Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags reportedly met w/ Washington's Dante Pettis

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Man I wish he was able to work. I'm curious what he's 40 would be, his agility looks top notch though.

He's the same type of receiver as we have now.

Interesting but I don't think the idea would be to bring him in here for receiving duties. If anything it's for his ability on special teams. He's the Pac-12's all-time leader in punt returns for TD's now with nine over DeSean Jackson's previous record with eight. That's great company. Could end up landing him on day three of the draft.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-11-2018, 05:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Interesting but I don't think the idea would be to bring him in here for receiving duties. If anything it's for his ability on special teams. He's the Pac-12's all-time leader in punt returns for TD's now with nine over DeSean Jackson's previous record with eight. That's great company. Could end up landing him on day three of the draft.

I don't believe in wasting draft picks on special teams players. That's why you have scouts, to find good special teams players as UDFA's.

Washington receivers tend to suck.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(03-11-2018, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 05:54 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Interesting but I don't think the idea would be to bring him in here for receiving duties. If anything it's for his ability on special teams. He's the Pac-12's all-time leader in punt returns for TD's now with nine over DeSean Jackson's previous record with eight. That's great company. Could end up landing him on day three of the draft.

I don't believe in wasting draft picks on special teams players. That's why you have scouts, to find good special teams players as UDFA's.

It's to cheaper to draft wrs than to pay them so I like the idea of bringing in a guy with elite punt return ability who is comparable to guys we have. Plus it looks like we're losing two starters so we need to add competition to that position. He fills to roles with one player.

(03-11-2018, 04:32 PM)texasjag22 Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 10:20 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I don't believe in wasting draft picks on special teams players. That's why you have scouts, to find good special teams players as UDFA's.

It's to cheaper to draft wrs than to pay them so I like the idea of bringing in a guy with elite punt return ability who is comparable to guys we have. Plus it looks like we're losing two starters so we need to add competition to that position. He fills to roles with one player.

I wouldn't want to pay any of the FA's in this class. They are all washed up. I just want to draft a tall, athletic receiver who can win some jump balls. We have WR's with comparable skill sets to Pettis. We need bigger, red zone targets.

(03-11-2018, 05:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 04:32 PM)texasjag22 Wrote: It's to cheaper to draft wrs than to pay them so I like the idea of bringing in a guy with elite punt return ability who is comparable to guys we have. Plus it looks like we're losing two starters so we need to add competition to that position. He fills to roles with one player.

I wouldn't want to pay any of the FA's in this class. They are all washed up. I just want to draft a tall, athletic receiver who can win some jump balls. We have WR's with comparable skill sets to Pettis. We need bigger, red zone targets.

Which jump ball guys are you interested in? Bc this class doesn't have much there. I still like St. Brown the most out of that group.

(This post was last modified: 03-11-2018, 08:30 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-11-2018, 05:51 PM)texasjag22 Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 05:26 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I wouldn't want to pay any of the FA's in this class. They are all washed up. I just want to draft a tall, athletic receiver who can win some jump balls. We have WR's with comparable skill sets to Pettis. We need bigger, red zone targets.

Which jump ball guys are you interested in? Bc this class doesn't have much there. I still like St. Brown the most out of that group.

The guy I would target is Tre'Quan Smith of UCF. He's 6'2" with 4.5 speed, 33 3/8" arms and a 37.5" vertical. He's a big play receiver who averaged 19.8 yards per catch last year with 13 receiving touchdowns. IMO, he would be the perfect replacement for ARob. I would target him with our 4th round pick.

Pettis is awesome. Freak athlete and one of the best route runners in the class. Historically good returner which speaks to his YAC ability. Limited by Browning at Washington.

Not really a fan of taking a WR in the 1/2/3 rounds but if it has to be one Pettis is a quality choice.

Jaguars sighted as a team who met with washingtons dante pettis..

I guess that means someone saw them talking.......

I forget where but I read that every single team met with him.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I'd like him at Jacksonville.. I can't say I'll get excited on the prospect of it until I see him holding up the Jags jersey, though.
[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

(03-11-2018, 06:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 05:51 PM)texasjag22 Wrote: Which jump ball guys are you interested in? Bc this class doesn't have much there. I still like St. Brown the most out of that group.

The guy I would target is Tre'Quan Smith of UCF. He's 6'2" with 4.5 speed, 33 3/8" arms and a 37.5" vertical. He's a big play receiver who averaged 19.8 yards per catch last year with 13 receiving touchdowns. IMO, he would be the perfect replacement for ARob. I would target him with our 4th round pick. 

I like him a lot on day 3. I just have a feeling wr is addressed on day 2 though. I'm still hoping for Wynn, Hernandez, or Daniels in the first.

Is there some reason he did not work out at the NFL Combine?

I fail to see ANYTHING in his mash-ups that would indicate he is a viable candidate to be an NFL prime receiver. I watched four different ones, and there is nothing on video to suggest he was much of a play-maker in his own college formations. His own QB rarely looked his way. The only action he gets manages to be unimpressive. He ran a route short of the first down line. HE took a screen pass two yards shy of the goal line and ran straight out of bounds at the two yard line. 

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Yeah, he returned a punt for a TD....but AFTER he fumbled the punt reception.

(03-13-2018, 01:08 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Is there some reason he did not work out at the NFL Combine?

I fail to see ANYTHING in his mash-ups that would indicate he is a viable candidate to be an NFL prime receiver. I watched four different ones, and there is nothing on video to suggest he was much of a play-maker in his own college formations. His own QB rarely looked his way. The only action he gets manages to be unimpressive. He ran a route short of the first down line. HE took a screen pass two yards shy of the goal line and ran straight out of bounds at the two yard line. 

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Yeah, he returned a punt for a TD....but AFTER he fumbled the punt reception.

Injury

(03-12-2018, 01:59 PM)texasjag22 Wrote:
(03-11-2018, 06:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: The guy I would target is Tre'Quan Smith of UCF. He's 6'2" with 4.5 speed, 33 3/8" arms and a 37.5" vertical. He's a big play receiver who averaged 19.8 yards per catch last year with 13 receiving touchdowns. IMO, he would be the perfect replacement for ARob. I would target him with our 4th round pick. 

I like him a lot on day 3. I just have a feeling wr is addressed on day 2 though. I'm still hoping for Wynn, Hernandez, or Daniels in the first.

Daniels would be a great fit for a team like the Patriots that relies on pass protection, but he's not really a fit for a running team.
'02