Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Select Taven Bryant

Out of curiosity I went back to look at 2-3 mock drafts done in the week leading up to the draft. Most of the ones I looked at had him going around 26. One (CBS Sports) had him going to the Jets with the 10th pick. But yeah, we should panic since we got him at 29.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/dr...th-overall
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I would say relax but that would be pointless, panic and head to the Wells Fargo Building

This is what bpa feels like people. I think we wanted Hayden Hurst but the Ravens snapped him up. There was no player there we felt would seriously upgrade a position so bpa.

Bryan has been highly rated by multiple sources as a raw prospect so let him learn from 3 greats in Malik calais and marcell who combine for 40 million in cap in 2020. Cut 1 and restructure 2 and that should be the cap needed for ramseys 5th year and extensions for yannick and jack.

If Bryan develops it helps keep our defensive core strong whilst resigning our premium players.

All this stink over a rob god forbid if we let someone like ngokue walk

(04-27-2018, 12:50 PM)Perkolater Wrote: Out of curiosity I went back to look at 2-3 mock drafts done in the week leading up to the draft.   Most of the ones I looked at had him going around 26.   One (CBS Sports) had him going to the Jets with the 10th pick.   But yeah, we should panic since we got him at 29.

I always find it interesting this time of year how emotionally invested some people become regarding "their" pick for the Jaguars.

The ego involved to think we know more that those who are paid to do this for a living is staggering. Not that they are never wrong - we talking about predicting human behavior after all - but they certainly have more information available to them, as well as a lifetime of experience.

But we know the truth! Who is a bum and who is a future All-Pro. But the front office never calls. Sad.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(04-27-2018, 12:50 PM)Perkolater Wrote: Out of curiosity I went back to look at 2-3 mock drafts done in the week leading up to the draft. Most of the ones I looked at had him going around 26. One (CBS Sports) had him going to the Jets with the 10th pick. But yeah, we should panic since we got him at 29.

Go find those same writers' mocks from 6 weeks ago and see if you see Bryan anywhere.

I don't love the selection but I don't dislike it either. He very well rounds out to probably the best player on the board last night in their eyes. And if it's a long term move to develop him with his freakish athletic ability at his size to eventually replace Dareus or Jackson by 2019 or 2020 that's fine.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

This is what it feels like when you draft at the bottom. When you are down here, you have to work differently. You either target, move up and give up a lot or you go with best player available or reach on a project. Considering we have no success with projects Matt Jones comes immediately to mind, this pick seems to make sense.

So would you rather have excitement with a top 10 pick and top players falling to you (example Ramsey Draft) or an actual successful season where you have to work your board because you are picking near the bottom. For me, I hope we keep picking near the bottom. These types of picks will be what you have to do to sustain your roster. Look at the way the Steelers and Patriots operate. They know who they are and they draft accordingly.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

In the meantime he's probably going to be pegged as a Rob Meier "catch all" type of DL that'll play inside and outside when needed apart of the rotation.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-27-2018, 01:05 PM)Caldrac Wrote: In the meantime he's probably going to be pegged as a Rob Meier "catch all" type of DL that'll play inside and outside when needed apart of the rotation.

And that's fine. We are due to suffer injuries to the D-Line as some point. We skated by all last year until the 2nd half of the Patriots game.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Taven Bryant is easily the best non-QB backup to be selected in round one.
'02

(04-27-2018, 08:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Give Taven Bryan a year to work with Marion Hobby and play a minor rotational role, and by 2019 he's could be ready to take Malik Jackson's spot and clear a boatload of cap-space.

It may not be the most ideal scenario - but something has to be done about the money being thrown at that D-Line before it's time to play Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue.

This could be the fix we need there.

The selection of Bryan was surprising, and initially even a little disappointing.

But the above shows the value of this pick.  Ideally, you'd like to be in a position to draft a year ahead.  Doing so enables you to work a guy in somewhat slowly, such that you will have excellent depth at a position and not depend upon a rookie to have to come in and play top notch football.  Then, after the guy has been in your system for a year, he can replace the older, expensive vet.

We have so many permutations with our DL with this pick (assuming we keep all of our guys this year), it will be difficult for opponents to get a full handle on our guys.

Our base rotation would naturally be

(1st team)
Ngakoue
Dareus
Jackson
Campbell

(2nd team)
Fowler
Jones
Bryan
Smoot

But depending upon the matchups presented by the offensive line, they could be mixed and matched any number of ways.

I just hope we hit on the player.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-27-2018, 09:52 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 09:43 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Let's just be honest.  Based on his play, this guy was a late round prospect until March after his combine.

This pick spells the end for our Pro Bowl 3 tech that we just signed 2 seasons ago.  There is no way to justify the pick without cutting/trading Malik, maybe as soon as this offseason.  If Bryan comes in and is outplayed by Jackson and Dareus (likely), and Jones and Bennett (possible), then what do you do with him?  You can't practice squad him.  You hqve to cut better players than him.

Based on his play he would be a late round pick? Have you watched him play or are you browsing box scores? If you watched him play then his athletisicm and explosion should have been evident to you immediately. He was always going to be a 1st round guy this year and if he stayed another season and continued to develop chances are you'd be looking at a top 10-15 pick.

"He has averaged less than two tackles per game for a 30 game career and has 5.5 career sacks over that span. He made minimal impact on the Florida defense. "

do I need to watch him play for these monster stats?

(04-27-2018, 12:47 PM)Ronster Wrote: IDK, so many other options. Hernandez being number one. The Jags need another solid Guard and he is a stud.
Boycott Taven Bryan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLPIR...s_-XlOOgcY
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(04-27-2018, 01:11 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Taven Bryant is easily the best non-QB backup to be selected in round one.

won't be on the practice squad next year mark it down

(04-27-2018, 01:28 PM)paksat Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 01:11 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Taven Bryant is easily the best non-QB backup to be selected in round one.

won't be on the practice squad next year mark it down

Of course he won't be on the PS next year.
'02

another interesting video on him. He can be a monster as long has he doesn't quit plays. In this video, he is doubled team almost the whole game. Definitely king of gator line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg__eL7qRws

(04-27-2018, 01:13 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 08:42 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Give Taven Bryan a year to work with Marion Hobby and play a minor rotational role, and by 2019 he's could be ready to take Malik Jackson's spot and clear a boatload of cap-space.

It may not be the most ideal scenario - but something has to be done about the money being thrown at that D-Line before it's time to play Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue.

This could be the fix we need there.

The selection of Bryan was surprising, and initially even a little disappointing.

But the above shows the value of this pick.  Ideally, you'd like to be in a position to draft a year ahead.  Doing so enables you to work a guy in somewhat slowly, such that you will have excellent depth at a position and not depend upon a rookie to have to come in and play top notch football.  Then, after the guy has been in your system for a year, he can replace the older, expensive vet.

We have so many permutations with our DL with this pick (assuming we keep all of our guys this year), it will be difficult for opponents to get a full handle on our guys.

Our base rotation would naturally be

(1st team)
Ngakoue
Dareus
Jackson
Campbell

(2nd team)
Fowler
Jones
Bryan
Smoot

But depending upon the matchups presented by the offensive line, they could be mixed and matched any number of ways.

I just hope we hit on the player.

We had some trouble stopping the run last year.  I anticipate Campbell- Jones- Dareus- Bryan on some obvious run situations.  And that line up can still disrupt the pass.
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HPnoi45w0g