Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Blake Bortles the next Justin Blackmon?

Quote:And on that same token, Blackmon would probably still be playing. Being 61, I was brought up in a time when Mickey Mantle, and Whitey Ford, Greg Luzinski, Sonny Jurgenson and countless others were known to be out all night and at times show up for games hung over or drunk and it was pretty much laughed off. I guess it's just a change in the way society views these things over the ages. Like I said, I just find it kind of fascinating.

Sure. Problem is they were still playing well. The question that keeps getting asked is what is wrong with Blake? If Blake was playing well than this probably wouldn't be a thread and it wouldn't matter as it didn't with those other players.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I myself live at Jax. Bch. We frequent the bars every so often. Mainly Hoptinger because their food is excellent, but also Casa, The Pier and the Ritz. Hell all of them, yeah I drink a lot. I have never seen BB5 at either of them.Did see Odrick at Ritz one time.

Just saying like everyone else's observations.

Say away.

Quote:[Image: WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg]

And FWIW Jim Kelly was an alcoholic and a coke head (how do you think he got sinus cancer) and he did pretty good

Yeah, but Blake isn't.

Anyways, maybe he has a drinking problem and just sucks and alcohol has nothing to do with it. Maybe his drinking problem is blown out of proportion and everyone is exaggerating. Maybe he doesn't have a drinking problem at all. Or maybe he does and it is effecting his play. Speculation is part of football.

Blackmon seemed to play pretty well, but got into legal trouble.

Taylor player well, but he thought he could have been better if he took it more seriously earlier in his career.

You know the more I think about it I'd be getting plastered if I had to listen to Gus every single day. Ending every sentence with "man".

Alcohol rarely helps you do your job better...unless you're Dean Martin or Foster Brooks, and even Dean was faking it.  I don't think most athletes would honestly tell you that getting drunk every night would help them stay at the top of thier profession.

"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Wasn't MJ hungover from drinking and gambling, during that "flu" game in his last Finals series with the Jazz?

With that said, Bortles ain't no MJ. If you are out there on Sundays throwing pick-6s , INTs, and missing your receivers, you have no business going out getting hammered during the weeknights

Quote:Wow...  I'm not even sure your argument is coherent, much less logical.

As a professional that isn't unionized, let me tell you that I don't do anything that may make me less sharp on a day I have important work to do.  Like most professionals there are days that I know will be less intense.  On those days, I may be more inclined to hang out later in the evening, or maybe even have a few drinks and pick arguments with fellow Jungle posters.

However, there is no way that I would "close down a bar" or even have a drink before a "big day".  BB5's big days are on Sunday - 16 times a year.  The guy is a professional, he should know when to blow off some steam and when he needs to get some rest for the next day's task.

Your inability to recognize this simplistic fact is typical, but still quite embarrassing...

Let me re-phrase that then.

Being a professional athlete is no different than 99% of all other professions.  A "professional" at the age of 24, especially a single male with plenty of money doesn't always make the very best decisions.

I personally have witnessed several professionals doing the same thing, and they still are capable of doing their job(s) the next day.

Am I saying that it's right or condoning it?  No.  My point is that to a professional athlete, their job isn't really much different than an average JOB.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

If weed is legalized, will sports go down the drain.

Quote:If weed is legalized, will sports go down the drain.
They will put a stipulation against athletes.  As they should.

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Maybe hoisting all those drinks from the bar has destroyed his throwing mechanics?  Reprogrammed his muscle memory?  Ha?

"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption