Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Free Agency Value

At this rate, barring a SB MVP run where I'd lock him up for sure, the option seems to be the best for both parties now. He definitely wouldn't take a lesser deal at that point and no sense in paying more than we'd have to
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

as great as he has played and as happy as I am to see it.. there is absolutely no way in hell im paying him 19 mill a year... that will 100% cap strap us... the reason we have an advantage on other teams to sign all these other good players and lock up our guys is because we arent putting 19 or more mill at the QB position

I'd happily pay him 10 to 12 if he finishes the year strong.. but there's no way in hell I am paying him 19 mill per LMAO

I would absolutely rather draft a rookie QB or sign a stop gap for a fraction of that cost. This team's defense and running game is good enough to compete, Bortles has been playing awesome but he is not the main reason this team is winning

(12-19-2017, 05:05 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: as great as he has played and as happy as I am to see it.. there is absolutely no way in hell im paying him 19 mill a year... that will 100% cap strap us... the reason we have an advantage on other teams to sign all these other good players and lock up our guys is because we arent putting 19 or more mill at the QB position

I'd happily pay him 10 to 12 if he finishes the year strong.. but there's no way in hell I am paying him 19 mill per LMAO

I would absolutely rather draft a rookie QB or sign a stop gap for a fraction of that cost.  This team's defense and running game is good enough to compete, Bortles has been playing awesome but he is not the main reason this team is winning

Well, it's probably a good thing it's not your money then.  Unless he falls flat on his face over the next few weeks, Blake is getting that $19 million.  And considering what starting QBs are getting for second contracts these days, it will be a relative bargain.

Personally, I would still like to draft some insurance and make him play out at least a part of the 5th year option regardless of how far he takes us this year.

(12-19-2017, 05:05 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: as great as he has played and as happy as I am to see it.. there is absolutely no way in hell im paying him 19 mill a year... that will 100% cap strap us... the reason we have an advantage on other teams to sign all these other good players and lock up our guys is because we arent putting 19 or more mill at the QB position

I would absolutely rather draft a rookie QB or sign a stop gap for a fraction of that cost. This team's defense and running game is good enough to compete, Bortles has been playing awesome but he is not the main reason this team is winning

Stop gap will cost just as much, and starting a rookie would not go well with a locker room wandering why we didn't just pay Bortles

Pay That Man His Muney

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 05:33 PM by FreeAgent01.)

LMAO. OOookay.

He's going to accept a contract paying him 33% and $5 million dollars per year less than the least paid veteran starting quarterback in the league? I'm sure he'd love to be paid like the 25th or 26th highest paid QB in the league after this season.

I would absolutely rather draft a rookie QB or sign a stop gap for a fraction of that cost.  This team's defense and running game is good enough to compete, Bortles has been playing awesome but he is not the main reason this team is winning

You don't know much aboit NFL contracts, do you?

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 05:58 PM by Kane.)

Firstly, no his 19 mil won't cap strap us.
Ivory is as good as gone.
Lewis likely is gone.
Cap is going up
We still have roll over... just stop with the sky is falling antics about the cap.

He has no incentive to take a discount, and if he's playing this well why would he?

A rookie QB will have his own headaches and growing pains. And from where we'll be drafting we won't be in position to get one that is head and shoulders better than Bortles.
Stop gap? Who? Matt frickin Moore?

Also: YOU aren't paying him... so settle down.

His cap figure for 2018 places him around 16th. (about 11% of our cap) His cash earnings would put him top 5 and that is a lot of money to pay based on essentially 4 or 5 games (plus playoffs TBD) but as I've said before... it's a QB league, you either have one or you don't. If you got one, you pay him. If you don't got one, you pay someone else.

I can not imagine us starting over at QB with the roster as good as it is right now.

(12-19-2017, 04:42 PM)Kane Wrote: I'd say his value currently is right at or about 19 mil.
No reason for him to take a "deal" to play at less. (If we were to cut him some team somewhere will pay him)
No real reason for us to offer a blockbuster extension.

Play that option (which will be top 5 pay for QB next year) and play well to earn, what will probably amount to the biggest QB deal yet.
Play poorly in 2018 and be shown the door after the season.

Based what has transpired with Blake Bortles,  the Jaguars, and the demand for starting QBs being higher than the supply,  what you mentioned is how I would proceed as well if in the Jaguars organization position.  With the plan of drafting a QB from the 2nd Round on.  

The bottom line is today,  the Jaguars QB situation looks much better than it did even a few weeks ago because of the major improvement by Bortles.

(12-19-2017, 05:59 PM)D6 Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 04:42 PM)Kane Wrote: I'd say his value currently is right at or about 19 mil.
No reason for him to take a "deal" to play at less. (If we were to cut him some team somewhere will pay him)
No real reason for us to offer a blockbuster extension.

Play that option (which will be top 5 pay for QB next year) and play well to earn, what will probably amount to the biggest QB deal yet.
Play poorly in 2018 and be shown the door after the season.

Based what has transpired with Blake Bortles,  the Jaguars, and the demand for starting QBs being higher than the supply,  what you mentioned is how I would proceed as well if in the Jaguars organization position.  With the plan of drafting a QB from the 2nd Round on.  

