Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Poised to Surprise?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...o-surprise

This guy gets it.

4) Which surprise AFC team is going to be dangerous come January?

The Bills have been fun to watch, but how can you bet against Jacksonville? The Jaguars opened this season with an eye-opening thumping of the Texans. They increased their credibility by whipping the Steelers in Pittsburgh in Week 5. They also close the season with six of their last eight games coming against teams that don't have winning records right now. That tells this writer that Jacksonville is going to have some major momentum when the postseason arrives. The Jaguars also are good enough to host a home game, especially since the AFC South title might be decided in their season finale at Tennessee. The scariest thing about the Jaguarsis that they have exactly what an upstart team needs to win in the playoffs. They've built a powerful running game behind rookie Leonard Fournette. Their aggressive defense leads the league in sacks and points allowed. Oh, and the aforementioned win over the Steelers also provided the Jaguars with plenty of confidence that will be useful down the road. So people can make all the jokes about quarterback Blake Bortles that they want. The bottom line is that this team is for real and doesn't need a dynamic signal caller to be a significant threat.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

To cap that, Bortles is starting to get some swag back and is playing smart ball.

(11-09-2017, 09:39 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: To cap that, Bortles is starting to get some swag back and is playing smart ball.

Bortles really does look a lot more confident and comfortable on the field. Seems to be making decisions quicker and everything.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

The team has the #1 defense in the NFL and this nobody NOW says the Jags are poised to surprise?! Way to go out on a limb buddy.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 12:41 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(11-10-2017, 11:42 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: The team has the #1 defense in the NFL and this nobody NOW says the Jags are poised to surprise?! Way to go out on a limb buddy.

Edit. Nevermind

I'll go out on a limb and say they've already surprised many...

Think about it regarding Bortles...the guy has never been around a winning culture in the NFL. Ever. He was deluded by Gus to believe that he just needs to focus on getting better. Doug has taught this team how to win, and it's given Bortles a new mindset. This team is learning how to win on the fly. I never in a million years thought Gus/Tom and (Dave-ish) could turn this thing around in one year, but they have. That's darned exciting right there.

(11-10-2017, 01:04 PM)MinistryMan2007 Wrote: Think about it regarding Bortles...the guy has never been around a winning culture in the NFL. Ever. He was deluded by Gus to believe that he just needs to focus on getting better. Doug has taught this team how to win, and it's given Bortles a new mindset. This team is learning how to win on the fly. I never in a million years thought Gus/Tom and (Dave-ish) could turn this thing around in one year, but they have. That's darned exciting right there.

I assume you meant Doug?

Regarding Bortles.. a lot of us could see previously that he has the abilities to be a decent QB. Not elite, but decent. I'm glad he's starting to show it. I completely agree with it being partly down to not being around a winning culture.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(11-10-2017, 01:04 PM)YYMinistryMan2007 Wrote: Think about it regarding Bortles...the guy has never been around a winning culture in the NFL. Ever. He was deluded by Gus to believe that he just needs to focus on getting better. Doug has taught this team how to win, and it's given Bortles a new mindset. This team is learning how to win on the fly. I never in a million years thought Gus/Tom and (Dave-ish) could turn this thing around in one year, but they have. That's darned exciting right there.

I envisioned a new staff getting this thing to 8/8 this year and playoffs next year.

They are exceeding that expectation. 

However - this isn't a one year turnaround. The first seeds of this were planted in the 2014 draft and it's been a slow and steady influx of talent since. 

The new staff and 2017 acquisitions didn't turn it around. They put it over the top.

(11-10-2017, 11:42 AM)spacecoastjag Wrote: The team has the #1 defense in the NFL and this nobody NOW says the Jags are poised to surprise?! Way to go out on a limb buddy.

Yeah, the horse is out of the barn on that one, isn't it?