Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If not Blake, who is your choice?

(02-08-2018, 08:43 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote: process > results

Blake had a good year, but is still an average quarterback.

Blake was so good in the playoffs completing a measly 57% of his passes. He's had 4 years in the league and he still can't consistently throws receivers in stride on easy crossing routes. He was literally asked to do the bare minimum on this team last year, ditto in the playoffs. The majority of his completions are crossing routes or passes in the flat. There were only 2 passes the entire playoffs that were impressive, both to Cole. The guy isn't going to take the next step because his accuracy is bad and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

And please stop mentioning playoffs as to why Blake is better. Cousins does more with less every single year. Not his fault he has never had an historic defense on his side.
[Image: giphy.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 09:03 PM by jagsfan1983.)

When he throws for tons of yards and 35 touchdowns he sucks because the team is losing. When the team wins 12 games and sniffs the super bowl he sucks and it was all the defense. When his QBR sucks and the team is losing its because he sucks. When his QBR is average to good it’s because QBR is a crappy stat. It’s pretty hilarious actually. Harp on the defense all you like but all 4 teams in the conference championship games were top 5 defenses. Brady had a top 6 scoring defense in all 5 super bowl seasons and top 1 or 2 3 times. But Blake Bortles is the only one who benefits from a great defense when his team wins. Got it. People are suggesting trading for Foles based on a 3 game run after an awful regular season. Funny.

What made the jags defense “historic” btw?

And just to be clear about this, right now I do feel that Cousins is better than Blake. But I would put them both in the range of QBs who are clearly not in the top 10 but not in the bottom 10 either. The difference between QBs in that range is not great, and perception changes quickly. It's just too much of a gamble to mortgage your future on Cousins.

If the option was for Bortles for 1 year 19 mil or Cousins for 1 year 19 mil I would choose Cousins. But that's not the option. You can only pay Cousins that money if you're sure he's gonna be an excellent QB for the foreseeable future. Personally I think there's no guarantee that will happen.

If TC and Dave think he is, then I will of course trust their judgement and hope for the best, but I don't see them going in that direction. Having said that, the fact that they haven't officially said anything about being committed to Bortles next year suggests they are looking at all options, as they should.

We're talking about giving Cousins what the Niners gave Jimmy G.? That would be like paying the same money for a Sonata that your buddy paid for a Benz!

(02-08-2018, 09:36 PM)Rooster Wrote: We're talking about giving Cousins what the Niners gave Jimmy G.?  That would be like paying the same money for a Sonata that your buddy paid for a Benz!

Jimmy G he of the 7 TDs and 5 INTs? 

I kid (sorta).  No doubt a great talent and will be *worth* the deal with Shanahan but it's not that surprising that an established franchise QB like Cousins would get paid more than him.

Blake was so good in the playoffs completing a measly 57% of his passes. He's had 4 years in the league and he still can't consistently throws receivers in stride on easy crossing routes. He was literally asked to do the bare minimum on this team last year, ditto in the playoffs. The majority of his completions are crossing routes or passes in the flat. There were only 2 passes the entire playoffs that were impressive, both to Cole. The guy isn't going to take the next step because his accuracy is bad and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

And please stop mentioning playoffs as to why Blake is better. Cousins does more with less every single year. Not his fault he has never had an historic defense on his side.

Just like it's not Blake's fault that he'd never have great coaching on his side. Just imagine Blake Bortles development if he can be coach throughout his career by Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, and Sean McVay.

(02-08-2018, 09:05 PM)JagJohn Wrote: And just to be clear about this, right now I do feel that Cousins is better than Blake. But I would put them both in the range of QBs who are clearly not in the top 10 but not in the bottom 10 either. The difference between QBs in that range is not great, and perception changes quickly. It's just too much of a gamble to mortgage your future on Cousins.

If the option was for Bortles for 1 year 19 mil or Cousins for 1 year 19 mil I would choose Cousins. But that's not the option. You can only pay Cousins that money if you're sure he's gonna be an excellent QB for the foreseeable future. Personally I think there's no guarantee that will happen.

If TC and Dave think he is, then I will of course trust their judgement and hope for the best, but I don't see them going in that direction. Having said that, the fact that they haven't officially said anything about being committed to Bortles next year suggests they are looking at all options, as they should.

TC and Dave do not have to announce that Blake Bortles is coming back next season because what's the urgency of telling the world about their future plans right now. Their actions going to speak louder than their words so March 14th would tell us everything we need to know about our current situation.

