Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
4th Round Pick

Quote:Westbrook is not as good as Hurns, Robinson, or Lee. Backup.

When you have an OL that is made of paper mache, you don't draft backup WRs and DLs.

I was so glad when Coughlin came back. But I forgot how terrible a drafter he was. I actually expected Caldwell to still mostly handle that.

Well Said. This draft is not what we "needed". Such a disappointment...Oh well, at least the jags give me a reason to drink beer on Sundays.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well Said. This draft is not what we "needed". Such a disappointment...Oh well, at least the jags give me a reason to drink beer on Sundays.
Coughlin a bad drafter?  You do know he drafted about every great player in Jags history, right?

Seriously, Coughlins draft picks are still the face of this franchise.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:Coughlin a bad drafter? You do know he drafted about every great player in Jags history, right?

Seriously, Coughlins draft picks are still the face of this franchise.
You must be a younger fan.

Coughlin had way more than his share of misses. His famous pick of Freddy T would have been a miss as he wanted Curtis Enis over him, but he was selected by Chicago. Remember the epic reach of RJ Soward?

Im not going to recap poor drafting by the Jaguar's but Coughlin is far from perfect, and although time will tell, it looks like he has made some misses in this draft...

Needs drafting is why we're currently at the bottom, in case anyone missed it.  All the needs picks on players who didn't pan out where successful players were taken by other teams at different positions.

Coughlin missed his share like everyone does, no extended warranties come with draft picks... no lemon law to allow a "do over."

What Coughlin did was bring in key contributors and focus on the right fundamentals in order to have even his least talented teams be competitive.

This draft illustrates we're doing exactly that... getting back to the fundamentals of good football.  Smash mouth run game and physically beat the opponent.  Speed at skill positions and special teams contributors.  Football guys.  Winners hungry to win.

If you look at the position taken alone and not take a deeper look the actual player selected, sure.  It's easy to say we didn't find this or that need position if that's what makes you happy.

I'm not sure it would be wise at all to call them "misses" so soon, however.  If you look at the players themselves, each are intriguing and have qualities that make the selections not hard to understand.

The first two picks are self explanatory: bruising, elite prospect at RB and a lineman to block for him that wasn't expected to be there.  Fournette is now the identity of the franchise.  Smoot was the first wildcard of their draft.  Time will tell there (as it will with all the picks,) but it is reminiscent of moves made in NY to have a stable of high motor guys on both ends of the defensive line that was a staple of their defensive success.  Westbrook is the epitome of value and risk/reward.  He was tied with two others as the fourth highest rated prospect at the WR position (according to nfl.com ratings.)  It's not usual to find second round talent in the fourth round, hard if not impossible to find a single critical mention of the pick on football merits alone, and the front office response on their due diligence was about as reasonable as it gets.  Brown is the classic "football player," instant special teams and depth contributor.  Myrick has rare speed and also should contribute on special teams immediately.  Marquez Williams is about as under the radar as it gets, another rare skillset for a position we didn't even carry a year ago.  Day three guys typically don't contribute or last long in the league, but it appears we found contributors even though they may not fit what some expected as positions of "need."

As always, a deeper look gives greater perspective.  A "miss" will be defined on the player's contributions, not by what position they play vs what fans were considered "needed."  We need better football players, and it would appear we got better this weekend.  Day 3 was certainly a day of value, getting more from lesser picks.

But to some they look like misses?  Well, we'll see.  Nobody's perfect.  When I look deeper at the player selected and their merits, I see a lot more than if looking solely at the label of the position selected.  But that's just me I suppose.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Needs drafting is why we're currently at the bottom, in case anyone missed it. 

I don't disagree with the sentiment/essence of your post, but just to be clear, 4 of the seven players selected were considered "needs" by almost everyone who made a list of the Jags "needs." 

Including #4 and #35. 

It's never about just need or just value.  It's always about where need meets value. 

[Image: 2irq9op.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!