Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Marcus Mariota Discussion

(11-17-2017, 01:23 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: Mariota has taken a decided step backwards this year as he tries to do more. He is not a franchise QB. But he is good enough to keep the tacks from looking for a transcendent talent. Which I fully hope he does. 10 year deal for Mariota!

I've long compared him to Alex Smith of seven or eight years ago. I think the comparison holds well. He's more dangerous with his legs than his arm, he doesn't make a ton of boneheaded throws, but he doesn't carry his team, either, and with quality play around him he can be a long term regular season winner.

I know some people think Smith is an elite guy this year, but I'm not sure about that yet myself. Let's see how he does when it's time for the playoffs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Another thread where the trolls haven't found their way back to yet.

14and3, CTE, MaryGOATa, all silent since about 8pm last night

(11-17-2017, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote: Another thread where the trolls haven't found their way back to yet.

You forgot FakeFisher. 

I call them the ICP? 

(inbred clown posse)

I kid, I kid. One of them seems to have his head on fairly straight aside from the whole "elite QB" thing. 

It is interesting that we were finally able to have a discussion once their QB started flinging picks all over the field.  I'm sure they'll get their tails untucked eventually and head back over here to insult us soon.

Poi Boy is the suxors.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 11-18-2017, 06:08 PM by Jeff.Fisher.)

(11-17-2017, 05:07 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 05:00 PM)Kane Wrote: Another thread where the trolls haven't found their way back to yet.

You forgot FakeFisher. 

I call them the ICP? 

(inbred clown posse)

I kid, I kid. One of them seems to have his head on fairly straight aside from the whole "elite QB" thing. 

It is interesting that we were finally able to have a discussion once their QB starting flinging picks all over the field.  I'm sure they'll get their tails untucked eventually and head back over here to insult us soon.

Thank you. I see myself as a stand up kinda guy. And if i didnt have a good team to pull for (TITANS), i may even be a jags fan

I tske it not everyone heard mularkeys presser after the game. Mariota makes precision throws. The first int sailed on him. The others, the recievers need to break up those interceptions. Mularkey speaks truth

^Its never Mariota’s fault...

(11-18-2017, 06:29 PM)JNev Wrote: ^Its never Mariota’s fault...

Correct. Mariota is a stand up guy, like myself.

Mariota just threw another pick!!

https://titansized.com/2017/11/20/what-t...egression/

I thought this was a good read and fairly accurate.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Mariota has his crap together. He's a smart kid and he learns from his mistakes. He will go on to do great things. The Titans are lucky to have him.

(11-21-2017, 08:02 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: Mariota has his crap together. He's a smart kid and he learns from his mistakes. He will go on to do great things. The Titans are lucky to have him.
Yes indeed the whole AFC South Benefits from the Titans luck. I would say the Jags are even luckier that the tacks have him than the tacks are.  Tongue

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(11-21-2017, 08:41 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(11-21-2017, 08:02 PM)Jeff.Fisher Wrote: Mariota has his crap together. He's a smart kid and he learns from his mistakes. He will go on to do great things. The Titans are lucky to have him.
Yes indeed the whole AFC South Benefits from the Titans luck. I would say the Jags are even luckier that the tacks have him than the tacks are.  Tongue

You'll see

(11-21-2017, 07:31 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: https://titansized.com/2017/11/20/what-t...egression/

I thought this was a good read and fairly accurate.

That twitter quote is so true about Murray.  I remembered watching a game this week and feeling like it was running in slow motion.   It was totally the Titans game.  There would be gaping holes and the running backs were so slow it didn't matter.   

As for Mariota, I just can't get over the fact that Mularkey is his head coach.  Yes, they seem to have done fine, but I can't get over that detail.

Why is the deep ball so important? Brady has made a living throwing intermediate passes all career long. Mariota excels at those. Mariota is a precessive passer, Mike Mularkey limits the field too much for him to even be successful. 2 WR sets and he uses one simply for blocking. Boring 1970 scheme that doesnt work anymore. This league has passed over our coaches heads, and until they get fired Mariota will either continue to struggle or will overcome his [BLEEP] coaches.

(11-24-2017, 09:08 PM)MariGOATa Wrote: Why is the deep ball so important? Brady has made a living throwing intermediate passes all career long. Mariota excels at those. Mariota is a precessive passer, Mike Mularkey limits the field too much for him to even be successful. 2 WR sets and he uses one simply for blocking. Boring 1970 scheme that doesnt work anymore. This league has passed over our coaches heads, and until they get fired Mariota will either continue to struggle or will overcome his [BLEEP] coaches.
This year the intermediate is not what Mariota excels at. His best rating is the deep middle that he usually hits Walker on and the two flats behind LOS (essentially run plays). Compared to last year the field has been squeezed down. This tells me that spying Mariota and playing man has limited his production. Play zone, and he is more able to make something work. He is not seeing the field well against better defenses. I do question why you would leave someone in to help block with this O-line ya’ll brag on. 

Pass chart
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Mularkey is saving the explosive plays for the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017, 12:22 PM by MariGOATa.)

