Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler: Trade? Option? (meged threads)

(04-24-2018, 01:19 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sort of depends on who you trade him to and their cap, but yes, w/o the option in place it negatively impacts value to the other team acquiring him.

So the only reason they have not exercised the option is if they find a DE to replace him in the draft?

Or a trade partner.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-24-2018, 11:50 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Sort of depends on who you trade him to and their cap, but yes, w/o the option in place it negatively impacts value to the other team acquiring him.

So the only reason they have not exercised the option is if they find a DE to replace him in the draft?

That could be one reason. 

They could also simply feel that he needs to continue to prove he deserves another deal and the extension isn't warranted. I mean, he's essentially a rotational player with a long list of off-field red flags.  

They may just be of the mind to let him play out his contract as is and then offer him what they believe he's worth next offseason - if he keeps progressing and stays out of trouble.

It could be that the team is already over the cap for next year and another 14+ million would break us.  We may not have a choice but to find his replacement in the draft unless he sucks this year and is suddenly very affordable.  Then we won't want him anyway.

I just see all these guys getting their option picked up.....Shane Ray, Amari Cooper, Williams, Bud Dupree, and others.....and I try to reevaluate whether the right decision is to let him walk.

DE's....23 year old productive DE's who did so in the AFC championship game as well, don't grow on trees.

(04-24-2018, 05:16 PM)nate Wrote: I just see all these guys getting their option picked up.....Shane Ray, Amari Cooper,  Williams, Bud Dupree,  and others.....and I try to reevaluate whether the right decision is to let him walk.

DE's....23 year old productive DE's who did so in the AFC championship game as well, don't grow on trees.

I'll be surprised if we don't bring him back. Then again, I thought for sure we'd keep ARob too
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

This could be a prove it year then try to sign him long term.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-24-2018, 02:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 01:19 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: So the only reason they have not exercised the option is if they find a DE to replace him in the draft?

That could be one reason. 

They could also simply feel that he needs to continue to prove he deserves another deal and the extension isn't warranted. I mean, he's essentially a rotational player with a long list of off-field red flags.  

They may just be of the mind to let him play out his contract as is and then offer him what they believe he's worth next offseason - if he keeps progressing and stays out of trouble.

To be fair about the rotational part, some of that is simply because he's playing along a DL that is stacked with talent (only so many snaps can be had). As well as the fact that nobody expected us to strike gold with Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue had upside obviously, which is why he went in the 3rd round, but I don't think there's a single person besides maybe Ngakoue himself, who thought he'd start his young career off like he has.

(04-24-2018, 10:38 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 02:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: That could be one reason. 

To be fair about the rotational part, some of that is simply because he's playing along a DL that is stacked with talent (only so many snaps can be had). As well as the fact that nobody expected us to strike gold with Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue had upside obviously, which is why he went in the 3rd round, but I don't think there's a single person besides maybe Ngakoue himself, who thought he'd start his young career off like he has.

I agree with all of that, but the dynamic created by the talent in place ahead of Fowler still will impact the team's decision making and it still makes him a "rotational" player for the time being. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm advocating keeping the young and ascending Fowler, I'm just not convinced the F.O. is chomping at the bit to throw money at him just yet.

Meh... maybe they get some trade requests for him... but I think it's simply a high priced position and a lack of production.
We have Yannick in the future and a lot of money tied up in Malik, Calais, and Dareus...
If he blows up this season, we can try to sign him (after making some sure cuts on the DL), or if he walks in FA we might get a comp pick.

It's just a scenario where he hasn't played at a rate we need to hold on to him.

Our cap situation isn't really in any dire straits though... just saw on the ol tweeter box that we're still top 10 in available cap space.

(04-25-2018, 12:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Meh... maybe they get some trade requests for him... but I think it's simply a high priced position and a lack of production.
We have Yannick in the future and a lot of money tied up in Malik, Calais, and Dareus...
If he blows up this season, we can try to sign him (after making some sure cuts on the DL), or if he walks in FA we might get a comp pick.

It's just a scenario where he hasn't played at a rate we need to hold on to him.

Our cap situation isn't really in any dire straits though... just saw on the ol tweeter box that we're still top 10 in available cap space.

You drop Dareus and give his money to Fowler.. Easy decision.

2-3 years ago we were dying to have any pass rusher who could get 8 sacks in a single season. Now people want to get rid of a 23 year old pass rusher who just did that++ in limited snaps... It doesn't make any sense.

Dareus is a good player, don't get me wrong, but you can find a run first, pass rush second DT/NT type far easier than a true pass rusher.

