Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Select Taven Bryant

I'm good with the pick. Risky but could turn into a gem of one in a year or two. I guess we'll see. With no glaring needs, this draft will continue like this most likely.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2018, 08:01 AM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: It was a good pick. Our inside linemen are relatively old and will eventually need successors. We had to look to the future.

Exactly, and I think NYC added the fact that Malik would be an $11m cap hit next year so Taven should slide into that spot and save us tons of cap room.

Drafting like you're only 1 player away could ultimately sacrifice the future; especially if the pick does not pan out (see Derrick Harvey who we previously traded up to draft in round 1 after we beat the Steelers in the playoffs)

(04-27-2018, 10:44 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 10:39 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: I know he isn't better than Malik or Marcel.  At this point in time he's probably not better than Abry.  Who knows with Bennett since he was injured.  If you asked for my opinion, I think Bryan whould have a Bennett like impact in his 1st year.

You don't think that 2019 impact is a much bigger factor here given the cap situation?  

If Cough-Well are right about him - he will influence the release or re-structure of D-Line players that are costing the Jags too much money and may prevent them from re-signing young talent like Ramsey and Ngakoue.

I am sure that is exactly what they have in mind. The problem is that you already have decent depth at the position which means you have to either jettison the depth or get rid of the large contracts now.

Another problem is that the person that he is supposed to replace is also good, young talent. He just turned 28 after the season and went to the Pro Bowl and has 4 years remaining on his contract at a relatively flat cap hit.

I don't agree on the player, but if Malik was in his 30's, underperforming his contract, or at the end of the contract, I could understand the position pick.

So in two years our starting 3 tech would be turning 30?

Three seasons from now our 3 tech will be playing as a 30 year old. Campbell is the only older player on the d line. Everyone else is 28 or younger. Malik is only two years removed from his rookie contract and apparently he is an old man now. We need to draft a replacement for old man AJ Bouye next season because he will be the same age as Malik is now.

The other consideration here (regarding Bryan replacing a big contract) is that the Jags could intend to use a rotation of Bryan and Smoot to replace Campbell in 2019.

While Bryan is more of a 3 tech, both Coughlin and Caldwell referenced him "rotating outside" or "big end" respectively.

(04-27-2018, 11:06 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Three seasons from now our 3 tech will be playing as a 30 year old.  Campbell is the only older player on the d line.  Everyone else is 28 or younger.  Malik is only two years removed from his rookie contract and apparently he is an old man now.  We need to draft a replacement for old man AJ Bouye next season because he will be the same age as Malik is now.

That's actually not as off the mark as you make it sound.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Why bother giving any player a contract then if they will be too old and need replaced just two years into their 1st contract? When did 27 or 28 become too old to play?

https://twitter.com/ashlynrsullivan/stat...15232?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(04-27-2018, 11:15 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Why bother giving any player a contract then if they will be too old and need replaced just two years into their 1st contract?  When did 27 or 28 become too old to play?

You are confusing separate issues here. 

Malik Jackson is not too old to play well for 3 or 4 more years. He simply costs too damn much.  Same with Dareus. 
The Jags likely value Ramsey and Ngakoue's 2nd contracts more than the final years of those guys' deals. 

Campbell on the other hand will begin to decline in the coming years unless he is some crazy outlier percentile example of beating father time. (he already is really) 

Two separate issues  - either of which could indeed be aided by the Bryan acquisition.

https://twitter.com/jaguars/status/98982...35175?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(04-27-2018, 11:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 11:15 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Why bother giving any player a contract then if they will be too old and need replaced just two years into their 1st contract?  When did 27 or 28 become too old to play?

Malik Jackson is not too old to play well for 3 or 4 more years. He simply costs too damn much.  Same with Dareus. 
The Jags likely value Ramsey and Ngakoue's 2nd contracts more than the final years of those guys' deals. 

Campbell on the other hand will begin to decline in the coming years unless he is some crazy outlier percentile example of beating father time. (he already is really) 

Two separate issues  - either of which could indeed be aided by the Bryan acquisition.

And on the CB side... why wouldn't you want a young backup ready to step up in case of injury, especially if he could possibly upgrade nickel in the mean time.

You can't have enough good players at the premium positions.

Waiting until too late (after they're already declining) is a losing proposition.  As I've always said...

You draft players when they are available, not when they are convenient.

Murphy's Law says if you wait until you desperately need a player (see QB position at Jax prior to Bortles,) then you're sure to strike out finding one.

TC told Bryant "Don't be putting any bird seeds on my field, ok?". I don't know what that was about, but it may become my signature.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(04-27-2018, 11:33 AM)rollerjag Wrote: Didn't TC also tell Bryant something like (paraphrasing) "Don't leave bird seeds on my field"? I don't know what that was about, but it may become my  signature.

Don't be spitting any birdseed on my field.  I think that's what he said. 
Maybe the guy has a prodigious sunflower seed habit?

(04-27-2018, 11:01 AM)jj82284 Wrote: So in two years our starting 3 tech would be turning 30?

(04-27-2018, 11:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

I was just responding the the couple of posters who said our interior was too old.

I can't be convinced that spending a 1st round pick on a player who's only positive trait is "potential" to replace and almost certainly downgrade a position to save some cash that could be saved in a million other ways is a good move for the team.

How many times will this fan base be duped by non productive college players with the only redeeming quality being "potential?" Matt Jones, Derrick Harvey, Blaine Gabbert, several others to a lesser degree, and now Bryan.

I couldn't recall complely myself, but I vaguely remember a player spreading bird seed at the line of scrimmage to taunt another team/player.

It's been a while ago. Was it Marcus Stroud? I can't recall if it was one of ours, but it probably was if it is meaningful to Tom.

(04-27-2018, 11:39 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 11:01 AM)jj82284 Wrote: So in two years our starting 3 tech would be turning 30?

(04-27-2018, 11:24 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: You are confusing separate issues here. 

I was just responding the the couple of posters who said our interior was too old.  

I can't be convinced that spending a 1st round pick on a player who's only positive trait is "potential" to replace and almost certainly downgrade a position to save some cash that could be saved in a million other ways is a good move for the team.  

How many times will this fan base be duped by non productive college players with the only redeeming quality being "potential?"  Matt Jones, Derrick Harvey, Blaine Gabbert, several others to a lesser degree, and now Bryan.

I guess we won't really know until some time during the 2019 season whether the Jags were wrong to draft the guy or not. 

I'm more optimistic than you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwZLapyFlvI

Skip to our pick. Might provide a little more positivity on the pick.
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

I love the public deference given by coaches and front office types to #1 picks that won't last long. Bryant replied to Dave, Tom and Doug's welcomes with "Hey man...". I don't think he will be doing that much longer.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

IDK, so many other options. Hernandez being number one. The Jags need another solid Guard and he is a stud.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"