Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Team Depth

I’ve seen a lot of guys get some love so I decided to add to the list. I remember in years past if we lost our starting LT or center that was an automatic L. As soon as a safety or d-linemen was out, that area was exploited. This year we lost Linder, Fournette, both Robinson’s, Omameh and Cann at various points. 

I want to say that Cole, Lee, Day, Shatley, Wells, Yeldon and Reed have shown up in a big way. We lose a guy and keep on rolling. I don’t think I remember a year where we have had this sort of depth. Even with the wideouts hurt we somehow have managed to not just lose every game because of it.

I think this teams depth will be huge if we plan on make any kind of push for the post season or post season run. Your only as good as your back ups and looks like we have some pretty solid back ups

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not convinced it's depth. I think it's better coaching, both in terms of individual preparedness and in-game adjustments.

(10-23-2017, 03:57 PM)Last42min Wrote: I'm not convinced it's depth. I think it's better coaching, both in terms of individual preparedness and in-game adjustments.

This, the absolute 180 turnaround with mostly the same personnel speaks volumes to the adjustment in scheme to fit the players rather than vice versa with Gus Bradley  Sick. We do have more depth than I've seen since that 2007 playoff run.

In 2007 we had a few injuries where people stepped up; Marcus Stroud has a knee injury but Rob Meier and Derek Landri really stepped up at the DT spot next to Henderson. Mike Peterson went down and we had Daryl Smith kick inside and Justin Durant step into a full time role on the weakside to keep rolling. Garrard missed a 3 game road stretch where Quinn Gray came in and went 2-1 against some tough teams. Chris Naeole actually went down during the stretch Quinn Gray started and Maurice Williams (who was a RT before we signed Pashos that offseason) came off the bench to man the RG spot and played realllyyyy well for us the rest of the way. Finally IIRC the SS we had to start the year Gerald Sensabaugh? went down and Sammy Knight played lights out as an over 30 veteran to keep us in the hunt and was instrumental in a few close victories. I think we had John Carney fill in for Scobee for a few games to start the season after Scobee was injured during pregame warmups vs. the Titans week 1. 

That 2007 year saw us have a boatload of injuries but people just kept stepping up and playing above their heads and the results were spectacular. While our current depth is fantastic, that 2007 year was really something in terms of depth!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017, 04:52 PM by Etdavis2006.)

(10-23-2017, 03:57 PM)Last42min Wrote: I'm not convinced it's depth. I think it's better coaching, both in terms of individual preparedness and in-game adjustments.

I think the coaching is a big part but that doesn’t mean the quality it’s the there. The 2008 season we lost our entire offensive line and we could do anything offensively. This year Fournette isn’t out and the run game still put up 188. I think our depth isn’t by accident. Day and Smoot are fourth and third round picks respectively. Shatley, Wells, Omameh, Reed, and Grant were Jars on the shelf. Even Cole is a decent stand in

I'm a huge fan of Reed. He plays with a nasty streak. Strength and nastiness is NOT his weakness. I think the reason he's not a starter is simply because of Xs and Os. But not bc he's not physical.

The colts defense is having a historically awful year. If we were playing a real defense we would've had a lot worse of a time

So. They are all in the NFL. We whipped em

(10-23-2017, 04:51 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I'm a huge fan of Reed. He plays with a nasty streak. Strength and nastiness is NOT his weakness. I think the reason he's not a starter is simply because of Xs and Os. But not bc he's not physical.

Yes, this. Guy is fast, too. Can play center now, I hear, so following Linder and Shatley as guards turned centers. And Wells turned in a helluva day Sunday, best game ever.

Ding ding ding! Josh Wells, Tyler Shatley, T.J. Yeldon, and others looked bad with the wrong coaching staff. How many of us thought some of Dave Caldwell's picks were busts when, in reality, they were just not coached or used properly?