Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
September 13, 1998 - Chiefs at Jaguars

Still digitizing the occasional old VHS tape.  This game was an ugly victory in which the Chiefs D was awesome but their offense kept turning it over.  KC had Rich Gannon and Tony Gonzales.  Reggie Barlow and Tavian Banks had big kick returns.  Banks and Fred Taylor had some of their first career rushing attempts, but James Stewart was the starter.  The best show of the day was Tony Boselli vs Derrick Thomas.  Boselli threw Thomas all over the field.  Boselli also got a couple of penalties, one for fighting (offsetting), the other for being too far downfield because at the snap, he tossed the DE to the ground so fast he had nobody to block, so he went downfield and found himself a linebacker to toy with. 

The 1998 season is largely overshadowed by the 96 and 99 seasons, but this was a very good Jaguar team.  Dave Thomas, Aaron Beasley, Chris Hudson and rookie Donovin Darius were laying the lumber in the secondary.  DEs Brackens and Lageman were both out for this game.  Hollis missed 2 FGs but it didn't cost us.  The weather was exceedingly hot and the game took forever with several long stoppages for injury.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 09:53 AM by MoJagFan.)

Didn't we beat New England at home in the wild card round of the playoffs that season?

Bing:
And yes that is the season we had the Wild Card at home.  I remember sitting up in the obstructed view seats for that one.  Ah the loss in New York the following week was disappointing.  That was an interesting season because the 11-5 record didn't feel as satisfying as the 9-6 season.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Do you have every game on tape or DVD?
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018, 08:32 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-05-2018, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Didn't we beat New England at home in the wild card round of the playoffs that season?

Bing:
And yes that is the season we had the Wild Card at home.  I remember sitting up in the obstructed view seats for that one.  Ah the loss in New York the following week was disappointing.  That was an interesting season because the 11-5 record didn't feel as satisfying as the 9-6 season.

Perhaps the most satisfying thing about the 9-6 season, as you noted above, may have been the fact that we made the playoffs even though we played one less game than the rest of the league.

(03-05-2018, 09:51 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Didn't we beat New England at home in the wild card round of the playoffs that season?

Bing:

Bing sucks !!

(03-05-2018, 10:26 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: Do you have every game on tape or DVD?

No, but I have all the playoff games and at least 2 or 3 games from each of the early seasons.  VHS quality was often spotty, though.  Later games I captured in better quality but I often immediately deleted them because we stunk so bad I knew I'd never re-watch.  I do have most of the wins from the last 10+ years in good quality.  I've been enjoying the 2005-2007 era recently.  Those teams took no prisoners and the D had a swagger, but nothing like the 2017 swagger.

Was this the game Jimmy caught a slant and went like 74 yards? Which was then a franchise record.

(03-06-2018, 12:37 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Was this the game Jimmy caught a slant and went like 74 yards? Which was then a franchise record.

No, these were the 3 Jag scores:

Reggie Barlow 85 punt return (Mike Hollis Kick)

Jimmy Smith 17 pass from Mark Brunell (Mike Hollis Kick)

James Stewart 1 run (Mike Hollis Kick)

(03-05-2018, 08:32 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Bing:

Perhaps the most satisfying thing about the 9-6 season, as you noted above, may have been the fact that we made the playoffs even though we played one less game than the rest of the league.

Bing:

Bing sucks !!

Hahahah yeah 9-7 not 9-6 and no bing doesn't suck.  At least it is an alternative to the evil that is Google.  Ah who am I kidding all the tech companies are spying on us.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(03-07-2018, 10:33 AM)Byron LeftTown Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 12:37 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Was this the game Jimmy caught a slant and went like 74 yards? Which was then a franchise record.

No, these were the 3 Jag scores:

Reggie Barlow 85 punt return (Mike Hollis Kick)

Jimmy Smith 17 pass from Mark Brunell (Mike Hollis Kick)

James Stewart 1 run (Mike Hollis Kick)

The Jimmy Smith slant that I'm talking about was not a score. He was caught from behind. I think Stewart ran in from the 1 or 2 yard line.