The bottom line is today,  the Jaguars QB situation looks much better than it did even a few weeks ago because of the major improvement by Bortles.

Indeed. I think they should draft a 2nd-4th round QB. 
Also would like to add Glennon got 15 mil on the market.... we should have no issues with Bortles getting 19.

(12-19-2017, 06:00 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 05:59 PM)D6 Wrote: Based what has transpired with Blake Bortles,  the Jaguars, and the demand for starting QBs being higher than the supply,  what you mentioned is how I would proceed as well if in the Jaguars organization position.  With the plan of drafting a QB from the 2nd Round on.  

Indeed. I think they should draft a 2nd-4th round QB. 
Also would like to add Glennon got 15 mil on the market.... we should have no issues with Bortles getting 19.

Even if it turns out that Blake Bortles is the long term answer for the Jaguars and he stays relatively healthy the next 4 years,  an investment in a QB in the 2nd to 4th Round should help further push Bortles, provide some insurance,  and possibly trade compensation in a few years much like New England has been able to convert.

With the salary cap likely going up,  the Jaguars have that much more flexibility to have Bortles on the books at $ 19 million for 2018.

man, yall have done a way to quick of a 180 for me tbh... yes hes playing really good lately, but it was just a few weeks ago that in the arizona game and san diego game he was clearly holding us back

I am just not willing to shell out that kind of money yet.. maybe we franchise him? Is that option even available?

(12-19-2017, 06:21 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: man, yall have done a way to quick of a 180 for me tbh... yes hes playing really good lately, but it was just a few weeks ago that in the arizona game and san diego game he was clearly holding us back

I am just not willing to shell out that kind of money yet.. maybe we franchise him?  Is that option even available?

For the 2018 season,  the 5th year option for Blake Bortles is a noticeably cheaper option than the Franchise Tag.  

The Jaguars would have the option of using the Franchise Tag on Bortles in 2019.

Blake is getting hot at the right time of the year. If he pulls a Flacco and gets us deep into the playoffs he'll be a god here

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 06:45 PM by FreeAgent01.)

Franchise tag for a quarterback would be about $24 million anyways. If you aren't willing to pay Blake $19 million for the option or at least $17 million for a long term contract, then you are cutting him.

(12-19-2017, 06:21 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: man, yall have done a way to quick of a 180 for me tbh... yes hes playing really good lately, but it was just a few weeks ago that in the arizona game and san diego game he was clearly holding us back

I am just not willing to shell out that kind of money yet.. maybe we franchise him?  Is that option even available?

So you're saying you have no idea what you're talking about
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I have been an advocate for drafting a QB high all along. That hasn't changed. Yes, Bortles is playing much better, but I still don't trust him. I say let him play next season on the 1 year $19 million we have him on currently and draft one of the young QB's we like as well. If Bortles plays this well next season, we can either sign him long term, franchise him or trade him depending on how the rookie looks. I see no need to sign Bortles long term, until he proves he can do this for more than a single season at a time. If we did, that would be extremely presumptive and flat out stupid on our part. Look how long Washington has taken a "wait and see" approach on Cousins. I'm not saying we have to wait that long, but we should give it more time before we jump the gun and commit to a guy long term, when we don't even know if he can keep up this pace. Remember, at one time, RG3 looked like he was going to be a good long term QB as well. Let's not be hasty, when we don't have to. We hold all the cards right now. Let's see how this thing plays out through next season, at least.

I'll make my final decision on Bortles at season end. I have to see how he finishes the season

(12-19-2017, 08:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'll make my final decision on Bortles at season end.  I have to see how he finishes the season

Agreed.  This rush to crown him by a few here is a little premature.  He could have a stinker on Sunday and he'd be right back in the dog house with the majority of folks on here.  He's had 3 really good if not great games in a row.  Prior to that he had 3 mediocre if not out right bad games in a row.  He's not playing for a contract no matter how well he finishes.  He's playing to remain on this team under the 5th year option and to be further evaluated next year (with the tag to be used the following year if further evaluation is needed or contract talks stall) and right now he looks to be trending in the direction of being retained and if he finishes strong I'd be fine with it and I was a very early and vocal critic of his.

I will say, however, that over the last 3 games he's looked a lot like Big Ben to me which is the most common comparison that was made about him when he came into the league.  It's not only that he's obviously playing well like Roethlisberger has done consistently over his career, but he just has a similar body type, footwork and throwing motion and from a distance it just looks like Roethlisberger has been in a Jags uni over the past few games.  Hopefully 3 weeks ago will be remembered as the corner we were waiting on him to turn.

I still think that he gets a new contract before the beginning of the new league year (2018) and quite possibly might get it before this season is up.  I can see a moderate contract that includes up-front money and incentives.  There is NO WAY that he becomes a free agent and I don't see the team paying him his current 5th year salary prior to some kind of new contract being negotiated.  I'm guessing an Alex Smith type of contract, though the numbers might be slightly higher due to the projected cap increase.

I can also see the team drafting a QB, but not trading up or getting one of the "splash" QB's in the draft.  Keep in mind, the Jaguars are going to be drafting way late in the first round for a change.

I also think that Chad Henne retires, though it's really not out of the question for him to be signed to another 1 year contract.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blake getting some love from ESPN today

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21809...le-jaguars