Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dante Fowler: Trade? Option? (meged threads)

(02-08-2018, 09:29 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Better Off Dead and Say Anything are among my favorites.  This Mountain is Pure Snow

"N-T...tentacles...big difference."

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't like the idea very much. He's our Brandon Graham. I'm not fixated on his draft status and who we could have had. Honestly, this team needs to add a 3-Tech and 5-Tech. I don't want to get into a situation like we did in '08 where all the sudden, the entire unit was old. Do what the Steelers, Ravens, Packers do and keep adding defenders and playmakers. I'd love to see the Jags end up with Davenport, Hurst or Landry while keeping the unit intact.

(02-08-2018, 11:49 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: I don't like the idea very much. He's our Brandon Graham. I'm not fixated on his draft status and who we could have had. Honestly, this team needs to add a 3-Tech and 5-Tech. I don't want to get into a situation like we did in '08 where all the sudden, the entire unit was old. Do what the Steelers, Ravens, Packers do and keep adding defenders and playmakers. I'd love to see the Jags end up with Davenport, Hurst or Landry while keeping the unit intact.

We need to upgrade the interior on the oline way more than the interior on the dline

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 03:40 AM by wrong_box.)

(02-08-2018, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 12:34 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I love that movie. It had one of my favorite lines ever........

https://youtu.be/6srI0EVwTUE

That movie had great lines for days.  That was one of many.

One of my faves..."Gee I'm real sorry your mom blew up Ricky...guess she won't be able to eat any spicy foods for awhile. "

"TWO DOLLARS! I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" The paperboy

(02-08-2018, 11:49 PM)TheAll22 Wrote: I don't like the idea very much. He's our Brandon Graham. I'm not fixated on his draft status and who we could have had. Honestly, this team needs to add a 3-Tech and 5-Tech. I don't want to get into a situation like we did in '08 where all the sudden, the entire unit was old. Do what the Steelers, Ravens, Packers do and keep adding defenders and playmakers. I'd love to see the Jags end up with Davenport, Hurst or Landry while keeping the unit intact.

Unless you are preparing for the day Dareus and/or Jackson have to leave, why do we need more 3 and 5 techs?

Between Dareus, Jackson and Abry Jones, we're okay at the position.  Now I could see the team dumping Abry Jones, especially if the team goes after a big ticket FA like Cousins.

But I agree with the general principle that this defense is loaded with playmakers, including Fowler, and as close as we were to the Super Bowl, we should not be in any hurry to get rid of our playmakers, especially at premium positions. 

They should be pried only from our cold dead hands to the extent possible.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 08:00 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-08-2018, 09:29 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Better Off Dead and Say Anything are among my favorites.  This Mountain is Pure Snow

"It's everywhere!  Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?!?"

(02-09-2018, 03:39 AM)wrong_box Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote: That movie had great lines for days.  That was one of many.

One of my faves..."Gee I'm real sorry your mom blew up Ricky...guess she won't be able to eat any spicy foods for awhile. "

"TWO DOLLARS! I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" The paperboy

"It has raisins in it.  You like raisins."

(02-09-2018, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

"It's everywhere!  Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?!?"

(02-09-2018, 03:39 AM)wrong_box Wrote: "TWO DOLLARS! I WANT MY TWO DOLLARS!!!" The paperboy

"Two brothers... One speaks no English, the other learned English from watching "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me... Which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell?"

Howard Cosell was an infamous sportscaster back in the day for all you youngin's.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(02-02-2018, 04:37 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 03:58 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: why on earth would we trade a 3rd overall pick after his best season at a premiere position when he is still super young?

you want as many pass rushers as you can get, and campbell is going to be 32

Not only is trading him crazy, but trading him for a 3rd round pick is down right stupid

I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd round pick....  QB, pass rushers, and CB are probably the 3 most important positions in football

Uhhh........ I would argue that blindside OT is equally, if not more important, than pass rushers or CB's.

I think in today's era of football where more and more QBs are of the "mobile" variety, having that elite LT isn't seen as such a high priority. Teams can scheme around their OLs and QBs have definitely made their OLs look better than they are by avoiding rush with their legs.
IMO, you're right that they are important. And I'd likely rank them higher than CBs on the list.
 Pass Rush, QB, LT to me...

