Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Music

(02-08-2018, 08:19 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I agree digital has the potential to sound as good as vinyl.   It just needs a sampling rate that is more than what your ears can detect.   Sort of like super high definition TV, which is getting so good that it's starting to resemble actual reality.  It's just using more data, and you have to stand closer and closer to detect the pixels.

Yep and I'm no a purist. I love the format but I also have a SACD player and have a few SACDs which sound pretty darn good. The sound stage with vinyl can still be superior (assuming you're playing a mint condition, 180 gram LP on an audiophile level table) but under less optimal conditions SACD is comparable. And some of the multi-channel audio formats (like Dolby TrueHD) when played with dedicated audio are just unbelievable.

So, my friend has all my old vinyl records, and all my brother's old vinyl records, and all my father's old vinyl records, and all his own old vinyl records, hundreds of vinyl records, and he's too cheap to get his old turntable repaired, or buy a new one, so...  should I invest in a new turntable and get all my old vinyl back?  (...and his and my brother's and my father's.)

It's mainly late 60s and early 70s rock and roll, and lots of classical, most of it in mint condition.  We used to take really good care of our vinyl records.  Not a scratch on most of them.  

I think the answer is yes.   I need to make a trip to Best Buy and say goodbye to a few hundred bucks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-09-2018, 11:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 08:19 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Yep and I'm no a purist. I love the format but I also have a SACD player and have a few SACDs which sound pretty darn good. The sound stage with vinyl can still be superior (assuming you're playing a mint condition, 180 gram LP on an audiophile level table) but under less optimal conditions SACD is comparable. And some of the multi-channel audio formats (like Dolby TrueHD) when played with dedicated audio are just unbelievable.

So, my friend has all my old vinyl records, and all my brother's old vinyl records, and all my father's old vinyl records, and all his own old vinyl records, hundreds of vinyl records, and he's too cheap to get his old turntable repaired, or buy a new one, so...  should I invest in a new turntable and get all my old vinyl back?  (...and his and my brother's and my father's.)

It's mainly late 60s and early 70s rock and roll, and lots of classical, most of it in mint condition.  We used to take really good care of our vinyl records.  Not a scratch on most of them.  

I think the answer is yes.   I need to make a trip to Best Buy and say goodbye to a few hundred bucks.

I'd agree the answer is yes. How much you want to invest in a new turntable will really dictate what kind of sound you get out of them (and also the rest of the components in your system) but they will still sound great if you enjoy the music. Smile
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(02-09-2018, 02:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 11:52 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, my friend has all my old vinyl records, and all my brother's old vinyl records, and all my father's old vinyl records, and all his own old vinyl records, hundreds of vinyl records, and he's too cheap to get his old turntable repaired, or buy a new one, so...  should I invest in a new turntable and get all my old vinyl back?  (...and his and my brother's and my father's.)

I'd agree the answer is yes. How much you want to invest in a new turntable will really dictate what kind of sound you get out of them (and also the rest of the components in your system) but they will still sound great if you enjoy the music. Smile

So yesterday, I went down to Best Buy and bought an Audio-Technica turntable for $300.   Some assembly required, but the instructions were very easy to follow.  So I hooked everything up, and WOW.   I had forgotten how good vinyl records sound.  It's incredible.   I don't even care about the occasional pop and crackle from the scratches on the records, the sound is amazing. 

I think when CDs came out, and I figured vinyl was a thing of the past, we all started buying CDs, then I imported CDs to MP3 files, and then I started streaming from Pandora, and so forth, there was a slow degradation in sound quality every step of the way, but it took place over a period of many years, so I hardly noticed. 

All these hundreds of vinyl records, which USED to be in mint condition, were just sitting on a shelf or in a closet for a couple of decades, so they are surprisingly dirty.   I've ordered some vinyl record cleaning stuff.   We'll see how they clean up.  But even in their current condition, they are so far superior to a digital source, it's amazing.

(02-11-2018, 06:37 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 02:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote: I'd agree the answer is yes. How much you want to invest in a new turntable will really dictate what kind of sound you get out of them (and also the rest of the components in your system) but they will still sound great if you enjoy the music. Smile

So yesterday, I went down to Best Buy and bought an Audio-Technica turntable for $300.   Some assembly required, but the instructions were very easy to follow.  So I hooked everything up, and WOW.   I had forgotten how good vinyl records sound.  It's incredible.   I don't even care about the occasional pop and crackle from the scratches on the records, the sound is amazing. 

I think when CDs came out, and I figured vinyl was a thing of the past, we all started buying CDs, then I imported CDs to MP3 files, and then I started streaming from Pandora, and so forth, there was a slow degradation in sound quality every step of the way, but it took place over a period of many years, so I hardly noticed. 

All these hundreds of vinyl records, which USED to be in mint condition, were just sitting on a shelf or in a closet for a couple of decades, so they are surprisingly dirty.   I've ordered some vinyl record cleaning stuff.   We'll see how they clean up.  But even in their current condition, they are so far superior to a digital source, it's amazing.

