Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars Oline size

Cam Robinson 6'6 320
Andrew Norwell 6'6 325
Brandon Linder 6'6 315
Jeremy Parnell 6'6 325  

Nobody wants to face that line. 

I'd imagine a mauler like Braden Smith from Auburn makes a lot of sense for us. He's 6'6 305, played RT this past year and can play inside too. He's a Linder clone.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2018, 11:29 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Unless we are in love with a QB I still think we draft Hernandez if they feel he is a good fit at RG, if he is there of course

With the addition of Hernandez I think we would have the potential to have the best online in the league. Or the addition of Ragnow

(03-14-2018, 11:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Unless we are in love with a QB I still think we draft Hernandez if they feel he is a good fit at RG, if he is there of course

Yeah if he's there no doubt.  Braden will possibly make it to our 2nd rounder if not. Could potentially move out to RT once Parnell goes.

(03-14-2018, 11:28 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Unless we are in love with a QB I still think we draft Hernandez if they feel he is a good fit at RG, if he is there of course

With the addition of Hernandez I think we would have the potential to have the best online in the league.  Or the addition of  Ragnow

I don't think we have the remotest idea whom we will draft.   We are so far down in the draft order, and so many things can happen between the first pick and the 29th pick.  

But if I was going to guess, I would think we would pick the best player available between CB, WR, TE, and OL.   Heck, we might even pick a DL, since we have so much money tied up in that spot, and we might have to cut some salaries next year.   We might even pick a pass rusher, since Fowler is going into his contract year, and we will be up against the salary cap next year.

Cann doesnt mesh with this line.

(03-15-2018, 07:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

With the addition of Hernandez I think we would have the potential to have the best online in the league.  Or the addition of  Ragnow

I don't think we have the remotest idea whom we will draft.   We are so far down in the draft order, and so many things can happen between the first pick and the 29th pick.  

But if I was going to guess, I would think we would pick the best player available between CB, WR, TE, and OL.   Heck, we might even pick a DL, since we have so much money tied up in that spot, and we might have to cut some salaries next year.   We might even pick a pass rusher, since Fowler is going into his contract year, and we will be up against the salary cap next year.

Sure would like to see Smoot take a step forward to be able to replace Fowler.

(03-15-2018, 08:15 AM)brianmsbc Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 07:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't think we have the remotest idea whom we will draft.   We are so far down in the draft order, and so many things can happen between the first pick and the 29th pick.  

Sure would like to see Smoot take a step forward to be able to replace Fowler.

Smoot is a different type of player.  I think he's more of a big end, like Campbell.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018, 08:47 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Keep an eye on this name, Colby Gossett, RG/RT, Appalachian State. He's 6'5" 311 lbs. He ran a 5.20/40 and put up 32 reps at the Combine and was a First Team All Sun Belt pick with 46 consecutive starts. He is an excellent run blocker and didn't give up a sack in 2017. He looked very good at the Senior Bowl and would be an excellent target in that 3rd/4th round area.

(03-15-2018, 08:46 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Keep an eye on this name, Colby Gossett, RG/RT, Appalachian State. He's 6'5" 311 lbs. He ran a 5.20/40 and put up 32 reps at the Combine and was a First Team All Sun Belt pick with 46 consecutive starts. He is an excellent run blocker and didn't give up a sack in 2017. He looked very good at the Senior Bowl and would be an excellent target in that 3rd/4th round area.

I haven't seen him but this sounds good from what you are saying

(03-15-2018, 07:44 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Cann doesnt mesh with this line.

Two ways to do it. Either find OGs that fit the offensive system you have, or style your offense around what OGs you have. 

Ideally, the NFL OG is 6' 3", 300 Lbs. 

Good offensive coordinators identify the strengths and weaknesses of each OG. Some pull and trap really well, while others carry exceptional girth making it almost impossible for defensive linemen to pick up and carry back to the quarterback. Athletic OGs tend to have problems with pass protection, but they usually are aided by the fact that you have superior numbers inside. He can get help when he needs it. 