(02-08-2018, 09:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote:

Just like it's not Blake's fault that he'd never have great coaching on his side. Just imagine Blake Bortles development if he can be coach throughout his career by Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, and Sean McVay.

Blake needs great coaching to be able to consistently throw 5 yard crossing routes in stride?

(02-08-2018, 10:14 PM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 09:43 PM)leopold332002 Wrote: Just like it's not Blake's fault that he'd never have great coaching on his side. Just imagine Blake Bortles development if he can be coach throughout his career by Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Jay Gruden, and Sean McVay.

Blake needs great coaching to be able to consistently throw 5 yard crossing routes in stride?

He does need receivers that can catch the ball on 5 yard crossing routes.  Lee had the 3rd most drops in the league last time I checked.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 11:46 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-08-2018, 09:01 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: When he throws for tons of yards and 35 touchdowns he sucks because the team is losing. When the team wins 12 games and sniffs the super bowl he sucks and it was all the defense. When his QBR sucks and the team is losing its because he sucks. When his QBR is average to good it’s because QBR is a crappy stat. It’s pretty hilarious actually. Harp on the defense all you like but all 4 teams in the conference championship games were top 5 defenses. Brady had a top 6 scoring defense in all 5 super bowl seasons and top 1 or 2 3 times. But Blake Bortles is the only one who benefits from a great defense when his team wins. Got it. People are suggesting trading for Foles based on a 3 game run after an awful regular season. Funny.

No. After his second year, I was actually very excited about him being our starter for many years to come. The problem is a young QB should show steady improvement from year to year and that just didn't happen with Bortles. He actually regressed. I stuck by Bortles as long as I could, waiting for him to become a really good starter, but so far, his rookie year was his best season and that just isn't good enough. It's time to bring in some new, young blood to give Bortles competition in 2018 and replace him by 2019. This team is too good to be saddled with a QB who can't improve from his 2nd season in the league.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2018, 11:41 PM by jagsfan1983.)

(02-08-2018, 11:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 09:01 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: When he throws for tons of yards and 35 touchdowns he sucks because the team is losing. When the team wins 12 games and sniffs the super bowl he sucks and it was all the defense. When his QBR sucks and the team is losing its because he sucks. When his QBR is average to good it’s because QBR is a crappy stat. It’s pretty hilarious actually. Harp on the defense all you like but all 4 teams in the conference championship games were top 5 defenses. Brady had a top 6 scoring defense in all 5 super bowl seasons and top 1 or 2 3 times. But Blake Bortles is the only one who benefits from a great defense when his team wins. Got it. People are suggesting trading for Foles based on a 3 game run after an awful regular season. Funny.

No. His first year, I was actually very excited about him being our starter for many years to come. The problem is a young QB should show steady improvement from year to year and that just didn't happen with Bortles. He actually regressed. I stuck by Bortles as long as I could, waiting for him to become a really good starter, but so far, his rookie year was his best season and that just isn't good enough. It's time to bring in some new, young blood to give Bortles competition in 2018 and replace him by 2019. This team is too good to be saddled with a QB who can't improve from his rookie season.

His rookie year he threw 11 tds and 17 ints. The next year 35 tds and 18 ints. His INT% DYAR and DVOA have improved every year of his career. They improved significantly last year after the coaching change. He had a career high completion %. At this point he is around the 14 or 15th best qb. When he entered the league he was at the bottom.

(02-08-2018, 11:41 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. His first year, I was actually very excited about him being our starter for many years to come. The problem is a young QB should show steady improvement from year to year and that just didn't happen with Bortles. He actually regressed. I stuck by Bortles as long as I could, waiting for him to become a really good starter, but so far, his rookie year was his best season and that just isn't good enough. It's time to bring in some new, young blood to give Bortles competition in 2018 and replace him by 2019. This team is too good to be saddled with a QB who can't improve from his rookie season.

His rookie year he threw 11 tds and 17 ints. The next year 35 tds and 18 ints. His INT% DYAR and DVOA have improved every year of his career. They improved significantly last year after the coaching change. He had a career high completion %. At this point he is around the 14 or 15th best qb. When he entered the league he was at the bottom.

My bad, it was his second year. I'll change it. The point still stands though. He still hasn't reached the status of a very good, reliable QB. I never expected him to be elite, but by now, he should've been a top 10 QB in the NFL.

His decision making in 2017 was very much improved. Very few back breaking turnovers. 20/0 touchdown to interception ratio in the red zone. By age 25 almost no quarterbacks achieve top 10 status in the league so your standards are a bit reduculous. Cousins hasn’t achieved it and he’s been in the league twice the time.

