Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mickens and Pinkard Story

Y’all https://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jagu...owing-grit

Crazy story! Talk about a drive to reach your dreams!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nice story, have total respect for players like this. That should be the grind for every player.. others just want paychecks and luxury.

Practice Squad players earn $7200 per week. That's only for the 16 games during the season, but still over $115,000 per year if a player is on the practice squad all season. Even with only eight games a Practice Squad player makes more than the US average annual salary, and few people with bad jobs are forced to live in a car. Are expenses for NFL players way higher than they are for Joe Sixpack?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(12-16-2017, 12:39 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: Practice Squad players earn $7200 per week. That's only for the 16 games during the season, but still over $115,000 per year if a player is on the practice squad all season. Even with only eight games a Practice Squad player makes more than the US average annual salary, and few people with bad jobs are forced to live in a car. Are expenses for NFL players way higher than they are for Joe Sixpack?

It's like he said, he knows the PS is very temporary. He could be booted off at any time. Maybe he was paying off his student loans with his money or sending money home to his family. Or putting it away for when he really didn't have a job. If the NFL does provide accomodations for PS guys but they have to pay for it, he may have decided to forego that and put his money away for when he's not employed. 

If you've never had to live without basic necessities, and I mean really without, then it would be hard to grasp his mindset. I've lived without and it's hard and you have to make sacrifices. When you finally do have what you need you are still thinking about how that could all go away in a flash. I have been in a stable marriage and home life now for 6 years but I still have that feeling sometimes that it could all be taken away in the blink of an eye. A fire could burn our house down. We could come home one day and everything has been stolen. We just lost a car thanks to a young lady who make a poor choice and my husband's car (that was paid for) was totaled because of it. Now we face trying to buy a vehicle while still paying off my shoulder surgery from last year and various other medical stuff that has come up. 

I appreciate that Mickens isn't like the typical NFL player who blows his money on stuff he doesn't need just because he's making good money. It may be extreme that he was living in his car, but we don't know the circumstances.