Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Homefield advantage?

(11-10-2017, 05:01 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Hard to build a home field advantage when nobody was showing up to watch trash. It took a few years but there was no real genuine hype at games after all that hopeless losing.

You know what I think is amazing (especially about the home fan-base) during that stretch of... oh 5 really bad years (Mularkey + Gus) A lot of people still showed up. There were easily 40k (probably more if max capacity is 65k) at every game, 40kish people that said... crappy team or not, we're showing up... we're watching....

I don't know all the actual numbers of attended VS tickets sold/distributed....

But this team won like 10 games total across 5 terrible seasons... and there was still a strong foundation of fans that wouldn't give up... still spent hard earned money.
Kudos to them.... admittedly, if I lived in J-Ville and was a season ticket holder... I would have likely relegated myself to a game or two a season until the improvements showed.

One fer the true hardcore Jag fans that sat through Cleveland Brown levels of ineptitude for more years than anyone should have to.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2017, 10:02 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-04-2017, 10:00 PM)Brett Wrote: I want to preface this by stating that I have never lived in Jacksonville or even BEEN to Jacksonville. So I've never been to a home game, several away games though. I was raised in Mississippi and Ohio, fell in love with their logo as a kid and the rest is history. Still a diehard.

My question is to all of you as Jacksonville natives and those that go to the home games. After watching the Jaguars for almost 22 years now...our homefield never seems to be an advantage...in the sense of crowd noise. Now I realize it's because we haven't been great or had something to cheer about but can't the same thing be said about like the Chiefs for example? They were awful for so many years but it was always hard to play at Arrowhead because of how loud it got due to the fans cheering, etc. I know there are other teams as well. Now I realize Arrowhead Stadium is built so that crowd noise makes it even louder, but you get my point. Even as we have been playing better, I watch some of the home games and there doesn't seem to be much home support and crowd noise...

Please note, I'm not bashing any of you as homefield fans and I know a lot of you are cheering your heart out. I'm sure it is loud in some moments but when I'm watching from my TV, a lot of times it just never is even if we have a big lead. I just wish we could use the stadium to our support when our team is on defense and creating noise which would make it tougher for opponents. Will that never happen? If so, why not? I realize Jacksonville is a small market, etc. but I just hope for this some day.

Thanks for your thoughts! I can't wait to come to Jacksonville some day.

I am an original season ticket holder and been to every home game (with the exception of a couple of pre-season games) over the years.  There have been years where it's been a wild and crazy atmosphere and some particular games really standout.  I remember a night game in 2007 against Indy were the stadium was packed and downright rocking.  The atmosphere at the playoff games in '99 (at least at the beginning of those games) was insane.  

The last few years it has let up but even then there have been moments.  The Miami game a couple years ago was a pretty good atmosphere.  Even the opener against Green Bay last year was decent. But years of losing will impact any team's home crowd so it's not now like it was even during Bradley's initial year or so.  Part of it is that actual game day attendance has declined, part of it has to do with the overall excitement in the stadium.  I sense that home field advantage will come back in a hurry when the Jags prove they're genuine contenders again.

I personally didn't get season tickets until 1998.  I held onto them until around the 2012 season and the only reason I gave them up was because my job had me traveling so much I wasn't able to use them.  At that point the team was so bad that I couldn't even give the tickets away.  Between then and prior to this season I would go to games occasionally when I was in town.

This season I opted to go ahead and pick up a couple of tickets again.

The atmosphere is definitely not the same as it was in the late '90's and early 2000's.  It has picked up some, but nothing like it used to be.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-10-2017, 03:41 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-05-2017, 10:02 AM)hb1148 Wrote: I am an original season ticket holder and been to every home game (with the exception of a couple of pre-season games) over the years.  There have been years where it's been a wild and crazy atmosphere and some particular games really standout.  I remember a night game in 2007 against Indy were the stadium was packed and downright rocking.  The atmosphere at the playoff games in '99 (at least at the beginning of those games) was insane.  

The last few years it has let up but even then there have been moments.  The Miami game a couple years ago was a pretty good atmosphere.  Even the opener against Green Bay last year was decent. But years of losing will impact any team's home crowd so it's not now like it was even during Bradley's initial year or so.  Part of it is that actual game day attendance has declined, part of it has to do with the overall excitement in the stadium.  I sense that home field advantage will come back in a hurry when the Jags prove they're genuine contenders again.

I personally didn't get season tickets until 1998.  I held onto them until around the 2012 season and the only reason I gave them up was because my job had me traveling so much I wasn't able to use them.  At that point the team was so bad that I couldn't even give the tickets away.  Between then and prior to this season I would go to games occasionally when I was in town.

This season I opted to go ahead and pick up a couple of tickets again.

The atmosphere is definitely not the same as it was in the late '90's and early 2000's.  It has picked up some, but nothing like it used to be.

Yeah but I think that could change in a hurry. Jags fans are starved for some relevance.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.