(02-08-2018, 11:50 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: His decision making in 2017 was very much improved. Very few back breaking turnovers. 20/0 touchdown to interception ratio in the red zone. By age 25 almost no quarterbacks achieve top 10 status in the league so your standards are a bit reduculous. Cousins hasn’t achieved it and he’s been in the league twice the time.

I don't consider Cousins a very good, reliable QB either.

Who are top 10 QBs in the nfl?

Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rodgers
Ryan
Rivers
Stafford
Wilson
Smith
Wentz

7 are 32 or older. Only 1 under age 29, but somehow Bortles is supposed to be top 10 by now at age 25? Quarterbacking at a high level in the NFL almost always requires tons of experience to get to that level.

Unrealistic expectations...They're not just for millennials.
[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

(02-08-2018, 11:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

No. After his second year, I was actually very excited about him being our starter for many years to come. The problem is a young QB should show steady improvement from year to year and that just didn't happen with Bortles. He actually regressed. I stuck by Bortles as long as I could, waiting for him to become a really good starter, but so far, his rookie year was his best season and that just isn't good enough. It's time to bring in some new, young blood to give Bortles competition in 2018 and replace him by 2019. This team is too good to be saddled with a QB who can't improve from his 2nd season in the league.

(02-08-2018, 11:41 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No. His first year, I was actually very excited about him being our starter for many years to come. The problem is a young QB should show steady improvement from year to year and that just didn't happen with Bortles. He actually regressed. I stuck by Bortles as long as I could, waiting for him to become a really good starter, but so far, his rookie year was his best season and that just isn't good enough. It's time to bring in some new, young blood to give Bortles competition in 2018 and replace him by 2019. This team is too good to be saddled with a QB who can't improve from his rookie season.

(02-08-2018, 11:45 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-08-2018, 11:41 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: His rookie year he threw 11 tds and 17 ints. The next year 35 tds and 18 ints. His INT% DYAR and DVOA have improved every year of his career. They improved significantly last year after the coaching change. He had a career high completion %. At this point he is around the 14 or 15th best qb. When he entered the league he was at the bottom.

My bad, it was his second year. I'll change it. The point still stands though. He still hasn't reached the status of a very good, reliable QB. I never expected him to be elite, but by now, he should've been a top 10 QB in the NFL.

(02-08-2018, 11:50 PM)jagsfan1983 Wrote: His decision making in 2017 was very much improved. Very few back breaking turnovers. 20/0 touchdown to interception ratio in the red zone. By age 25 almost no quarterbacks achieve top 10 status in the league so your standards are a bit reduculous. Cousins hasn’t achieved it and he’s been in the league twice the time.
jagsfan1983 very good points and as for you TheO-LineMatters in the famous words of Homer Simpson: Doh. Lol

(02-08-2018, 09:54 AM)SodaCityJag14 Wrote: First and foremost, if you have a quarterback that is competent at the position, you are in the minority in terms of the rest of the league. There are less than 32 human beings on this planet that can play Quarterback at a high level in the NFL in my opinion. For this reason, you must resign Blake and roll with him.

However, if we were to replace him, or even cut Henne and draft a QB who would you feel good about? Do ya'll think Kurt Cousins is better than Blake? Which rookie would you feel confident in? I have heard Lamar Jackson a bunch but I just do not feel like his skill set translates very well as an NFL QB. If we hang on to Blake is it worth a top 3 round pick for a backup/challenger? I say sign Blake, see who's left in round 3 or 4 and if there isn't a quality QB left at that point, roll with what we got.

I realize one or more of these points has likely been discussed in detail here and so if I have upset you with that, just find another thread to read! Curious to see who you guys feel confident in whether its a draft pick or a FA.

Unsure why this thread did not register with me until now, but it poses an interesting question.

I will say that if Blake is not our guy, I would be more in favor of a veteran guy than a rookie.  This team reached the AFCCG and was 2:37 from reaching the Super Bowl.  This team is young enough and talented enough to contend again, and that would most likely be accomplished with a vet, as opposed to a guy who is just learning how to study film and just learning NFL defenses.

In the above scenario, at face value, Cousins would seem to be the best option.  Statistically he has been productive in the league for quite some time.  But he is not without concern.  Aside from him winning fewer playoff games than Bortles, there is the matter of his cost, and whether his cost will make it more difficult to retain stalwarts like Ramsey, Jack, Ngakooue, Robinson and or Fowler in the future.

If that is a concern, I would make a play for Bengals' backup A.J. McCarron, who should be had far more cheaply than Cousins.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Cousins

(02-09-2018, 08:22 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Cousins

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation