Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
USA Today article labels us as "Pretenders"

(11-09-2017, 06:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-09-2017, 06:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: I prefer to be underestimated. Who wants to be the 'darling' of the fake sports media anyway? Good lord, I'd rather be the scrappy little [BLEEP] who had to fight tooth and nail for my achievements and earn true respect than to be fawned over by people whose opinion only matters to the sheeple who hang on their every word. What those folks say means nothing. What the team produces means everything. 

But that's just me.

For now that's okay, we have to earn some street cred. Eventually I want to be the team who other teams know is going to punch them in the mouth, it will only be a matter of how hard and how often.

And we get there not by what the media says, but by what we produce on the field. I want us to be so bad [BLEEP] that the other teams don't need the media to tell them anything, they know from our play of the game. Period. I want us to get in their heads like Ramsey did with Green. I want those teams to need safe spaces in locker rooms because we so thoroughly dominate them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Fake news. Bortles to lead jags to Superbowl.

Well, since the Jaguars finally won two in a row I took a sip of the teal koolaid. If they win this week I will probably have a glass. Consistency has been a problem but we are looking better.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2017, 02:52 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

Everyone in the AFC looks like a pretender right now. The Patriots get a pass because of past accomplishments. So why not us?
No pain, no gain.

(11-10-2017, 02:51 AM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: Everyone in the AFC looks like a pretender right now. The Patriots get a pass because of past accomplishments. So why not us?

Wild stab at this mate

Because of non-past accomplishments?

The new hottie in town is always a pretender until they prove otherwise.

Or, we can just crown their backsides, in midseason. Cheers to the late Dennis Earl Green ; )
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

The only teams I think are superior are the Pats and Chiefs, everyone else is a lesser squad.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

USA today is correct. Jags are pretenders until they take a lead in the south and don't lose to bad teams like the Jets. If we take care of the business the next two weeks vs pretty bad teams they will look more consistent.
Jaguars | Pacers | Purdue | Team USA

(11-10-2017, 09:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: USA today is correct. Jags are pretenders until they take a lead in the south and don't lose to bad teams like the Jets. If we take care of the business the next two weeks vs pretty bad teams they will look more consistent.
I bet you have been saying this the whole season. "They are pretenders until they take care of bad teams like the Colts and Bengals."

Just a heads up, we play a lot of bad teams the rest of the year so if you're looking for a statement win to validate this team, you may not find one.  This team has the 3rd best point differential in the league and we are entering week 10. Not sure how you can be a pretender this late into the season and have that.

(11-10-2017, 09:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: USA today is correct. Jags are pretenders until they take a lead in the south and don't lose to bad teams like the tacks. If we take care of the business the next two weeks vs pretty bad teams they will look more consistent.

ftfy

(11-10-2017, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 09:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: USA today is correct. Jags are pretenders until they take a lead in the south and don't lose to bad teams like the Jets. If we take care of the business the next two weeks vs pretty bad teams they will look more consistent.
I bet you have been saying this the whole season. "They are pretenders until they take care of bad teams like the Colts and Bengals."

Just a heads up, we play a lot of bad teams the rest of the year so if you're looking for a statement win to validate this team, you may not find one.  This team has the 3rd best point differential in the league and we are entering week 10. Not sure how you can be a pretender this late into the season and have that.

Statement win? Seattle maybe?
straight pwning the stinkin tacks in week 17 even though we have the division locked up already would be pretty sweet too.

(11-10-2017, 10:00 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 09:34 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: USA today is correct. Jags are pretenders until they take a lead in the south and don't lose to bad teams like the tacks. If we take care of the business the next two weeks vs pretty bad teams they will look more consistent.

ftfy

(11-10-2017, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I bet you have been saying this the whole season. "They are pretenders until they take care of bad teams like the Colts and Bengals."

straight pwning the stinkin tacks in week 17 even though we have the division locked up already would be pretty sweet too.
I mean Seattle is very mediocre this season. And now that Sherman is out for the season, if we beat them, people will still have excuses.

It doesn't even matter what people say about this team. If the defense continues playing like this and Blake/Fournette carry the offense, we will be "pretending" all the way to the AFC Championship game.

(11-10-2017, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:00 AM)Kane Wrote: ftfy

I mean Seattle is very mediocre this season. And now that Sherman is out for the season, if we beat them, people will still have excuses.

It doesn't even matter what people say about this team. If the defense continues playing like this and Blake/Fournette carry the offense, we will be "pretending" all the way to the AFC Championship game.
I can see the headlines now

"Jags win Superbowl in year where no one wants to win Superbowl"

"Jaguars suck less than everyone else en route to mediocre NFL season championship"

"Jaguars big money free agency buys a ring for Jacksonville"

(11-10-2017, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean Seattle is very mediocre this season. And now that Sherman is out for the season, if we beat them, people will still have excuses.

"Jaguars suck less than everyone else en route to mediocre NFL season championship"

Those headlines seem like accurate representations of what would be written.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-10-2017, 10:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote: I can see the headlines now

I'd be just fine with any of those.

(11-10-2017, 10:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote: I can see the headlines now

Just dependent on whether it's a PFT article, BCC, or NFL lol

(11-10-2017, 10:59 AM)scottyg Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:40 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Those headlines seem like accurate representations of what would be written.

I'd be just fine with any of those.

Indeed... I'd take em and be like "whatever.... a ring is a ring, a win is a win... "

Ya know... Brady, Big Ben, and Manning dominated for a decade and a half... I'm sure they don't feel their rings are tainted due to playing in a weak AFC and/or playing VS weak NFC teams (for awhile the NFC didn't have any good teams and then no dominant team ala Pats or clots)

Fake news media. Another who actually follows newspapers OR so called "Power Rankings" is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

(11-10-2017, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I bet you have been saying this the whole season. "They are pretenders until they take care of bad teams like the Colts and Bengals."

I will phrase it the way I think then. We are pretenders (for the super bowl, not just making the playoffs we'll do that) until we see our QB be able to win us a game after some adversity hits us. So far Blake has done fine when the rest of the team is dominating, but in the games where special teams let us down or the defense gave up a fluke long rushing TD Blake has not been able to overcome it despite nearly a dozen drives to be able do so. I just don't think our defense is going to be able to sweep the entire playoffs for us.

Did mariGOATa write the article?

(11-10-2017, 10:20 AM)Kane Wrote:
(11-10-2017, 10:06 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I mean Seattle is very mediocre this season. And now that Sherman is out for the season, if we beat them, people will still have excuses.

Sadly enough, I can see this happening. What the hell did we do to even make the media hate this city anyway?

USA Today is correct. Maybe, if you can consistently string 5 plus winning games in the weakest division then yes you can go from “pretenders” to contenders. Start with this week by beating the Chargers.

(11-10-2017, 09:58 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote: What the hell did we do to even make the media hate this city anyway?

We hosted a Super Bowl and made them go to the Landing.