Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars draft Cam Robinson

Quote:He didnt bring it up, it was a question someone specifically asked...someone asked if drafting Robinson had anything to do with Albert holding out and he said no and then continued to say they arent worried about the voluntary stuff and they believe he will show up when the mandatory stuff starts and that they want to rotate the DL often so they are all fresh at all times, which I take as meaning that both men will see a lot of playing time at LT
Caldwell had a certain look and tone when he said that. Its definitely a message to Albert. Caldwell is pissed but I see Robinson playing RT or G when regaular season starts.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The goal will be to get the best 5 linemen on the field at the same time. That will include Robinson at guard for a year or 2.

Quote:The goal will be to get the best 5 linemen on the field at the same time. That will include Robinson at guard for a year or 2.
well you better tell Caldwell, Coughlin, and Marrone, because they don't think he's gonna play anything but LT

Quote:well you better tell Caldwell, Coughlin, and Marrone, because they don't think he's gonna play anything but LT

I texted them this morning to let them know.

It's "coach-speak", clear message to Albert that he needs to come in in shape and ready to compete. If not he will be riding the pine.

I still want a guard though in round 4.

Makes me ponder. Beachum must have been some kinda of terribad? TC must have really been disgusted with his tape? Or something else maybe. Seemed like a stand up guy that fared well a year following a ACL injury.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2017, 10:36 AM by wrong_box.)

Quote:I texted them this morning to let them know.

It's "coach-speak", clear message to Albert that he needs to come in in shape and ready to compete. If not he will be riding the pine.

I still want a guard though in round 4.
Robinson is the future at LT Albert is a stop gap for right now...Albert is already old and injury prone, Robinson is the long term answer to LT...Caldwell insisted that he will play LT and it's nice that he has the skill set to play guard but he is going to play LT 

Quote:Makes me ponder. Beachum must have been some kinda of terribad? TC must have really been disgusted with his tape? Or something else maybe. Seemed like a stand up guy that fared well a year following a ACL injury.
If I remember correctly Beechum towards the end of the year was having a sore and swollen knee, and that makes me wonder if they thought he was going to have problems so they let him walk

Quote:Robinson is the future at LT Albert is a stop gap for right now...Albert is already old and injury prone, Robinson is the long term answer to LT...Caldwell insisted that he will play LT and it's nice that he has the skill set to play guard but he is going to play LT and that the DL will be heavily rotated

Yes Albert is a stop gap. Robinson can/should play guard until the time comes for him to kick outside.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2017, 10:35 AM by wrong_box.)

Quote:Yes Albert is a stop gap. Robinson can/should play guard until the time comes for him to kick outside.

I get it we need a guard, but I dont want to be position swapping either...Id rather have a player who plays 1 position very well than a player who plays 2 or 3 decent...

Quote:i agree with you on most of this. However i dont think that cam was brought in to put pressure or be a contingency for Albert. I think its the other way around. Albert was a contingency for them missing a oline in the draft. i dont think you draft guys to put pressureon 32 y/o guys with a 2nd round pick. 

We now have two guys who can play inside and out and want to compete for LT. If cam becomes what they believe he will be, great, we have a LT for the next 10 years. If not we have a decent stop gap till we find one. Either way i doubt either will spend time on the bench once the season starts.
Well that wasn't my point. Of course they didnt draft Robinson that high just to spite Albert. My point I was trying to make was if you watched Dave Caldwell's presser, he kept emphasizing Robinson will be a LT, best player will start, then ended it with Albert will never get a new deal. I think all of that was a message to Albert, of course his agent was watching and aware of the situation. 

I think by drafting a O Linemen, and with the current situation will Albert, they are digging their feet in the sand and wont budge on Alberts demands. This move, while a move for the Jaguars future with our without Albert, gives the Jaguars all the leverage over Alberts contract demands. 

Albert needs to show up, or ship out. Either way, the Jaguars dont care because they are not going to be giving him a new deal. Brandon Albert and Cam Robinson will compete for the LT spot, whoever loses in my eyes gets kicked out to guard. 

Quote:Well that wasn't my point. Of course they didnt draft Robinson that high just to spite Albert. My point I was trying to make was if you watched Dave Caldwell's presser, he kept emphasizing Robinson will be a LT, best player will start, then ended it with Albert will never get a new deal. I think all of that was a message to Albert, of course his agent was watching and aware of the situation. 

I think by drafting a O Linemen, and with the current situation will Albert, they are digging their feet in the sand and wont budge on Alberts demands. This move, while a move for the Jaguars future with our without Albert, gives the Jaguars all the leverage over Alberts contract demands. 

Albert needs to show up, or ship out. Either way, the Jaguars dont care because they are not going to be giving him a new deal. Brandon Albert and Cam Robinson will compete for the LT spot, whoever loses in my eyes gets kicked out to guard. 
I agree with everything except the red part...They way Caldwell stressed that Robinson will play LT, and only LT

Quote:I get it we need a guard, but I dont want to be position swapping either...Id rather have a player who plays 1 position very well than a player who plays 2 or 3 decent...

It's very common for tackles to play a year of guard before going outside. It doesn't hinder development, it promotes it.

We don't rotate OL so if Robinson is strictly a back up tackle, he won't be gaining any signicificant playing experience.

It is best to get him on the field, get used to the speed/offense/preparation so when he goes outside, he is ready.

Quote:I disagree. LT is still more important than Guard. Joeckel is proof.

I believe I said that.Drafting a tackle was more important than guard.Making Cam a great choice

I love the pick tbh. I wonder if Parnell has any position flexibility. I think Cam is good enough to start at right tackle right now.

Quote:It's very common for tackles to play a year of guard before going outside. It doesn't hinder development, it promotes it.

We don't rotate OL so if Robinson is strictly a back up tackle, he won't be gaining any signicificant playing experience.

It is best to get him on the field, get used to the speed/offense/preparation so when he goes outside, he is ready.
Its also best for him to be on the field in the position he's going to be playing rather than getting him acclimated to one position and then moving him to another 

Quote:I love the pick tbh. I wonder if Parnell has any position flexibility. I think Cam is good enough to start at right tackle right now.

I don't get the obsession with moving the LT we drafted to RT.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Since D. Johnson appears to be falling due to medical issues, I wonder if they are hoping to nab him in the 5th/7th or UDFA?

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

Quote:Since D. Johnson appears to be falling due to medical issues, I wonder if they are hoping to nab him in the 5th/7th or UDFA?

What are his issues?

I'm not buying the LT and only LT stuff.

'02

Listening to Caldwell now...

I've heard "chance to eventually start at tackle" and "he'll compete with Albert for LT"

later...

"...he should eventually be a big, massive tackle on the left side of the line."

and "he could be a left tackle for us"

...a lot of this "compete" and "eventual" talk regarding the LT spot, but nothing stating he'll start at LT as a rookie.

at the very end a reporter asks him specifically if Cam will start day one at LT, and Caldwell merely said, "we'll start the best player there."

'02