Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cap Space??

We’ll have enough to re-sign Arob who is really the only off season priority. No need to spend in free agency. Just draft and find some cheap free agents where you need them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 09:35 PM by JackCity.)

Our cap only matters next year if we have to pick up Blake's option. 

Otherwise we have plenty of space to re-sign our own and bring more in.  

Plenty of space to re-sign Arob, Colvin, Lee, Omameh if we HAD to. Don't think all of them will be back though, probably just Arob and Colvin. Poz could come back but only at around 3 million less.

Malik Jackson was one of the best 3 techs in the entire NFL last year and we have guys here wanted to cut him.

(This post was last modified: 11-08-2017, 09:43 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(11-08-2017, 07:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 07:15 PM)ColoJag Wrote: So seems that Bortles/Hurns/Lewis/Parnell are our most obvious choices

The obvious choice imo are Jackson and Ivory.  Not because of there play but because of Dareus and Fournette.  The only way I see Hurns getting cut is if they want to use that money to go towards resigning A Rob.  Lewis and Parnell are locks to stay if they play the rest of the year like they have up to this point.

Cutting Bortles, Lewis and Ivory should minimize the damage and still keep our head above water for at least a year without creating any new needs, yet allowing us to fill some via free agency.

If we cut Bortles we will have a lot more cap space but I dont see it happening. I dont see Lewis going anywhere either

Honestly the only person we must resign is ARob. If he signs a one year prove it or even franchise tag, put some rollover money towards that, no long term cap impact.

Otherwise you can keep the team together if they want. Unless they want to go after Cousins, not sure what the cap concern is.

Get depth at LB, CB, OL, QB and a starting TE in the draft.

Spotrac has Jackson at $15.7 M, Dareus at $14.6 M, Hurns at $9.6 M, Ivory at 8.5M, and Abry Jones at $4 M for the 2020 season. This totals 42.37% of that year's salary cap. There is already a $44M + cap space that year, and you can bet that Dareus, Ivory, and Jones will be released for an additional $21 M.

Granted, that doesn't include a franchise QB, Ramsey, Yannick, Jack, or Fowler getting new contracts.

With the way he has been playing lately, I doubt Bortles is going anywhere.  If he keeps it up I can see a new contract.  I'm not sure about the rules regarding the 5th year option, but I could see the team negotiating a new contract before the end of the season IF and only IF he continues to play as well as he has the last couple of games.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(11-08-2017, 08:49 PM)Jags02 Wrote: We're starting to get close to it, but with the roll-over money, I don't see all these massive predicted cuts taking place. There might be a couple strategic cuts and a few restructured contracts, and I don't see them going gangbusters in free agency like they have the past two seasons, but they should be able to keep their guys possibly with an extension or two and bring in any necessary mid-tier free agents. 

I agree with this, and on numerous threads I have seen Jags02 talk about cap and he is very knowledgable about this. I love how the cap works, and TBH this is Caldwells BEST attribute. The only contract I've never liked was the Ivory one, because of the down the road dead money. I was concerned about having Linder, Telvin, and AROB all hit FA (which was a possibility) but they took care of it!... so if there is anything I trust its the work with the contracts and the right cuts when needed.

(11-08-2017, 09:57 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 08:49 PM)Jags02 Wrote: We're starting to get close to it, but with the roll-over money, I don't see all these massive predicted cuts taking place. There might be a couple strategic cuts and a few restructured contracts, and I don't see them going gangbusters in free agency like they have the past two seasons, but they should be able to keep their guys possibly with an extension or two and bring in any necessary mid-tier free agents. 

I agree with this, and on numerous threads I have seen Jags02 talk about cap and he is very knowledgable about this. I love how the cap works, and TBH this is Caldwells BEST attribute. The only contract I've never liked was the Ivory one, because of the down the road dead money. I was concerned about having Linder, Telvin, and AROB all hit FA (which was a possibility) but they took care of it!... so if there is anything I trust its the work with the contracts and the right cuts when needed.

John Idzik

If the cap is currently 155 million and Jags are 25 million below it after Smith's extension that means that Jags are currently at 130 million in " cap liabilities " to borrow a phrase. How will that rise to 164 million next year without Jags signing anyone else? And 20 million for draft picks?? Seems high......

We are t cutting Malik Jackson lmao, stop it.
LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

There is also the fact that the cap is increasing each year. I would expect Ivory to be a casualty, and maybe Jackson. We will have a decent cap space next year, probably middle of the pack in the NFL instead of one of the teams with the most cap space.

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017, 07:11 AM by irontrooper83.)

I'm not worried by the cap right now although of course we'll have to take some important decisions soon.

