Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Likely scenario - what do you do?

[Image: giphy.webp]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-20-2017, 02:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: This is the same mentality people here have had that says in the last quarter of the season we lose games to get a better draft position. That's crap. You play to win- always. We haven't 'arrived' yet. The season isn't over and we fight until it is. Can you imagine the foolishness that would come from the masses if we rested guys and lost otherwise winnable games? This MB alone would be in a meltdown that would intimidate Chernobyl. 

And as someone else mentioned, can you imagine going into the playoffs with a two game losing streak? We can't give anyone any reason to rail on us for being less than what we are. We get enough of that as it is. We are as good as we are and people are still not taking us seriously, we can't give them any rope with which to hang us.

Sometimes playing to win means being smart with the guys you’re leaning on the most once the tournament begins.  Seeing a critical starter go down to injury in a meaningless game would be devastating for this team, and they are simply too good to risk that.

If everything is locked up before week 17 and your seeding isn’t changing, you give your key players a much deserved bye to nurse any ailments.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(12-20-2017, 04:47 PM)FBT Wrote:
(12-20-2017, 02:22 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: This is the same mentality people here have had that says in the last quarter of the season we lose games to get a better draft position. That's crap. You play to win- always. We haven't 'arrived' yet. The season isn't over and we fight until it is. Can you imagine the foolishness that would come from the masses if we rested guys and lost otherwise winnable games? This MB alone would be in a meltdown that would intimidate Chernobyl. 

And as someone else mentioned, can you imagine going into the playoffs with a two game losing streak? We can't give anyone any reason to rail on us for being less than what we are. We get enough of that as it is. We are as good as we are and people are still not taking us seriously, we can't give them any rope with which to hang us.

Sometimes playing to win means being smart with the guys you’re leaning on the most once the tournament begins.  Seeing a critical starter go down to injury in a meaningless game would be devastating for this team, and they are simply too good to risk that.

I agree. I was going to add that to my post in a "that being said" kind of way, but I figured it's common sense. I still stand by what I said though. We play to win....but be smart about it as you pointed out.

(12-20-2017, 04:47 PM)FBT Wrote:

If everything is locked up before week 17 and your seeding isn’t changing, you give your key players a much deserved bye to nurse any ailments.

From the perspective of the team/organization who is looking toward success for the future  (the tournament), that is absolutely correct. They'll do what they think is smart and necessary to prepare their key players.

From the perspective of 30,000 - 60,000 fans who have paid alot of money for tickets/travel/etc to attend a week 17 NFL divisonal matchup,, IT REALLY STINKS. 

When there's no way to know if the game is going to be "meaningless" until a day or two ahead of time, it stinks to go to the game only to find that most of the key players aren't out there,, and you're watching 2nd and 3rd string players. What a bummer.

Play to win the games.

The 30-60,000 fans who have invested in this season have been rewarded with the best season since 2007.  If the seeding is locked up and they rest the starters in Tennessee, I doubt you’ll hear many complain because there’s still a week 18 to look forward to regardless.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Pitt has like a 77% chance to win and NE like an 84% chance. Then next week NE like 94% and Pitt 90%. Once you multiply all those numbers together there is only a 54% chance that they both win out, this is amateur hour. We are not resting guys. Also that is just based on the pointspreads I think Pitt especially is way too big of a favorite the next two weeks and the actualy chance of them both winning out in under 50%.

Only way you rest players next week is if NE and Pitt win and tenn and us lose. I don't see all of that happening. Best case for us is that we get flexed to Sunday night so we know if we have anything at stake before we play.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 11:53 AM by jagherd.)

(12-21-2017, 10:28 AM)FBT Wrote: The 30-60,000 fans who have invested in this season have been rewarded with the best season since 2007.  If the seeding is locked up and they rest the starters in Tennessee, I doubt you’ll hear many complain because there’s still a week 18 to look forward to regardless.

Agree.

I'm speaking about the fans in Tenn attending the game (which could be anywhere any season).

I'm just speaking from experience. Years ago, a friend and I planned on a week 17 game a couple months prior. We made sure we had tickets,, packed in the car and away we went on a pretty good road trip; only to find out that one of the teams were playing their scrubs. What a bummer that was.

But, I wholeheartedly understand why teams would rest starters in preparation for playoffs. Can't blame them for doing that at all.

**Regarding the Jags week 17:
If Tenn manages to beat LA this week and has a chance to get in the playoffs vs the Jags, I'd personally like to see the Jags play their guys to try and knock the tacks out of the running (even if Jax beats 49ers and have already claimed the AFCS). 

It would be awful if Jax rests players, Tenn makes it in the playoffs, and then the Jags have to face them later. Go ahead and knock 'em out.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017, 12:52 PM by jessepeck1213.)

(12-21-2017, 11:52 AM)jagherd Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 10:28 AM)FBT Wrote: The 30-60,000 fans who have invested in this season have been rewarded with the best season since 2007.  If the seeding is locked up and they rest the starters in Tennessee, I doubt you’ll hear many complain because there’s still a week 18 to look forward to regardless.

Agree.

I'm speaking about the fans in Tenn attending the game (which could be anywhere any season).

I'm just speaking from experience. Years ago, a friend and I planned on a week 17 game a couple months prior. We made sure we had tickets,, packed in the car and away we went on a pretty good road trip; only to find out that one of the teams were playing their scrubs. What a bummer that was.

But, I wholeheartedly understand why teams would rest starters in preparation for playoffs. Can't blame them for doing that at all.

**Regarding the Jags week 17:
If Tenn manages to beat LA this week and has a chance to get in the playoffs vs the Jags, I'd personally like to see the Jags play their guys to try and knock the tacks out of the running (even if Jax beats 49ers and have already claimed the AFCS). 

It would be awful if Jax rests players, Tenn makes it in the playoffs, and then the Jags have to face them later. Go ahead and knock 'em out.

If the jags win against the niners then they'll be playing their starters vs Tennessee because they'll still be in play for the # and #2 seeds. Unless it's flexed to Sunday night and the Steelers and pats both won their week 16 and 17 games. In that situation you rest your key vets, no doubt.

Dream scenario for me.would be getting flexed to the Sunday jight game. Pats or Steelers drop 1 of the next 2. Tennessee needs a win to get in and we need a win to secure a bye, and we spank em up and down the field on national TV and still get to rest starters in the 4th.

Way back in 2007, the Patriots went into their last game against the NY Giants with a 15-0 record. The Giants had secured a playoff spot and the thinking was that they would rest their players for that game to prepare for the playoff game.

Instead, they came in and battled the Patriots down to the wire, losing by a 38-35 score. It was one of the best games of the year and not a single Giant took a play off to rest. Their coach wanted them battle hardened and ready to play in the following games that mattered.

I don't have to tell you who that coach was...and I think you know the rest of the story.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

I believe that we will get the #1 seed. We're going to win out and Pitt will lose on Christmas Day (Merry Christmas, Jags!). Pats will drop a game in these last two weeks.

I believe

(12-21-2017, 07:39 PM)rocdee Wrote: I believe that we will get the #1 seed. We're going to win out and Pitt will lose on Christmas Day (Merry Christmas, Jags!). Pats will drop a game in these last two weeks.

I believe

The inspiration for my user name.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(12-21-2017, 07:55 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(12-21-2017, 07:39 PM)rocdee Wrote: I believe that we will get the #1 seed. We're going to win out and Pitt will lose on Christmas Day (Merry Christmas, Jags!). Pats will drop a game in these last two weeks.

I believe

The inspiration for my user name.

Bro, we're going to do it. We're going all the way. There's something special in the air, and I didn't just fart.