All OGs have to have stability and power, but they also need body balance to move their bodies. They trap, pull to lead sweeps, run through holes, come inside-out on blitzing LBs, etc. 

Effectively running the football requires practice, coordination, and a real driven desire to be the best.

It's easy for the booze hounds in the local media to stampede a bunch of ignorant fans into a frenzy. Typically, this ends up with un-knowledgeable fans taking pop shots at our offensive line personnel. Why should this year be any different?

It's much harder to understand how an offensive line works. 

Great teams never have a problem with a bunch of defenders stuffed in a box. You drill and you drill. You practice over and over and over. To a man, each member of the offense knows the defensive personnel across the line, and they are well prepared to execute the offensive play book flawlessly. 

It's more fitting for fans to ask what are the goals of Doug Marrone? What are the Jaguars trying to achieve? Why didn't we trap block there? Why didn't we pull A. J. Cann? Where's the execution?

(03-15-2018, 08:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 08:15 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: Sure would like to see Smoot take a step forward to be able to replace Fowler.

Smoot is a different type of player.  I think he's more of a big end, like Campbell.

Smoot ?  Are you seriously comparing the 6'3" - 250 pound Smoot to the 6'8" - 300 pound Calais Campbell?

Talk about beef lol

They literally have built a wall on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Fournette will have many gaps to run through

(03-15-2018, 08:58 AM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 07:44 AM)BklynJag Wrote: Cann doesnt mesh with this line.

It's easy for the booze hounds in the local media to stampede a bunch of ignorant fans into a frenzy. Typically, this ends up with un-knowledgeable fans taking pop shots at our offensive line personnel. Why should this year be any different?

It's much harder to understand how an offensive line works. 

It's not hard to see Cann allowing penetration into the backfield on run plays. I think we can all understand that is bad. 

You know, like, if you just watch the football games.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2018, 01:23 PM by knarnn.)

(03-15-2018, 09:07 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 08:33 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Smoot is a different type of player.  I think he's more of a big end, like Campbell.

Smoot ?  Are you seriously comparing the 6'3" - 250 pound Smoot to the 6'8" - 300 pound Calais Campbell?

Smoot will be replacing Campbell in the near future. I'm not sure why people think he's a rush end. HE'S NOT.

Quote: After the Jaguars met with the media following the pick, we have a better idea why. The team envisions Smoot as a backup at strongside end to veteran free agent signing Calais Campbell.

"This guy can power-rush you, but he can also play inside in passing situations and you saw him do that at Illinois," Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell told Ryan O'Halloran of The Florida Times-Union on Friday evening.

"I feel very excited," Smoot told reporters in a conference call shortly after he was selected by the Jaguars in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft. "I'm ready to learn and I am ready to work as hard as I can for the team."

The Jaguars indicated they would like Smoot to add some weight at the next level, he confirmed at Illinois he regularly played around the 265-270-pound range.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/4/29/...t-left-end
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(03-15-2018, 01:22 PM)knarnn Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 09:07 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Smoot ?  Are you seriously comparing the 6'3" - 250 pound Smoot to the 6'8" - 300 pound Calais Campbell?

Smoot will be replacing Campbell in the near future. I'm not sure why people think he's a rush end. HE'S NOT.

Quote: After the Jaguars met with the media following the pick, we have a better idea why. The team envisions Smoot as a backup at strongside end to veteran free agent signing Calais Campbell.

"This guy can power-rush you, but he can also play inside in passing situations and you saw him do that at Illinois," Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell told Ryan O'Halloran of The Florida Times-Union on Friday evening.

"I feel very excited," Smoot told reporters in a conference call shortly after he was selected by the Jaguars in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft. "I'm ready to learn and I am ready to work as hard as I can for the team."

The Jaguars indicated they would like Smoot to add some weight at the next level, he confirmed at Illinois he regularly played around the 265-270-pound range.

https://www.bigcatcountry.com/2017/4/29/...t-left-end

I would love to know what that guy weighs now. Ain't no way he's 250.
I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!