(11-25-2017, 10:28 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(11-24-2017, 09:08 PM)MariGOATa Wrote: Why is the deep ball so important? Brady has made a living throwing intermediate passes all career long. Mariota excels at those. Mariota is a precessive passer, Mike Mularkey limits the field too much for him to even be successful. 2 WR sets and he uses one simply for blocking. Boring 1970 scheme that doesnt work anymore. This league has passed over our coaches heads, and until they get fired Mariota will either continue to struggle or will overcome his [BLEEP] coaches.
This year the intermediate is not what Mariota excels at. His best rating is the deep middle that he usually hits Walker on and the two flats behind LOS (essentially run plays). Compared to last year the field has been squeezed down. This tells me that spying Mariota and playing man has limited his production. Play zone, and he is more able to make something work. He is not seeing the field well against better defenses. I do question why you would leave someone in to help block with this O-line ya’ll brag on. 

Pass chart

He had 225 yards w/2 TDs against one of the better defenses this year, so not sure what your talking about. His lack of development has been on the coaches that put out lame formations every game. And he puts an extra blocker because he was simply hired because of his promise to protect Mariota to take less. Whisenhunt was fired because his protection were awful, but whisenhunt didnt have two pro tackles like Mulsucky has, or nearly the same talented roster Mulsucky has

(11-25-2017, 12:21 PM)MariGOATa Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 10:28 AM)B2hibry Wrote: This year the intermediate is not what Mariota excels at. His best rating is the deep middle that he usually hits Walker on and the two flats behind LOS (essentially run plays). Compared to last year the field has been squeezed down. This tells me that spying Mariota and playing man has limited his production. Play zone, and he is more able to make something work. He is not seeing the field well against better defenses. I do question why you would leave someone in to help block with this O-line ya’ll brag on. 

Pass chart

He had 225 yards w/2 TDs against one of the better defenses this year, so not sure what your talking about. His lack of development has been on the coaches that put out lame formations every game. And he puts an extra blocker because he was simply hired of his promise to protect Mariota to take less hits. Whisenhunt was fired because his protection were awful, but whisenhunt didnt have two pro tackles like Mulsucky has, or nearly the same talented roster Mulsucky has

(11-25-2017, 12:21 PM)KMariGOATa Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 10:28 AM)B2hibry Wrote: This year the intermediate is not what Mariota excels at. His best rating is the deep middle that he usually hits Walker on and the two flats behind LOS (essentially run plays). Compared to last year the field has been squeezed down. This tells me that spying Mariota and playing man has limited his production. Play zone, and he is more able to make something work. He is not seeing the field well against better defenses. I do question why you would leave someone in to help block with this O-line ya’ll brag on. 

Pass chart

He had 225 yards w/2 TDs against one of the better defenses this year, so not sure what your talking about. His lack of development has been on the coaches that put out lame formations every game. And he puts an extra blocker because he was simply hired because of his promise to protect Mariota to take less. Whisenhunt was fired because his protection were awful, but whisenhunt didnt have two pro tackles like Mulsucky has, or nearly the same talented roster Mulsucky has
Not sure what I’m talking about? I just explained it to you. That better defense adjusted to squeeze Mariota just like I explained. The succes he had was early. Mariota is not suffering from lack of development because of coaching. He is limited in ability which coaches scheme for. He is no better than Bortles in that regard. Teams know if the run game is limited, they can man up on mediocre receivers, keep Mariota in the pocket and squeeze the field. Mariota’s weaknesses have been known since he came into the league. With no ability to scramble and no run game...no offense.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-25-2017, 12:57 PM by Jagwired.)

I remember when I used to blame coaching and play calling on Gabberts suckness as well. Players, not plays.

Edit, Mularkey definitely not helping. That dude brought the Jags their worst record ever.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(11-25-2017, 12:36 PM)B2hibry Wrote:
(11-25-2017, 12:21 PM)KMariGOATa Wrote: He had 225 yards w/2 TDs against one of the better defenses this year, so not sure what your talking about. His lack of development has been on the coaches that put out lame formations every game. And he puts an extra blocker because he was simply hired because of his promise to protect Mariota to take less. Whisenhunt was fired because his protection were awful, but whisenhunt didnt have two pro tackles like Mulsucky has, or nearly the same talented roster Mulsucky has
Not sure what I’m talking about? I just explained it to you. That better defense adjusted to squeeze Mariota just like I explained. The succes he had was early. Mariota is not suffering from lack of development because of coaching. He is limited in ability which coaches scheme for. He is no better than Bortles in that regard. Teams know if the run game is limited, they can man up on mediocre receivers, keep Mariota in the pocket and squeeze the field. Mariota’s weaknesses have been known since he came into the league. With no ability to scramble and no run game...no offense.
Actually most of Mariota's best work comes from inside the pocket. He's a pocket passer who can scramble more so than the other way around. Very athletic on the move but his game isn't anywhere near dependent on being outside the pocket.  

While he is having a bad year independent of outside factors you can't just ignore the coaching and scheme he's in. Its an offense with talent but bad design all round. They can't scheme his receivers open. The run game is failing this year. Mularkey is showing why he's , well, Mike Mularkey.