Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Bradley get canned if we get destroyed by Ten?

Quote:I think that Khan is inclined to abide by his word, so if he has said that he won't fire the HC prior to the end of the season then that's the way it probably is going to be. However, circumstances change and so a business man must remain flexible in order to cope. A smart business man always keeps his options open, and Khan is a smart business man. Although Khan may have said he is disinclined to fire a coach prior to seasons end, he is not bound to that statement by any means. 

A defeat on national television on Thursday night by a division opponent... especially if it's in a particularly humiliating manner, could be just the incentive to change Khan's mind and decide it's time to change course now and fire Gus Bradley and probably Olson too. I don't regard anybody who is presently on staff as someone I would want as the starting HC next season; so, if Gus is terminated prior to seasons end whoever fills the slot should just be temporary.

If such a thing were to take place, it should (hopefully) send an unmistakable message to all the players and coaches; losing is unacceptable here. You will not be allowed to remain here and not produce positive results, no matter how 'likable' and positive of a person you are. This is a results driven profession. To date, Gus Bradley has failed to produce even a hint of the desired results required. He is in a practical sense one of the losingest coaches in the history of the NFL! No owner with any sense wants a guy with that title as his head coach!

I for one would prefer for things to miraculously turn around for this team and for Gus to be able to retain his job here. However, I'm a a realist, and the probability is that the turnaround hoped for is unlikely to happen this season given what has been displayed on the field so far this year. We simply have no evidence on which to hang our hopes that such a thing will occur; in fact, we seem to be regressing in some key parts of the game this season. 

Therefore, while I wish that it were not so, I'm now inclined to think that it's possible (even probable?) that Gus may be fired prior to the end of the season. The only question is if he is fired prior to seasons end, when will it most likely happen? I had originally speculated that if this scenario did take place that it would wait until we were mathematically eliminated from the possibility of reaching at least a .500 record this year. While that is still mathematically possible, it seems unachievable given what we've witnessed on the field so far. So it would seem that the timing of Gus's departure would be predicated on getting the maximum positive effect of doing so while minimizing the negative.

Firing a head coach mid season is almost never a good thing; but in our situation we've hardly anything to lose at this point given the overall funk the team is now in. Sufficient talent is there now on the field; they just need someone to put it together for a winning season.

Excellent post.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The problem we currently have with Gus Bradley is that you have seen what he is. He won't get any better than what he is. You are what you are. A few wins against crappy teams doesn't truly get anybody excited because you know another embarrassing loss is just around the corner.

First of all, we are going to roll the Titans tomorrow.  However, I agree.  Casey Bradley needs to go.  I think we need to think outside the box with our next hire.  You know Nick Saban doesn't want to end his career as the guy who failed in the NFL.  It would be twice as sweet to do at Miami's Ponce De Leon Cup northern rivals.....  

President, Omaha for Jacksonville

Quote:Last time I checked in the Premier league average tenure for a Manager was 1.3 years. 

Last year in the first 4 english leagues (Premier league-championship (which is where Fulham plays)-league one) at half season 29 managers were already sacked. 

A couple of years ago 13 managers were sacked during a season in Premier League only (and consider there are 20 teams in PL compared to the 32 in the NFL).

Here in Italy it happens even more often and a manager only lasts 9 months on average. In Spain and Germany I think it's about 12 months the average tenure for a manager.

But well the rules around the leagues and the way teams are managed and administrated is completely different from the NFL.

Fulham FC is a mess though and whoever is responsible for the football-related decisions there has been really terrible.

Thanks for your input.

What you mentioned is very surprising after LONG time Arsenal Manager/ Coach Arsène Wenger came up in a discussion.  

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 01:18 PM by Section105Fan.)

10 Worst NFL Coaches of all time with at least 48 games under their belt;

From worst to best-worst;

1. Bert Bell .172. But he was the owner, so he didn't fire himself

2. Gus Bradley. .259

3. Dave Shula. .268

4. Jimmy Phelan. .271

5. Dave McGinnis. .298

6. Marion Campbell. .298

7. Joe Bugel. .300

8. Harland Svare. .304

9. Darryl Rogers. .310

10. Bill McPeak. .313

Gus has some distance to make up to get to # 1, but we are confident he'll make it! By the way, barely missing the top 10 is Mike Mularkey, at .316, but a loss Thursday night launches him into a tie for ninth place with Darryl Rogers.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 12:48 PM by D6.)

