 4 games. I understand a bad game here or there. He needs to do this consistently before I  can say he’s the guy

(10-22-2017, 05:50 PM)hb1148 Wrote:

Watson is today's flash in the pan. Last year it was Winston. Two years ago it was Mariota. Next year you'll be talking about someone else when Watson has a bad year.

(10-22-2017, 05:12 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:09 PM)Jags Wrote: Bortles did a good job stepping up to the plate today with the absence of LF.  The whole team as a matter of fact stepped up and played a complete game.  The only complaint about Bortles from me today is a few throws were off and the wr’s helped him out.  But the completions and wins make me a happy camper.  But you’ve gotta ditch the Bortles love, man.  I get it, you know him, or something like that.   You want him to be great.  But if your honest with yourself, you know he won’t be the starter next year.

100% will be starting next year.
I hope it works out, and you are right! But I'm going closer to 60% right now, lets see how it plays out.

(10-22-2017, 06:04 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:50 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Therein lies the rub. He's a tease because he can sometimes look like a franchise QB. The reality is for each game like this he has 3 where he goes 14 of 26 for 164 yards and that's not even getting into the decision making. I wonder what we'd look like today with Deshaun Waston.

Watson is today's flash in the pan. Last year it was Winston. Two years ago it was Mariota. Next year you'll be talking about someone else when Watson has a bad year.

Bortle's mom?  Is that you?

Bortles took the step that the team needed and did what was needed of him.  No dumb throws, no "forcing it" and making throws when it counted.  Is he the answer at the QB position?  The rest of the season will tell.  However you look at it though, this win was his.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(10-22-2017, 05:12 PM)spacecoastjag Wrote:
(10-22-2017, 05:09 PM)Jags Wrote: Bortles did a good job stepping up to the plate today with the absence of LF.  The whole team as a matter of fact stepped up and played a complete game.  The only complaint about Bortles from me today is a few throws were off and the wr’s helped him out.  But the completions and wins make me a happy camper.  But you’ve gotta ditch the Bortles love, man.  I get it, you know him, or something like that.   You want him to be great.  But if your honest with yourself, you know he won’t be the starter next year.

100% will be starting next year.

100,000% no he won't.