Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Free Agency Value

(12-06-2017, 02:50 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:18 PM)Kane Wrote: IDK....
ARod when healthy
Big Ben still has it (at least when he's not playing us)
Brady is still Brady
Wentz and Goff look to be legit
DangeRuss is legit.
Drew Brees
Kirk Cousins is no schlub...

I don't remember a time when the NFL had more than 10 Really good or better QBs certainly not more than 4 or 5 Elite QBs at a time.
What has happened is the league is so pass happy now that we expect bigger things from our QBs while simultaneously the college game has become more and more spread and these guys are less and less prepared coming in.
Also... guys used to sit.. no one sits anymore. So now we expect young QBs from non traditional offenses to come in and be Rodgers or Brady...

I think fans expectations of QBs have become so high that anything less than elite is now deemed mediocre.

Pretty much this. To add a little caveat, we've been spoiled by the current group of generational talent level QBs about to be done. It reinforces your last sentence. There's no reason we should have had Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers, Eli all playing in their prime at the same time.

That 04 draft really inflated things.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-06-2017, 02:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Everyone wants an Aaron Rodgers. There's only one.

I can't remember a time when from top to bottom the crop of QBs were so bad.

Bortles is a decent QB in today's NFL. That just sucks to me.
Really? 

I mean Brady, Rodgers, Brees are 3 of the all time great QBs. Ryan, Wilson, Ben, Rivers, Newton are MVP winners. Then you got an exciting new crop of QBs in Goff, Wentz, Prescott. Throw in some Stafford, Cousins, Carr and Luck.

I'd say that's pretty good.
Don't forget Taylor. They are utterly confused in buffalo right now.  He did extremely well with hardly anything to work with.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

(12-06-2017, 03:17 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 02:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Really? 

I mean Brady, Rodgers, Brees are 3 of the all time great QBs. Ryan, Wilson, Ben, Rivers, Newton are MVP winners. Then you got an exciting new crop of QBs in Goff, Wentz, Prescott. Throw in some Stafford, Cousins, Carr and Luck.

Don't forget Taylor. They are utterly confused in buffalo right now.  He did extremely well with hardly anything to work with.

Stop. Taylor is not a top tier QB
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(12-06-2017, 02:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Everyone wants an Aaron Rodgers. There's only one.

I can't remember a time when from top to bottom the crop of QBs were so bad.

Bortles is a decent QB in today's NFL. That just sucks to me.
Really? 

Ryan sucks, Wilson is blah, I can't explain that guy.. I guess the word is boring. He's just boring to me so he's an afterthought, but I guess he's good. Big Ben is done, Rivers is a regular season QB, Newton sucks. Stafford sucks, Cousins needs everything to be perfect, Carr who knows after his injury and Luck is also done.

I'm not saying Bortles is better than any of these guys don't get me wrong.. but none of them are franchise QBs to me besides Carr.

I guess I have too high standards. haha

(Rivers playoff games in case people don't believe me:

Game 1 (Loss, 24-21 vs. New England): 14-32, 230 YD, 0 TD, 1 INT.
Game 2 (Win, 17-6 vs. Tennessee): 19-30, 292 YD, 1TD, 1 INT.
Game 3 (Win, 28-24 vs. Indianapolis): 14-19, 264 YD, 3 TD, 1 INT.
Game 4 (Loss, 21-12 vs. New England): 19-37, 211 YD, 0 TD, 2 INT.
Game 5 (Win, 23-17 vs. Indianapolis): 20-36, 217 YD, 0 TD, 1 INT.
Game 6 (Loss, 35-24 vs. Pittsburgh): 21-35, 308 YD, 3 TD, 1 INT.
Game 7 (Loss, 17-14 vs. NYJ): 27-40, 298 YD, 1 TD, 2 INT.)

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 09:15 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

(12-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 03:17 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: Don't forget Taylor. They are utterly confused in buffalo right now.  He did extremely well with hardly anything to work with.

https://youtu.be/74k6tZQYGiE
Yup absolutely terrible. 
Except is an upgrade.

#Gojags

(12-06-2017, 08:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Ryan sucks, Wilson is blah, I can't explain that guy.. I guess the word is boring. He's just boring to me so he's an afterthought, but I guess he's good. Big Ben is done, Rivers is a regular season QB, Newton sucks. Stafford sucks, Cousins needs everything to be perfect, Carr who knows after his injury and Luck is also done.

I'm not saying Bortles is better than any of these guys don't get me wrong.. but none of them are franchise QBs to me besides Carr.

Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Stafford not franchise QBs? You have no idea what you're talking about

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(12-06-2017, 12:44 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Bortles gets a contract slightly better than Tannehills, IMO.