Quote:I think that Khan is inclined to abide by his word, so if he has said that he won't fire the HC prior to the end of the season then that's the way it probably is going to be. However, circumstances change and so a business man must remain flexible in order to cope. A smart business man always keeps his options open, and Khan is a smart business man. Although Khan may have said he is disinclined to fire a coach prior to seasons end, he is not bound to that statement by any means. 

A defeat on national television on Thursday night by a division opponent... especially if it's in a particularly humiliating manner, could be just the incentive to change Khan's mind and decide it's time to change course now and fire Gus Bradley and probably Olson too. I don't regard anybody who is presently on staff as someone I would want as the starting HC next season; so, if Gus is terminated prior to seasons end whoever fills the slot should just be temporary.

If such a thing were to take place, it should (hopefully) send an unmistakable message to all the players and coaches; losing is unacceptable here. You will not be allowed to remain here and not produce positive results, no matter how 'likable' and positive of a person you are. This is a results driven profession. To date, Gus Bradley has failed to produce even a hint of the desired results required. He is in a practical sense one of the losingest coaches in the history of the NFL! No owner with any sense wants a guy with that title as his head coach!

I for one would prefer for things to miraculously turn around for this team and for Gus to be able to retain his job here. However, I'm a a realist, and the probability is that the turnaround hoped for is unlikely to happen this season given what has been displayed on the field so far this year. We simply have no evidence on which to hang our hopes that such a thing will occur; in fact, we seem to be regressing in some key parts of the game this season. 

Therefore, while I wish that it were not so, I'm now inclined to think that it's possible (even probable?) that Gus may be fired prior to the end of the season. The only question is if he is fired prior to seasons end, when will it most likely happen? I had originally speculated that if this scenario did take place that it would wait until we were mathematically eliminated from the possibility of reaching at least a .500 record this year. While that is still mathematically possible, it seems unachievable given what we've witnessed on the field so far. So it would seem that the timing of Gus's departure would be predicated on getting the maximum positive effect of doing so while minimizing the negative.

Firing a head coach mid season is almost never a good thing; but in our situation we've hardly anything to lose at this point given the overall funk the team is now in. Sufficient talent is there now on the field; they just need someone to put it together for a winning season.

Excellent reply to my thoughts!

One additional reason why I believe Shad Khan and Dave Caldwell are ready to make at least one major change on the Jaguars Coaching Staff if the team loses to Tennessee tomorrow night is the AFC South might not have a team with a winning record this season.   The division barely had a team ( Houston ) with a winning record last season.    Based on the talent the Jaguars have on their roster and their injury situation (  even with DT Roy Miller now out for the season ) better than most NFL teams,   at least contending for the AFC South Title should be a realistic expectation for the Jaguars.    Barring the Jaguars playing better tomorrow night than has been the case all season long,    the odds seem against the Jaguars Coaching Staff remaining intact throughout the rest of this season.

Quote:10 Worst NFL Coaches of all time with at least 48 games under their belt;

2. Gus Bradley. .259

3. Dave Shula. .268

4. Jimmy Phelan. .271

5. Dave McGinnis. .298

6. Marion Campbell. .298

7. Joe Bugel. .300

8. Harland Svare. .304

9. Darryl Rogers. .310

10. Bill McPeak. .313

Gus has some distance to make up to get to # 1, but we are confident he'll make it! By the way, barely missing the top 10 is Mike Mularkey, at .316, but a loss Thursday night launches him into a tie for tenth place.

Even being mentioned with Darryl Rogers in terms of NFL HC performance paints a bleak picture for the Jaguars under Gus Bradley. 

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 12:55 PM by irontrooper83.)

Quote:   Thanks for your input.

What you mentioned is very surprising after LONG time Arsenal Manager/ Coach Arsène Wenger came up in a discussion.  

You are welcome!

Wenger is indeed a "strange" case in european football: he's been the manager for around 20 years at Arsenal and has won a lot of trophies in his early years. He's very good at developing young players but he has failed to win anything relevant since 10-12 years and that's why many Arsenal fans are divided between wanting him to go or having him staying there.

The board has always confirmed him because he never pushed for big signings (in european football you pay transfer fees to buy players and they are getting more and more crazy every year) and so the club never had financial problems but the fans are getting tired of never winning. 

The other longtime manager in PL was Alex Ferguson which spent more than 20 years at Manchester United and retired 3 years ago. 

