Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Antonio Callaway

Hey guys, I want to introduce myself. I'm a long time reader, and this is my first post! I can't wait to see what the Jags end up doing in free agency and the Draft.

I wanted to bring up the idea of drafting Antonio Callaway. As a Gator fan, I have seen him make some head-turning plays, and he is an exceptional talent. Obviously, he has some off the field issues that he needs to work on but do you believe the Jags front office will take a chance on him the same way they did with Dede Westbrook? Callaway had a great combine, and he may have turned a corner maturity wise.

If Allen Robinson doesn't come back (and I hope he does), would you be ok taking him in one of the later rounds? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks and Go Jags!
[Image: 1bB0DS7.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-05-2018, 03:46 PM)JagsFan532 Wrote: Hey guys, I want to introduce myself. I'm a long time reader, and this is my first post! I can't wait to see what the Jags end up doing in free agency and the Draft.

I wanted to bring up the idea of drafting Antonio Callaway. As a Gator fan, I have seen him make some head-turning plays, and he is an exceptional talent. Obviously, he has some off the field issues that he needs to work on but do you believe the Jags front office will take a chance on him the same way they did with Dede Westbrook? Callaway had a great combine, and he may have turned a corner maturity wise.

If Allen Robinson doesn't come back (and I hope he does), would you be ok taking him in one of the later rounds? I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks and Go Jags!

First, welcome to posting!  Hopefully we'll hear more from you.

I don't know too much of him, TBH.  I heard Frangie on the radio the other day and the player comparison he gave was Percy Harvin.

Assuming such a comparison is accurate, such speed and explosiveness would be welcome, IMO.

But I would have some misgivings.

He strikes me as a smaller guy....a slot guy.  I think we have enough guys like that.  If Robinson leaves, we won't have the big, physical guy.

I am also curious as to why you think "he may have turned a corner maturity wise."

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

The kid has a ton of talent, but I don't trust him. His off the field issues are pretty serious and there are many of them. I'm all for giving a guy a second chance for non-violent offenses, but this kid keeps making poor life decisions. IMO, he's too much of a risk.

Top 3 receiver talent wise but the off the field stuff is very very bad. I'd take a punt on him in the 4th onwards.

(03-05-2018, 03:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-05-2018, 03:46 PM)JagsFan532 Wrote: Hey guys, I want to introduce myself. I'm a long time reader, and this is my first post! I can't wait to see what the Jags end up doing in free agency and the Draft.

First, welcome to posting!  Hopefully we'll hear more from you.

I don't know too much of him, TBH.  I heard Frangie on the radio the other day and the player comparison he gave was Percy Harvin.

Assuming such a comparison is accurate, such speed and explosiveness would be welcome, IMO.

But I would have some misgivings.

He strikes me as a smaller guy....a slot guy.  I think we have enough guys like that.  If Robinson leaves, we won't have the big, physical guy.

I am also curious as to why you think "he may have turned a corner maturity wise."

Thanks so much for your reply! Your point about the team already has too many smaller receivers is accurate. I do believe, however, having he and Westbrook on the field could be similar to how the Giants have thrived with Sterling Sheppard and Odell Beckham. Now that isn't saying our guys will be anywhere as good as those two, but their playing styles are similar.

Callaway impacted a lot of games at Florida, and I think he will thrive in the NFL, he just needs to get out of his own way when he gets off the field.

And I misphrased when I said he may have turned a corner maturity wise. I meant more along the lines of "maybe he turned a corner." Just purely speculation on my part since he had an entire year off. My mistake!
[Image: 1bB0DS7.png]

Westbrook and Callaway on the field excites me.

Westbrook and Callaway off the field terrifies me.

If they go with a small receiver, I hope it's DJ Moore.

I said in another thread I think our team has enough veteran presence now to take a shot on “questionable character” guys. Westbrook being a prime example. We didn’t hear a peep about an off field transgression this season on him. He’s one or those guys I would absolutely take a shot on in the 4th round.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We already have Westbrook for an undersized, laterally athletically limited, deep threat. I don't dislike him but he's kind of redundant to what we have. I'd be looking at a different type if we went WR.

It might depend which round he’s available in. If we can take him as a mid-round pick (like Westbrook) then the risk might be worth the reward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to this again... where do you stand with his “off field issues” compared to a guy like Joe Mixon? Tyreek Hill?

Do they make him undraftable?

Biggest problem for me, is that while they might be no worse on their own, it seems to be a pattern of behaviour and a series of bad decisions. And the fear is that he will continue to make them in the NFL...

Or do you think he could be turned around?

I'd take my chances on Callaway as a late 2nd or 3rd round pick --- He's a freakish athlete and I think having people like Telvin and Jalen around will help him focus on his career and winning.

(03-05-2018, 04:16 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Westbrook and Callaway on the field excites me.

Westbrook and Callaway off the field terrifies me.

From the stories I read Westbrook had baby momma drama, nothing physical just a crazy old lady that used the kid against him and wouldn't let him see em. Don't know if the article was one sided put the coaches spoke really highly of Westbrook. Callaway on the other hand is a completely different story. His coach told him that he pretty much wasn't welcomed back. I wouldn't touch him.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2018, 02:08 PM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

Does the University of Florida condone him using their name as a reference? 

As a Gator fan you can appreciate the University of Florida kicked him off the team for good. After all the shame Aaron Hernandez brought to Gainesville, shouldn't Callaway getting kicked off the team mean something to you?

He's too much of a headache to deal with.

(This post was last modified: 03-20-2018, 09:47 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(03-13-2018, 02:06 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:

Does the University of Florida condone him using their name as a reference? 

As a Gator fan you can appreciate the University of Florida kicked him off the team for good. After all the shame Aaron Hernandez brought to Gainesville, shouldn't Callaway getting kicked off the team mean something to you?

He's too much of a headache to deal with.

Dude, it's not like he stole crab legs or anything.

Dede Westbrook was a Biletnikoff award winner who was available in the 4th round.

Antonio Callaway seems pretty talented, but I wouldn't take him before the 5th round. Given his track record, if you give him a bunch of money, there's a good chance he bombs out of the league.

This might have been mentioned before, but thought this was an interesting line from the nfl website.

“School officials privately have told southeastern teams not to draft Callaway because he needs to get as far from the South Florida area as possible -- similar to what teams heard about fellow Miami native Dalvin Cook a year ago.”

That would seem to be another nail in the coffin of any idea that we might draft him...

(03-12-2018, 03:01 PM)Andy G Wrote: Back to this again... where do you stand with his “off field issues” compared to a guy like Joe Mixon? Tyreek Hill?

Do they make him undraftable?

Biggest problem for me, is that while they might be no worse on their own, it seems to be a pattern of behaviour and a series of bad decisions. And the fear is that he will continue to make them in the NFL...

Or do you think he could be turned around?

IMO, yes. I would not draft them. Very few people like that actually change. They just get richer and if they are a smart "scumbag", they hire "fixers" to take care of the problems before anyone finds out. If they are not so smart, they continue the behavior publicly and get run out of the league. There are way more "not so smart" "scumbag" players who do these things than there are smart ones.