Tannehill is better than Bortles, just look at his completion percentage and YPA. I don't think Bortles gets a deal like that. I think 17.5 is right on the money. Bortles is a low end starter in this league. He is better than Fitzpatrick, and Fitzpatrick got 12 million just last year. Hes also better than Glennon who got 19 (although that was too high). He is also better than Osweiler who got 18 million. 

None of these QBs where good when they got those contracts, but they give you an idea what Bortles will get due to Age and current low end starter type performance. If we let him hit FA, someone will pay him close to 19 mil. The Browns would love too. Jets as well. He is a 25 year old guy who has an almost 2:1 TD to INT ratio over a long period of time. People are gonna say 'we can win with that.'

That said, this offseason is unique in that there might be much better options available. But if Bortles was a FA the last two years, he would have been the best of the crop by quite a bit.

(12-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 03:17 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: Don't forget Taylor. They are utterly confused in buffalo right now.  He did extremely well with hardly anything to work with.

He is a similar tier to Bortles tho. And a decent bogey.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 09:40 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Back on topic. Unless Blake improves not worth 17 mill a year. Give us some games where Blake wins in the clutch. And I will be okay will him starting next year.

I want him to succeed I really do. But has to be more accurate and find ways to win on own.

Example if he comes out and beats Wilson despite the d. I will question a QB change. If he plays lights out all month. I am more on board. And I truly feel this is what we all want to see. Major improvement. Even if has some issues at least win in the clutch.

#Gojags

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 01:12 AM by TJBender.)

(12-06-2017, 01:30 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: $17 million seems about right to me.

One thing I could easily see is a Blake Bortles trade in the offseason.  It almost seems likely.  There is no dead money and you could save money while gaining ammunition to take a quarterback in the draft.  I know Bruce Arians really likes Blake Bortles, I could see something like a Blake Bortles for Carson Palmer swap and some additional compensation coming our way.  We would save $5 million per year and have a good veteran placeholder on a 1 year contract at an exceptionally reasonable rate.  It just makes too much sense for it not to happen.

Except that it makes absolutely no sense for Arians to trade a high-level starter (if Palmer doesn't retire) and additional compensation for a one-year rental on a QB whose resume to date is less than impressive. My hunch is that Eli is coming to town on a short-term deal, a QB is drafted somewhere between rounds 1-3, and Bortles will find a new home.

Although it would be hilarious if Gabbert was replaced by Bortles again.

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2017, 10:32 PM by imtheblkranger.)

(12-06-2017, 09:08 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Stop. Taylor is not a top tier QB

Yup absolutely terrible. 
Except is an upgrade.

Didn't say he was terrible.
Upgrade is debatable.

(12-06-2017, 08:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:

Russell Wilson is boring?!? What the hell are you watching?

You might be able to say he's not in the "elite" category, but he's anything but boring to watch
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Osweiler and Glennon were paid in part because of hope and potential. 

Bortles will have started 4 years worth of games by seasons end. It’s a very different situation and highly ironic that some are using two of the worst QB contracts of the last 3 years to argue for signing Bortles to something similar.

(12-06-2017, 09:22 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 12:44 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: Bortles gets a contract slightly better than Tannehills, IMO.

Tannehill is better than Bortles, just look at his completion percentage and YPA. I don't think Bortles gets a deal like that. I think 17.5 is right on the money. Bortles is a low end starter in this league. He is better than Fitzpatrick, and Fitzpatrick got 12 million just last year. Hes also better than Glennon who got 19 (although that was too high). He is also better than Osweiler who got 18 million. 

None of these QBs where good when they got those contracts, but they give you an idea what Bortles will get due to Age and current low end starter type performance. If we let him hit FA, someone will pay him close to 19 mil. The Browns would love too. Jets as well. He is a 25 year old guy who has an almost 2:1 TD to INT ratio over a long period of time. People are gonna say 'we can win with that.'

That said, this offseason is unique in that there might be much better options available. But if Bortles was a FA the last two years, he would have been the best of the crop by quite a bit.

(12-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Stop. Taylor is not a top tier QB

He is a similar tier to Bortles tho. And a decent bogey.

I never said Bortles was better than Tannehill or vice versa, just that his deal should be slightly north of Tannehills signed a few years ago.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I can't wait to see the fireworks from people's heads exploding when Bortles gets a good contract (possibly) before the end of the season.  Is he going to get Aron Rogers type of money/contract?  No.  But he's pretty much going to be here next season like it or not barring a major meltdown in the next 4(+) games.

Good God!  The team is on the cusp of a winning season and poised to make a playoff appearance and so many "fans" want to run players off.  While the QB isn't the greatest, the TEAM still has an 8-4 record and knocking on the door for a Divisional Championship.  Let that sink in for a bit.

My guess is the team signs him to a contract that keeps him here for another 3 years or so and possibly drafts his "heir apparent" either in this coming off-season or the next.