I don't share the "let's cut Malik" thought, yes we have Dareus but he has to prove he's buying in for the long-term and he's at risk of being suspended for 10 games with his next mistake. Campbell while amazing isn't a younsgter.
Yes Jackson has an important cap hit but while he hasn't been brilliant in the run game he's been playing through a groin injury and yet he's on pace for a career year number wise: 28 tackles, 6.5 sacks last year, he's on pace for 32 tackles and 8 sacks this season and he often commands a double team when rushing.
And I'm positive that with Dareus in he'll probably be more rested or face less double teams and those numbers can improve further in the second half of the season.  Of course if we keep opponents again at 37 plays per game that won't happen LOL.
Jackson will be a conversation but I really don't think he'll be cut after this season, you just don't cut players of his calibre unless you really really have to.

By the time we'll have Ramsey, Jack and Ngakoue (yes, it's insane we got them all in the same draft) contracts coming up lots can change, Campbell will be 2 years older, will have to see Dareus motivation, Malik Jackson will be at the end of his contract, probably even AJ Bouye contract will be evaluated especially if we develop a CB during these years.

Hurns has a big contract but a lot will depend on the development of Cole and Westbrook above all. As long as on offense we keep ARob, we draft good Oline and we get to keep most of the talent on the defense together we will be fine.
Then there's the Bortles situation but I'd say let's see how the rest of the season goes first.

It's going to be difficult to pay Malik J, M Dareus, and C Campbell next year without working some magic.

Option A would be restructuring one or more of their deals. Not likely as they are all new deals, except for Dareus who came with a contract the Jags FO did not structure. Maybe he's somewhat flexible if the guaranteed money doesn't change.

Option B is cutting elsewhere to make room. Abry Jones is an obvious choice. They could draft a rookie NT to be the depth at that position. It only saves 3.5 million though. (no dead cap) So they'll need to find a few more guys like that who are ultimately expendable. Nortman could save them ~2 million if they roll with a rookie punter. (remember the rookies still get paid and offset these numbers a bit) As much as everyone will hate it, the guy with the easiest salary to be rid of is Allen Hurns. 7 million in savings with 0 dead cap hit. That would suck - but it's a real possibility.

Too many what ifs right now to speculate. Let's see what they offer Robinson and/or Lee to stay (or not.) Then we have to see what's up with the carry-over cap money and the adjusted cap figure from the league. Our ceiling number may be higher than we think.

There are lots of ways this can work out, but the Jags will almost assuredly have to say good-bye to a couple of good football players.

2019 cap room listed on that site. 57.2 million.

Cap space is no issue for this team. This team front loads contracts to a large extent. Furthermore, they can re-negotiate contracts to eat up the cap. Actually, they do it all the time (ie: converting signing bonus to roster bonus, etc.)
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(11-08-2017, 08:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not even worried about cap space right now.

Same here.

The cap is going to go up at least $10 million a year for the foreseeable future.  There are players who the team will have to walk away from a year or two from now, but that's how it goes in the NFL.  Worrying about it now is kind of pointless.  They've got someone in the front office who is considered one of the best "capologists" in the league, so I'm not worried at all about what's to come.  Just keep drafting well, and it won't be a concern.  I don't think you're going to see this team being aggressive in free agency unless a glaring need suddenly rears it's head.  The cap will be fine.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(11-09-2017, 11:10 AM)FBT Wrote:
(11-08-2017, 08:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Not even worried about cap space right now.

Same here.

The cap is going to go up at least $10 million a year for the foreseeable future.  There are players who the team will have to walk away from a year or two from now, but that's how it goes in the NFL.  Worrying about it now is kind of pointless.  They've got someone in the front office who is considered one of the best "capologists" in the league, so I'm not worried at all about what's to come.  Just keep drafting well, and it won't be a concern.  I don't think you're going to see this team being aggressive in free agency unless a glaring need suddenly rears it's head.  The cap will be fine.
Agree. There is no need to be aggressive any more because our roster is so much better. Maybe a guard or two. A WR and TE but really that's it.

Unless it's at QB but that's even unclear because Blake could play himself into that 19 million.

Nor should you be.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When the new league year starts, we will have at least 40 million in cap space. This is not a concern.

(11-08-2017, 09:34 PM)JackCity Wrote: Our cap only matters next year if we have to pick up Blake's option. 

Otherwise we have plenty of space to re-sign our own and bring more in.  

Plenty of space to re-sign Arob, Colvin, Lee, Omameh if we HAD to. Don't think all of them will be back though, probably just Arob and Colvin. Poz could come back but only at around 3 million less.

Malik Jackson was one of the best 3 techs in the entire NFL last year and we have guys here wanted to cut him.

You still have to replace Bortles with another starting calibre QB in that scenario. Won't end up saving much money in the end, if any.