Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If you were Marone would you play A-Rob and Hurns instead of the rookies?

(12-19-2017, 11:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Play them all.

Hackett has a good grasp on how to use his guys.

Use a rotation

I agree with this.
However if I were Hackett I would tread very lightly rn when considering a change regardless of WHO is now available because we I believe are seeing the beginning stages of an amazing qb and 3 wr set that has shown amazing promise and production.
Imagine. ...with a few more weeks to click...how hot our passing game could be?
And just in time for the playoffs. ..
Imagine that

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As far as Arob coming back, he's not eligible and there would be a 0% chance he'd be ready coming off an ACL even by the Super Bowl. Five to six months for an ACL is like one in a million. He'll likely be limited and eased in at the start of training camp next year. Maybe some work on the side during OTA's and minicamp.

However, if he were healthy, yeah, you have to play him. He's your best receiver. If every receiver were healthy, I'd play Arob, Cole, and Westbrook with Hurns and Lee rotating in for limited snaps if both are active. Mickens is primarily your punt returner with an occasional snap on offense if you only play 4 active receivers.

I don't know why having an A-Rob or a Hurns in there would ditract from the rookies. If anything it'll open up some field for them with the vets drawing the better CBs.

Continue with the rookies until they show otherwise and ease the vets in. Why breaking up things that are working so well. All that said, the way Bortles is throwing now, it probably doesn't matter who the WRs are.

(12-19-2017, 07:50 PM)tmcoughlin Wrote: Continue with the rookies until they show otherwise and ease the vets in. Why breaking up things that are working so well. All that said, the way Bortles is throwing now, it probably doesn't matter who the WRs are.

How would it break things up to have the veterans out there?  As someone has already pointed out, it would actually provide more opportunity for the rookies to produce.  This entire hypothetical is mildly silly since A-Rob is done for the year and he's not coming back.  But, when Hurns is ready to return, they're not going to be sitting him on the sideline in favor of rookies. The young bucks will still get their opportunities even with Hurns and Lee back on the field healthy.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2017, 07:59 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-19-2017, 01:02 PM)Kane Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 12:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I play the rookies. It's been working, so don't mess with it. Simple as that.

I was assuming he was talking about Coles and Westbrook. Mickens hasn't proven anything yet.

4 catches 60 yards and 2 TDs. From a street FA/PR guy

I think he good.
I'd venture to say he actually had more of an impact than Westbrook.

Now... if the other guys are healthy am I slotting them behind these young cats? Naaah....
But I'm finding ways for them to be on the field more if possible.

That's one game. I could name a ton of "one hit wonders" over the years who had great games and disappeared forever. I'm not saying he won't be good. I hope he is, but we can't make determinations like this based off a single game from a street FA, who hasn't been with the team that long. Let's see what he does the rest of the season before we say whether he is good or bad.

(12-19-2017, 01:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 12:22 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I play the rookies. It's been working, so don't mess with it. Simple as that.

I was assuming he was talking about Coles and Westbrook. Mickens hasn't proven anything yet.
So you're starting Cole and Westbrook over a 100% healthy ARob?

Thank god you're not the coach and this is just a hypothetical.

Yes, what has ARob done lately that makes anyone think he is a #1 receiver?

I really hope that whoever started this thread was just joking around and didn't seriously think that arob was even eligible let alone healthy enough to come back for the playoffs lol. Hurnsy will absolutely be back in the starting lineup when he's healthy again and deservedly so, that doesn't mean that Cole and Westbrook won't play, it just means that hurns shouldn't lose his job to injury, he put in his dues, and Marrone is an old school guy so I don't think it will happen

(12-19-2017, 07:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 01:02 PM)Kane Wrote: 4 catches 60 yards and 2 TDs. From a street FA/PR guy

I think he good.

Now... if the other guys are healthy am I slotting them behind these young cats? Naaah....

That's one game. I could name a ton of "one hit wonders" over the years who had great games and disappeared forever. I'm not saying he won't be good. I hope he is, but we can't make determinations like this based off a single game from a street FA, who hasn't been with the team that long. Let's see what he does the rest of the season before we say whether he is good or bad.

(12-19-2017, 01:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: So you're starting Cole and Westbrook over a 100% healthy ARob?

Thank god you're not the coach and this is just a hypothetical.

Yes, what has ARob done lately that makes anyone think he is a #1 receiver?
Nothing considering he hasn’t played all year.

That’s not the point though. The point is that a healthy ARob is the best WR on the team.

The bottom line is you start your best players at their respective positions no matter what.  If/when the game is fully in control then perhaps pull them and put in the backups (we just saw this last game).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

A-Rob/Cole/Westbrook/Lee/Hurns/Mickens is looking like a very good WR corps for next year. That's a very diverse and complete set of skills. Not saying you keep them all, but if not you have Benn/Wyne/Greene as possible replacements. I really believe in A-Rob. But at this rate, his return is more about going elite status than saving a sinking ship.

The 3 young pups are faster,quicker

Yeah this isn't really a question. You play your starters. I think Cole and Westbrook could take the WR2 spot from Hurns next year though, with Hurns moving to the slot. Hurns is either getting reconstructed contract or he won't be here next year, so there is that aspect too. Lee is likely walking.

ARob
Westbrook
Hurns
Cole
Greene

That is a solid 5! We may even keep a 6th if we get Lee on the cheap and restructure Hurns.

(12-20-2017, 01:01 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Yeah this isn't really a question. You play your starters. I think Cole and Westbrook could take the WR2 spot from Hurns next year though, with Hurns moving to the slot. 
Hurns has been the Jags primary slot receiver for the past two seasons.  How is he moving to his current position? 
Huh

It's the "Z" position that is most in question (assuming Robinson is signed to a new deal).

The Z is Lee's usual spot. Both Cole and Westbrook have looked good playing that spot.
If Hurns is let go, the slot (Y) position gets interesting because the rookies haven't had tons of work there. So - it will be cool to watch who does well from the slot while Hurns is sitting.

I need to go back and watch the Seattle and tinhorn games to get some perspective on how that's going so far.

(12-20-2017, 01:01 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: Yeah this isn't really a question. You play your starters. I think Cole and Westbrook could take the WR2 spot from Hurns next year though, with Hurns moving to the slot. Hurns is either getting reconstructed contract or he won't be here next year, so there is that aspect too. Lee is likely walking.

ARob
Westbrook
Hurns
Cole
Mickens

That is a solid 5! We may even keep a 6th if we get Lee on the cheap and restructure Hurns.

FTFY

(12-19-2017, 07:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-19-2017, 01:02 PM)Kane Wrote: 4 catches 60 yards and 2 TDs. From a street FA/PR guy

I think he good.

...I guess.
You don't just fall into those stats. He was awfully close to having 3 TDs. I'm not saying Mickens should be our #1 WR by any stretch though.
I'm just saying, if you're going to say he hasn't done anything yet, neither has Westbrook... Cole on almost a full season of game reps hasn't done much either... but we're confident in them?
Shoot... all 3 of these guys could fall off a cliff after this season.... Which is why I say you start the Vets if/when they're healthy. But you find ways to get these guys on the field, including Mickens

(12-20-2017, 11:32 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 01:01 AM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote:  I think Cole and Westbrook could take the WR2 spot from Hurns next year though, with Hurns moving to the slot. 
Hurns has been the Jags primary slot receiver for the past two seasons.  How is he moving to his current position? 
Huh

It's the "Z" position that is most in question (assuming  Robinson is signed to a new deal).

The Z is Lee's usual spot.  Both Cole and Westbrook have looked good playing that spot.
If Hurns is let go, the slot (Y) position gets interesting because the rookies haven't had tons of work there. So - it will be cool to watch who does well from the slot while Hurns is sitting.

I need to go back and watch the Seattle and tinhorn games to get some perspective on how that's going so far.

Watching the first quarter of the 'hawks match-up and Hackett has already used Lee, Cole and Westbrook at the slot position.  Interesting. 

In the first 17 minutes of that game Westbrook had one catch from the slot, Lee had one catch from the slot, and Pinkard had one catch from the slot.  (Incidentally - Lee had one catch from each of the X,Y and Z spots in the first quarter.)

Sounds like Hurns may be a go this week - so it gets interesting as to whether he'll take over most of the work at Y or not.