I got into vinyl about a year ago and am totally addicated.  The sound is outstanding.  I already have almost 100 albums, because I can't stop buying them.  The best part is listening to a album as a whole and not skipping around songs.  Makes you appreciate the concept behind the music.  Glad to hear others are getting on the bandwagon.  It is definitely  better on vinyl.  It being everything!
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

The new Slaves album dropped today. Jonny Craig is a bad person, but he's a god on the mic.

The whole album is great
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(02-11-2018, 10:42 AM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: I got into vinyl about a year ago and am totally addicated.  The sound is outstanding.  I already have almost 100 albums, because I can't stop buying them.  The best part is listening to a album as a whole and not skipping around songs.  Makes you appreciate the concept behind the music.  Glad to hear others are getting on the bandwagon.  It is definitely  better on vinyl.  It being everything!

Some of us never left. I've had a turn table since I bought my first cheap Technics in the late 70s. Smile
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Has anyone seen the video doing the rounds on Facebook of Adam Dukiewicz from Killswitch Engage going to the bar, mid song, having a shot of whiskey... playing his solo, then heading back to the stage?

Really cool.. I love KSE, excellent live.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

I got tickets to see Babymetal in June. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Neil Young is rolling out everything he has recorded for free high quality digital streaming on his archival web site. For fans of Neil Young with a good computer and internet connection, it's amazing. It even has lower settings that still far outperform most streaming services.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(03-15-2018, 07:10 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I got tickets to see Babymetal in June. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I have to ask, is it the "Baby" you are into or the "Metal"?
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-15-2018, 09:24 PM)copycat Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 07:10 PM)DragonFury Wrote: I got tickets to see Babymetal in June. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I have to ask, is it the "Baby" you are into or the "Metal"?

If I didn't like the metal part I literally would not give a crap.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 04:39 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-15-2018, 08:53 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Neil Young is rolling out everything he has recorded for free high quality digital streaming on his archival web site. For fans of Neil Young with a good computer and internet connection, it's amazing. It even has lower settings that still far outperform most streaming services.

Neil Young ranks somewhere in my Top 2 to 5 pending on my daily preferences.

Sidenote: Widespread Panic opened their 5 hour New Years Eve show on 12/31/2013 in Atlanta with the following Neil Young songs ... i almost started booing when they started playing their own stuff -- ha !! j/k
01. Journey Through The Past
02. Don’t Be Denied
03. Time Fades Away

Thanks for the info !!!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2018, 07:36 PM by Vicbow Rules.)

I saw them open for the Chili Peppers last year. I can see why you like them!  Big Grin

(03-15-2018, 08:53 PM)rollerjag Wrote: Neil Young is rolling out everything he has recorded for free high quality digital streaming on his archival web site. For fans of Neil Young with a good computer and internet connection, it's amazing. It even has lower settings that still far outperform most streaming services.

Neil can rock with the best of them. One of the best.
― Albert Camus

(03-16-2018, 04:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Neil Young ranks somewhere in my Top 2 to 5 pending on my daily preferences.

Sidenote: Widespread Panic opened their 5 hour New Years Eve show on 12/31/2013 in Atlanta with the following Neil Young songs ... i almost started booing when they started playing their own stuff -- ha !! j/k
01. Journey Through The Past
02. Don’t Be Denied
03. Time Fades Away

Thanks for the info !!!

(03-16-2018, 07:33 PM)Vicbow Rules Wrote:

I saw them open for the Chili Peppers last year. I can see why you like them!  Big Grin

Neil can rock with the best of them. One of the best.

You should check Neil's archive site out while it's still free. There are vintage live performances going back to his pre-Buffalo Springfield that sound incredible even through my cheap computer audio setup.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Thought I'd resurrect this, went to see Taking Back Sunday and Coheed & Cambria in Cleveland this past weekend. Was an awesome show

[Image: 20180729_225238.jpg]
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Looks like good seats!

I recently saw Frampton and Steve Miller in St. Augustine. Both were great (and I did not go in as a Framptn fan.)

Also going to see Counting Crows and Live at Daily's Place this Saturday. Have yet to see a show there, so I am stoked.

Other concerts lined up - Taking my wife to see LeAnn Womack for her birthday in Sept
Elton John farewell tour March
Pink - March (taking my daughter to her first concert)

Trying to justify going to see Sting and Shaggy (yes,you read that correctly and they are touring together.)
― Albert Camus

I had tickets for Lauryn Hill at Dailys tomorrow but she cancelled 4 tour dates including this one.

Seeing Metallica again in October and that same week I come back home for a day or two and then head out to Hulaween in Suwanee, FL. Can't wait. Been on a Faith No More, Mac DeMarco & Tame Impala kick lately too. Good [BLEEP].
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I'm at Dailys Place right now. This is an outstanding venue. Highly recommended it. Plenty of vendors / restrooms. Very intimate despite seeing 5500. Great sounding sound system.
― Albert Camus

I'm stuck in the 80s. Journey, Forienger, Star Ship, etc.