Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The OTTO position: Skuta & Jack

I know this isn't a primary concern given the situation of the team but: In London Jack played there because Skuta was injured.

When Skuta came back in Chicago they splitted snaps quite equally (these numbers don't include special teams snaps): 15 snaps for Jack, 14 for Skuta. (1 tackle for Jack, 0 for Skuta)

Yesterday against Oakland Skuta played 17 snaps while Jack only 8. (1 tackle each).

Bradley a couple of weeks ago and last week said while Jack would have been the starter (starter who plays half the snaps of the other player LOL) they'd have splitted snaps at the position because one can be more useful than the other in different situations.

What difference did you notice in how they use them?Because the OTTO mainly plays the run and covers the flats and i've seen them both doing  pretty much the same thing. Skuta should be more of a pass rusher but I rarely remember him blitzing or rushing the passer. 

And as most of the time they get off the field right on 2nd down as they go nickel (Colvin played around 40 snaps in fact) it's not really a "keep them both fresh" issue

Are they using Jack & Skuta differently or it's a sort of "excuse" to just give some playing time to both without having to take a decision? (I still find it crazy that Skuta gets twice playing time than Jack yesterday although I don't know if he lined up at LEO sometimes)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's so the media/fans arent on his butt about it. Aka he's trying to save his job and the causal fan see's that he's starting and think wooooo and therefore don't complain. However,people like us can see that it's BS.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 03:41 PM by irontrooper83.)

Quote:It's so the media/fans arent on his butt about it. Aka he's trying to save his job and the causal fan see's that he's starting and think wooooo and therefore don't complain. However,people like us can see that it's [BAD WORD REMOVED].
It looks like that to me as well honestly but wanted to check if anyone noticed anything different. Seems like we are on the same page about it. Smile

So sick of these stupid position names... Put the best players on the field for good lords sake

Splitted snaps.

Huh

Another reason as to why this coaching staff is garbage. They just don't know how to utilize talented players. If it wasn't for Ramsey being so unreal good, he would probably look like trash too.

I bet Schwartz would love to have the players the Jags have on this defense.

Part of why this happen was a great game plan by the Chargers. Remember how they would consistently name an extra offensive lineman as an extra blocker (79 or 73) but than say he was an eligible receiver. That would force the Jags into a bigger front with Jack off the field. They would then run a few plays hurry up, forcing the Jags to maintain that roster on the field. The Jags couldn't counter the extra OL all game, so it basically won the game for the Raiders.

The rotation builds poise. So I heard.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 06:25 PM by Eric1.)

It's really rather pathetic, in my opinion.

They talk about wanting to make sure Jack learns the position first. Well the only way he's actually going to learn the position is by playing it in game. Practicing it is great, but sitting on the side line during the game while Skuta gets the live reps wont teach him much.

Sure Jack is going to make mistakes, but that's how he's going to learn what to correct and do right next time. Skuta is, what he is. He isn't going to get any better. Jack can only get better. This has to be the biggest head scratcher of them all and there's a lot of them.

Put the kid on the field and let him get every rep in practice and every game rep. The OTTO only plays like 20-30% of the time anyways, but Jack should be the one on the field every time the OTTO is out there.

I flat out can't wrap my head around this. The only thing I can think of, is that Gus and Skuta are drinking buddies or something.