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018, 11:24 AM by Bullseye.)

(02-09-2018, 09:56 AM)Deacon Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 08:00 AM)Bullseye Wrote: "It's everywhere!  Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?!?"

Howard Cosell was an infamous sportscaster back in the day for all you youngin's.

If any of you "youngin's" have ever seen Chris Berman do NFL highlights and go "he could go all the way...," that was one of his many tributes to Cosell, who used to do halftime highlights during halftime of MNF.

"Hey Badger, your book on how to pick up trashy women is here. Tell me Badger, what's a little boy like you doing with big boy smut like this?"

(02-02-2018, 01:38 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Nope don’t trade him. Just keep him. If he walks you get a comp pick. And like you stated, you could replace someone like Church or Gipson easier than Fowler.

Maybe Gip, perhaps even Abry Jones or Poz, but not Church. After seeing how much of an upgrade he's been over Cyp, I don't want anything happening to Church. We need him back there, and the Cowboys are reeling from letting him walk. 
'02

(02-09-2018, 11:41 AM)Jags02 Wrote:
(02-02-2018, 01:38 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Nope don’t trade him. Just keep him. If he walks you get a comp pick. And like you stated, you could replace someone like Church or Gipson easier than Fowler.

Maybe Gip, perhaps even Abry Jones or Poz, but not Church. After seeing how much of an upgrade he's been over Cyp, I don't want anything happening to Church. We need him back there, and the Cowboys are reeling from letting him walk. 

I understand exactly where you are coming from, 02.

I really appreciate Church.  He provides much better coverage than Cyp, to say nothing of proper pursuit angles.

But as talented as this defense is, there may come a time where we have to choose this player or that one.  If it came down to a choice between Fowler and Church, I would choose Fowler and be sad to see Church leave.

I think Fowler is better than Yannick. I know I’m in the minority but in limited snaps he’s still productively getting to the quarterback with sacks and hurries and he’s a better run defender to me. I’d like to see him get as many snaps as Yannick and see him take off. He’s a way more violent player even though Yan is quicker and faster but his disposition out there is what I like. This is coming from someone who hated the draft selection of him.

I saw a mock draft today that had us taking Arden Key in the 1st round. Thoughts? You can never have too many pass rushers, but where would Arden even get playing time? The Eagles kind of did this with Derek Barnett this year and it worked out okay. Thats a lot of talent to pass up on, but we just have much bigger needs

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 01:01 AM by Upper.)

(02-10-2018, 09:53 PM)P. Haze Wrote: I think Fowler is better than Yannick. I know I’m in the minority but in limited snaps he’s still productively getting to the quarterback with sacks and hurries and he’s a better run defender to me. I’d like to see him get as many snaps as Yannick and see him take off. He’s a way more violent player even though Yan is quicker and faster but his disposition out there is what I like. This is coming from someone who hated the draft selection of him.

What, c'mon now. Yannick got a whopping 60 pressures this year (nextgenstats not PFFs) on 767 snaps. Despite us having so many sacks he was still one of only 15 players in the league that had 30% of their teams pressures. He also had the 4th highest snap to pressure ratio in the league. He was by pretty much any measure you can look at truly dominant.

Fowler on the other hand only got 20 pressures on 464 snaps, which is a very small ratio compared to his sack total. Smart money would have those sacks dropping significantly next year. (We can also deduce from the % of team pressures that Campbell also had an unsustainable pressure to sack ratio but I haven't seen those exact numbers nor do I really want to start a debate on him)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVT9NRAWAAAphYD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVDX-jDUMAEp-17.jpg

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 01:26 AM by JackCity.)

We're in a good spot with Fowler. He's shown enough to still be intriguing while also not being close to "vital".

Let's see how he does with another offseason. If things aren't going well I'd wager we'd find some team who'd part with a 2nd/3rd at the deadline. If he blows up you either keep him or try flip him for a 1st.

(02-11-2018, 12:00 AM)JNev Wrote: I saw a mock draft today that had us taking Arden Key in the 1st round. Thoughts? You can never have too many pass rushers, but where would Arden even get playing time? The Eagles kind of did this with Derek Barnett this year and it worked out okay. Thats a lot of talent to pass up on, but we just have much bigger needs

That would be a terrible pick.

For the first time in a long time, we have enough talent on the roster that the front office has to have a salary budget. They have to take all these guys and see how they all fit under the cap in upcoming years. So the question of trading or not trading Fowler goes a lot deeper than simply do we like him or not. The front office has to figure out how much it costs to keep him, what other players they might have to give up to keep him, and what they can get for him in a trade. But it's a matter of choices. Not just, "do we like him or not."

We have a lot of young talent that will have to he re-signed in the coming years, so trading him now a draft pick might be the best option if we can get a decent trade. It depends on the budget.

(02-11-2018, 01:00 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 09:53 PM)P. Haze Wrote: I think Fowler is better than Yannick. I know I’m in the minority but in limited snaps he’s still productively getting to the quarterback with sacks and hurries and he’s a better run defender to me. I’d like to see him get as many snaps as Yannick and see him take off. He’s a way more violent player even though Yan is quicker and faster but his disposition out there is what I like. This is coming from someone who hated the draft selection of him.

What, c'mon now. Yannick got a whopping 60 pressures this year (nextgenstats not PFFs) on 767 snaps. Despite us having so many sacks he was still one of only 15 players in the league that had 30% of their teams pressures. He also had the 4th highest snap to pressure ratio in the league. He was by pretty much any measure you can look at truly dominant.

Fowler on the other hand only got 20 pressures on 464 snaps, which is a very small ratio compared to his sack total. Smart money would have those sacks dropping significantly next year. (We can also deduce from the % of team pressures that Campbell also had an unsustainable pressure to sack ratio but I haven't seen those exact numbers nor do I really want to start a debate on him)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVT9NRAWAAAphYD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVDX-jDUMAEp-17.jpg

Hey man that's my opinion. You think Yannick is way better by your argument and that's cool. I know we struggled in run defense most the year and he was out there way more than Dante was and that is part of the equation when saying who does the whole job better. Your whole point is pressures and sacks when someone has over 300 more attempts at em than the other guy. Sacks is more of a repetition thing and doing it over and over and finding a rhythm during the game, well clearly Yan had more chances to find that zone due to him being out there more. I believe you give Fowler the same amount of snaps and he'll be a double digit sack guy, you don't. Matter of fact you said his sack numbers will drop significantly next year, you willing to bet that?

(02-10-2018, 09:53 PM)P. Haze Wrote: I think Fowler is better than Yannick. I know I’m in the minority but in limited snaps he’s still productively getting to the quarterback with sacks and hurries and he’s a better run defender to me. I’d like to see him get as many snaps as Yannick and see him take off. He’s a way more violent player even though Yan is quicker and faster but his disposition out there is what I like. This is coming from someone who hated the draft selection of him.

Fowler is better against the run for sure.  I think that may be the only part of this post I agree with.  

I think he may develop into a more violent player at some point. But he's not as good of a player yet and that overshadows any upside of "violence" in his play.  
Yannick's work with his hands may not be as "violent" but it's superior to what Fowler is currently up to. 
Fowler still has work to get done technically there and it's one of the reasons Ngakoue gets so many more pressures per snap. 

This is all aside from Ngakoue's clear superiority at bending around the edge and getting pressure and ball-strips from the backside of the pocket.  Fowler has shown very little ability in that aspect of the position. 

I hope Fowler isn't traded and takes another step forward.  He's definitely going to get better and he's already very good. He just doesn't have the pass rush skill of Ngakoue yet, and he'll probably never have that type of bend.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2018, 03:16 PM by JackCity.)

Fowler can the "Tamba Hali" to Yannicks "Justin Houston".

Tamba wasn't good at turning the corner or agile enough to consistently win around the edge but he had an insane motor snap to snap and heavy hands. He developed into a great hands fighter with multiple counters that let him get to his spots.

Granted Fowler is smaller but that's more his archetype than what Yannick is doing right now. Work on his hands and moves more and he can be a consistent 8+ sack guy and a great run defender.