Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Mularkey Extended

(01-15-2018, 10:50 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 10:04 AM)Vicbow Rules Wrote: Any hope that Mariota will develop into a pocket passer that can be something more than he is right now is quickly diminishing.

I have the opposite opinion.

I know titans fans think Mularky is holding Maria down, but I think he's the only thing propping him up so far.

His focus has been on keeping Maria healthy and covering up his massive deficiencies as a passer. He does this by trying to keep the team ahead of the sticks and keeping plenty of protection in for him. (And trying to run a very simple passing scheme mostly freeing up their tight end in the middle of the field, one of the few areas Maria can competently hit)

Still it looks like there's no amount of contact that Maria can handle, and it also looks like he'll take years to develop as a passer if he ever does.

Remember when it was Wisenhunt coaching and Maria spent half the season injured? At least under Mularky he's mostly been able to be in games, even if he's not good enough to help the titans win.

You make some good points, especially about the passing scheme.  Hmmmm........
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No more Mularkey. They agreed to part ways according to NFL mobile app.

McDaniels is taking this job next Monday morning.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 11:18 AM by SeldomRite.)

And apparently now Mularky is fired.

I wonder if they're blowing it up or going to try to find a lame duck type to come in and get fired after a season.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM by Jags.)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-part-ways

How to you go from contract extension to parting ways? Was it not finalized or did say, McDaniels agree in principle type thing and Tacks reneg ?

My reaction seeing that the Titans are parting ways with Mularkey:

[Image: giphy.gif]

(01-15-2018, 11:22 AM)Brett Wrote: My reaction seeing that the Titans are parting ways with Mularkey:

[Image: giphy.gif]

^^ This
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Why? We need him!

Cue the price is right trombone....

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(01-14-2018, 10:27 PM)Jags239 Wrote: The division thanks you tacks.

were you saying something?

Well that was a dud. Goodbye 'exotic smashmouth' we hardly knew ya.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(01-15-2018, 12:55 PM)VondyP Wrote: were you saying something?

Yeah.. enjoy watching the AFC Championship game from home.

I don't know who's out there that the Titans would have made this move for, assuming McDaniels goes to the Colts and Shurmur to the Giants. Surely they wouldn't have fired Mularkey without a plan. And certainly that "plan" isn't to fire their coach, stumble around looking clueless for a while, then promote their offensive line coach and act like that was the plan all along, right? Smile

(01-15-2018, 05:18 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don't know who's out there that the Titans would have made this move for, assuming McDaniels goes to the Colts and Shurmur to the Giants. Surely they wouldn't have fired Mularkey without a plan. And certainly that "plan" isn't to fire their coach, stumble around looking clueless for a while, then promote their offensive line coach and act like that was the plan all along, right? Smile
Sounds like the thinking of a tack to me. This would be downright hilarious if it happened.

But then again it worked out well for us. Who is their offensive line coach again?

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018, 08:43 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I honestly think Mularkey did a great job with what he had to work with. Mularkey got dealt a bad hand here, he is not as bad as some think on this board. Mularkey is 5 times the head coach that Gus Bradley is. This will hurt the Titans imo, would put any kind of money they wont make the playoffs next year

(01-15-2018, 07:34 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(01-15-2018, 05:18 PM)TJBender Wrote: I don't know who's out there that the Titans would have made this move for, assuming McDaniels goes to the Colts and Shurmur to the Giants. Surely they wouldn't have fired Mularkey without a plan. And certainly that "plan" isn't to fire their coach, stumble around looking clueless for a while, then promote their offensive line coach and act like that was the plan all along, right? Smile
Sounds like the thinking of a tack to me. This would be downright hilarious if it happened.
It did. That's how they ended up with Mike Munchak.

(01-15-2018, 08:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Mularkey is 5 times the head coach that Gus Bradley is.
So he's two cheerleaders short of a full squad, then?

(01-15-2018, 08:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I honestly think Mularkey did a great job with what he had to work with.  Mularkey got dealt a bad hand here, he is not as bad as some think on this board.  Mularkey is 5 times the head coach that Gus Bradley is.  This will hurt the Titans imo, would put any kind of money they wont make the playoffs next year

Meh. We will see, I don't think Mariota is that great. They did do well though, the Patriots are something else. They somehow have everyone's number, but struggle a couple times a year and lose 2-3 games. Whoever takes over that gig will need to do exactly what Mularkey had to and resort to read options and boots. Mariota is not a typical pocket passer, when teams keep him in the pocket/limit his rushing effectiveness, he usually has bad games.

It's a surprising move and then again not surprising but with the AFC potentially on the verge of waving goodbye to the likes of Tom Brady and Ben Roethilsberger within the next year or two. I would have stuck it out with the guy that managed to get you a 9 - 7 record in back-to-back years after taking over a 3 - 13 mess. At this point you would have to think the man taking the job is potentially McDaniels or, dare I say, Jack Del Rio. Which IMHO, both look like lateral moves.

Other than maybe Bill O'Brien no other coordinator under Belichick has seen much success as a head coach. And McDaniels stint in Denver was troublesome. He went the Mangini route and dismantled his team within a year or two. Jack Del Rio just hangs around here and there when he has a decent passer or game manager at QB. But other than that. He's an 8 - 8 / 9 - 7 guy at best these days.

We'll see what happens soon enough.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Question is does nostalgia hit the Titans and they do the unthinkable and go out and grab Jeff Fisher. Hahahaha a funny parody of that happening

http://www.12up.com/posts/5948664-video-...head-coach

man crazy.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.