But those are exceptions, on average managers change quite often (see the data in my previous post) especially in teams that fight to not be relegated in lower divisions or that aim at winning right away.

The thing is that it's less complicated to change the manager (hoping in a different outcome) rather than replacing a significant amount of players as transfer fees are high and young players are often not ready to perform or difficult go attract if you are not a good enough club. Not that changing managers often is really smart as stability is important as well. Best teams keep the same manager for years.

It's a crazy world, I've seen more than once the same team changing 3-4 manager in a season (usually doesn't happen in England but in less patient countries like Italy, Spain and others Big Grin)

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2016, 01:04 PM by Section105Fan.)

10 Worst NFL Coaches of all time with at least 48 games under their belt;

2. Gus Bradley. .259

3. Dave Shula. .268

4. Jimmy Phelan. .271

5. Dave McGinnis. .298

6. Marion Campbell. .298

7. Joe Bugel. .300

8. Harland Svare. .304

9. Darryl Rogers. .310

10. Bill McPeak. .313

Gus has some distance to make up to get to # 1, but we are confident he'll make it! By the way, barely missing the top 10 is Mike Mularkey, at .316, but a loss Thursday night launches him into a tie for ninth place with Darryl Rogers.

Quote:You are welcome!

Wenger is indeed a "strange" case in european football: he's been the manager for around 20 years at Arsenal and has won a lot of trophies in his early years. He's very good at developing young players but he has failed to win anything relevant since 10-12 years and that's why many Arsenal fans are divided between wanting him to go or having him staying there.

The board has always confirmed him because he never pushed for big signings (in european football you pay transfer fees to buy players and they are getting more and more crazy every year) and so the club never had financial problems but the fans are getting tired of never winning. 

The other longtime manager in PL was Alex Ferguson which spent more than 20 years at Manchester United and retired 3 years ago. 

But those are exceptions, on average managers change quite often (see the data in my previous post) especially in teams that fight to not be relegated in lower divisions or that aim at winning right away.

The thing is that it's less complicated to change the manager (hoping in a different outcome) rather than replacing a significant amount of players as transfer fees are high and young players are often not ready to perform or difficult go attract if you are not a good enough club. Not that changing managers often is really smart as stability is important as well. Best teams keep the same manager for years.

It's a crazy world, I've seen more than once the same team changing 3-4 manager in a season (usually doesn't happen in England but in less patient countries like Italy, Spain and others Big Grin)

What really jumps out is the comparison to the data you provided regarding European Football ( Soccer )  compared to the history of the Jacksonville Jaguars.   Tom Coughlin and Jack Del Rio had long stays as Jaguars HC.  Gus Bradley has lasted a long time when factoring in his W-L record.    The only exception was Mike Mularkey,  who lasted only 1 season.   If not for the fact that the Jaguars changed GMs in the winter of 2013,   Mularkey very likely would have remained the Jaguars HC at least through the early part of the 2013 regular season,  with a decent chance of lasting through that season.  

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2016, 04:01 AM by irontrooper83.)

Quote:   What really jumps out is the comparison to the data you provided regarding European Football ( Soccer )  compared to the history of the Jacksonville Jaguars.   Tom Coughlin and Jack Del Rio had long stays as Jaguars HC.  Gus Bradley has lasted a long time when factoring in his W-L record.    The only exception was Mike Mularkey,  who lasted only 1 season.   If not for the fact that the Jaguars changed GMs in the winter of 2013,   Mularkey very likely would have remained the Jaguars HC at least through the early part of the 2013 regular season,  with a decent chance of lasting through that season.  
It indeed jumps out a huge difference when comparing the 2 worlds and situations and it makes it an interesting topic. Smile

The whole head coach cycle is different in the nFL. Gus will probably stick around until season end as a "lame duck".

I would expect some on the staff to be released....or better just resign.

Looking back there's way too much buddyism that goes on. Gus got them these jobs ...if they were good they wouldn't have been available.

Owners hire a guy....and they know guys.....and they all move on when it things don't work out. If they do work out a few years all the better for them as the assistants move up the chain and in coordinators take a shot as coaches.

And the beat goes on.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

If the Jaguars lose embarrassingly to the titans I won't buy any tickets or merchandise and I won't watch again until we have a new coach.

Now, maybe some people will say I'm not a true fan, but khan isn't going to feel the voice of the fans any harder than if he gets hit in the wallet.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I don't care if we win anymore.