(04-25-2018, 11:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 12:43 PM)Kane Wrote: Meh... maybe they get some trade requests for him... but I think it's simply a high priced position and a lack of production.

2-3 years ago we were dying to have any pass rusher who could get 8 sacks in a single season. Now people want to get rid of a 23 year old pass rusher who just did that++ in limited snaps... It doesn't make any sense.

Dareus is a good player, don't get me wrong, but you can find a run first, pass rush second DT/NT type far easier than a true pass rusher.

I second this. I like Dareus, but give me the young ascending player every time.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 08:29 AM by BlueEyedJag.)

Except for the fact that cutting Dareus still doesn't get us under the cap for next year...thats before we even give Fowler the money from Dareus.

Spotrac has our estimated cap at the end of next year to be -44M.

That includes Darues and Fowler option which is roughly 26M....so cutting Dareus and not picking up Fowler still leaves us at -18M in cap space.

(04-26-2018, 08:28 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 11:15 PM)Eric1 Wrote: You drop Dareus and give his money to Fowler.. Easy decision.

Except for the fact that cutting Dareus still doesn't get us under the cap for next year...thats before we even give Fowler the money from Dareus.

That includes Darues and Fowler option which is roughly 26M....so cutting Dareus and not picking up Fowler still leaves us at -18M in cap space.

Over the cap's site has us at -18mil in 2019 before the annual cap increase.  (it went up 10 million last year)

There are so many ways to manage the space and so much decision making football to be played in 2018. 
Not worth fretting until we near the end of the 2018 season IMO. Some cuts may become obvious by then, and others may become clear candidates for restructuring. 

The impact of the crop of rookies coming in will be a factor as well. You may have a young player on a cheap deal supplanting a vet here or there.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2018, 09:05 AM by BlueEyedJag.)

(04-26-2018, 08:57 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 08:28 AM)BlueEyedJag Wrote: Except for the fact that cutting Dareus still doesn't get us under the cap for next year...thats before we even give Fowler the money from Dareus.

Over the cap's site has us at -18mil in 2019 before the annual cap increase.  (it went up 10 million last year)

There are so many ways to manage the space and so much decision making football to be played in 2018. 
Not worth fretting until we near the end of the 2018 season IMO. Some cuts may become obvious by then, and others may become clear candidates for restructuring. 

The impact of the crop of rookies coming in will be a factor as well. You may have a young player on a cheap deal supplanting a vet here or there.
They also don't have Fowler listed...so thats 14M I listed.

I'm not fretting the cap but I just know I would rather have Jack/Yannick/Ramsey over Fowler...

As was stated earlier I think the decision to cut Dareus is a given....the issue then becomes Campbell or Fowler.

Sure... and we can make that move next off season if Fowler plays well enough to warrant it.

So with this draft adding Taven Bryan, a penetrating DT, Harrison, a SS with play making ability, and Richardson, does Fowler get the extension or not?

I think Malik Jackson, Barry Church and Jermey Parnell are gone by this time next year, easily.

But Fowler? Stay tuned...

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-29-2018, 09:32 AM)Bullseye Wrote: So with this draft adding Taven Bryan, a penetrating DT, Harrison, a SS with play making ability, and Richardson, does Fowler get the extension or not?

I think Malik Jackson, Barry Church and Jermey Parnell are gone by this time next year, easily.  

But Fowler?  Stay tuned...

And the Jags didn't draft an edge pass rusher. They might have been holding off to see if one fell into their laps in the draft.

I'm in the keep Fowler camp. Ten sacks including playoffs is nothing to sneeze at. He improved a lot last year and I expect him to be even better this coming season.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(04-29-2018, 09:32 AM)Bullseye Wrote: So with this draft adding Taven Bryan, a penetrating DT, Harrison, a SS with play making ability, and Richardson, does Fowler get the extension or not?

But Fowler? Stay tuned...

I don’t see his replacement on the roster at the moment and if they really are trying to improve DLine depth (Bryan) then it would be strange to let him go after 2018.

Or maybe that’s something they look at in the draft next year...

If I were to base it after how the draft went, I'd say they keep him. As mentioned, they drafted players to replace high salaries in other spots and no replacement for Fowler.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

But Fowler?  Stay tuned...

I still feel like Jackson gets a restructure before he gets cut...unless someone wants to trade for him.

Parnell/Church or Gipson are as good as gone in a year tho.

Onto the topic...I don't think they pick up the option but try to work out something that is a decent deal for the team.  Yannick is going to command more money than Fowler so I don't see them signing Fowler to a long term 14M + deal with Yannick needing something higher the next year.  Only possibility is that Campbell gets removed and Fowler becomes the starter end opposite Yannick.