I personally would be shocked if the team lets him walk in free agency.  That would be the dumbest move ever and I just don't see it happening.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Wilson has been a top 5 QB ever since he won the starting job in Seattle. He is underrated because people think of Seattle as a defense first team, but theres no question in my mind thet dont have the same success without Wilson. Rivers is a great QB but Wilson is hands down the best QB that the Jaguars are going to face all reg season.

(12-06-2017, 11:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I can't wait to see the fireworks from people's heads exploding when Bortles gets a good contract (possibly) before the end of the season.  Is he going to get Aron Rogers type of money/contract?  No.  But he's pretty much going to be here next season like it or not barring a major meltdown in the next 4(+) games.

Good God!  The team is on the cusp of a winning season and poised to make a playoff appearance and so many "fans" want to run players off.  While the QB isn't the greatest, the TEAM still has an 8-4 record and knocking on the door for a Divisional Championship.  Let that sink in for a bit.

My guess is the team signs him to a contract that keeps him here for another 3 years or so and possibly drafts his "heir apparent" either in this coming off-season or the next.

I personally would be shocked if the team lets him walk in free agency.  That would be the dumbest move ever and I just don't see it happening.

lol, you going to cry when we sign Cousins and upgrade the QB position?

(12-06-2017, 11:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:03 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I can't wait to see the fireworks from people's heads exploding when Bortles gets a good contract (possibly) before the end of the season.  Is he going to get Aron Rogers type of money/contract?  No.  But he's pretty much going to be here next season like it or not barring a major meltdown in the next 4(+) games.

lol, you going to cry when we sign Cousins and upgrade the QB position?

Not really.  I don't see it happening realistically.  Are you going to cry when Bortles gets a new contract?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why would it be the dumbest move? You can always upgrade at a QB position, especially with the way the team is build. A veteran QB would be an upgrade over Bortles. If I see Bortles with that top money next year than I am going to lose faith next year.

(This post was last modified: 12-07-2017, 12:02 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(12-06-2017, 11:25 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 11:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: lol, you going to cry when we sign Cousins and upgrade the QB position?

Not really.  I don't see it happening realistically.  Are you going to cry when Bortles gets a new contract?

Depends on how big the contract is lol

I think either Eli or Cousins one will be here next year imo

Bortles could be here next here next year but he needs to be consistent. Something he still hasn't been able to do. The clock is ticking

(12-06-2017, 09:35 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 09:32 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: And this is why you keep drafting qbs until you have "the guy". I have a hard time justifying 17.5 mil for a 20 td/10 int a year qb who stinks in close games. I would imagine blake would be a backup on a lot of teams, i cant fathom 17.5 million a year for a borderline backup. He would start for the broncos and browns. He should have been a backup here but we were in a pickle at qb. I hope we restructure him for much less than 17.5 a year and draft his replacement.

Ummm.. the market is the market. Terrible QBs get paid a ton because that's what the market says they are worth.

Ummmmmm... This is exactly my point. You don't pay mediocre 17 million +, tell me how those deals have worked out for those teams like Houston, Cleveland with the SAME QB, and Chicago. You don't pay that to average/trash QBs, you go back to the draft and save your cap for better players until you draft the right QB and then you lock him up. It doesn't have to be the next coming of Peyton Manning, but you certainly don't settle on Blake freaking Bortles. Teams willing to pay a guy like Bortles 17.5 million+ a year are usually terrible teams signing these Qbs out of desperation.

(12-06-2017, 09:48 PM)TJBender Wrote:
(12-06-2017, 01:30 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: $17 million seems about right to me.

One thing I could easily see is a Blake Bortles trade in the offseason.  It almost seems likely.  There is no dead money and you could save money while gaining ammunition to take a quarterback in the draft.  I know Bruce Arians really likes Blake Bortles, I could see something like a Blake Bortles for Carson Palmer swap and some additional compensation coming our way.  We would save $5 million per year and have a good veteran placeholder on a 1 year contract at an exceptionally reasonable rate.  It just makes too much sense for it not to happen.

Except that it makes absolutely sense for Arians to trade a high-level starter (if Palmer doesn't retire) and additional compensation for a one-year rental on a QB whose resume to date is less than impressive. My hunch is that Eli is coming to town on a short-term deal, a QB is drafted somewhere between rounds 1-3, and Bortles will find a new home.

Although it would be hilarious if Gabbert was replaced by Bortles again.

You know very well that if a team traded for Bortles that there would be an extension shortly thereafter. Arians is on record as liking Bortles. They have been in the market for a long term quarterback. They would get a long term QB that they potentially like on a decent deal and we would get a 1 year rental on a 38 year old quarterback to hold the fort down 1 season, make a championship run, and then ride off into the sunset.

Manning would be way more expensive and would handicap us into multiple years.