Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags Select Taven Bryant

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 12:20 AM by TJBender.)

(04-26-2018, 11:55 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Easily the worst 1st round pick on draft night in Jaguars history.

(Thinks back on Matt Jones, R. Jay Soward and Tyson Alualu)

You must be new here.

(04-26-2018, 11:56 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
That's just it. It's a pick for the future. So was Caldwell lying to us when he said he drafts immediate starters early? 

Come on 02, you've been around here long enough to know that everything GMs say is a lie. No GM except Gene Smith is going to have a policy that's designed to fail like that one would be.

(04-27-2018, 12:10 AM)knarnn Wrote: Exactly.

Y’all wanted BAP drafting....well here it is.

This guy. He gets it. This pick says to me that Caldwell and Coughlin got on the clock, looked at their board, saw whose name was at the top and made their move.

A decade of picking in the top five has spoiled you all. If your first round pick is starting every year, it's probably because your team sucks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2018, 12:20 AM)TJBender Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:55 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Easily the worst 1st round pick on draft night in Jaguars history.

(Thinks back on Matt Jones, R. Jay Soward and Tyson Alualu)

You must be new here.

Speaking of that, I wore my old Matt Jones jersey to the bar where I watched tonight for funzies.

We had a need and a role for all three of those players when we drafted them. The worst pick of the bunch (on draft night) was Alualu who was overdrafted by half a round, but was still at a position of need.

(04-26-2018, 11:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote: My frustration with this pick is building. Are the Jaguars even going to talk about it? Where Marrone? Coughlin? I want to hear what they have to say, but I'm seeing nothing.

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/9...92865?s=21
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

He's not currently a good player, he disappeared for games at a time at UF, but he is a super freak athlete at least and he'll have time to develop without any pressure.

Definitely could have been a worse pick, but also could have been plenty of other better picks.

(04-26-2018, 11:59 PM)Achilles Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:57 PM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Except half the size of Calais... And the fact that Calais has almost as many sacks in one game against NFL players as Taven had in his entire 30 game career against college players.

He's 3 inches shorter and only 10lbs lighter before he even hits the NFL. That would actually make him more stout than Calais.

He’s also the same height and a pound heavier than Watt. He’s only a 21 year old kid entering the NFL as a rookie. Dude is solid already.

(04-27-2018, 12:27 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 11:59 PM)Achilles Wrote: He's 3 inches shorter and only 10lbs lighter before he even hits the NFL. That would actually make him more stout than Calais.

He’s also the same height and a pound heavier than Watt. He’s only a 21 year old kid entering the NFL as a rookie. Dude is solid already.

Not knocking his size. He has very good size. Just saying that he isn't a Calais Campbell clone. Not even close. Campbell has rare size and had borderline elite college production.

This is the spot you dream of. First round pick being unable to start from day one. Not many team have been able to do that. What rookie would truly come in day one and beat out the starter at the position.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 12:32 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

(04-26-2018, 11:54 PM)Jags02 Wrote: My frustration with this pick is building. Are the Jaguars even going to talk about it? Where Marrone? Coughlin? I want to hear what they have to say, but I'm seeing nothing.

That's because Khan made the pick. Gene Frenette made the all too familiar  Gainesville Times Union  orange and blue pick actually. Khan gave Gene what he wanted in exchange for this: 

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/20180...ng-wembley

The $835 million bid by Jaguars owner Shad Khan to purchase Wembley Stadium in London should come as no surprise, given his aggressive business nature and willingness to invest when he sees a worthy option to enhance his bottom line or the franchise’s financial health.

Frenette is a total shill. He points to a few peanut logs from Stuckey's - in-stadium wading pond which creates the distracting illusion of somebody being hydraulically being sawed in half, and doggie tinky-doo stations - calling them "game day enhancements" and can't get around to the reality that Khan should be buying a stadium right here in Jacksonville, the current base of the London Jaguars. 

The take home message isn't exactly Khan cares more about dogs than Jaguars' fans. The fact is he is investing NOTHING in Jacksonville, except the muffin shoppe he totally ruined.

If you produce the sale transaction for all the riverfront land Khan is stealing from Jacksonville, it will show he actually is investing nil - as the British used to say. Until then he is simply exploiting the Jacksonville base for the London Jaguars because idiots are too afraid to let Khan move his team where he wants it.

Let Khan retract his offer to buy Wembley Stadium and rightly throw down $850,000,000.00 to finance a domed stadium right here.

As the process went on, This was my dark hoarse for this team to take at 29. In reality, Calais Campbell is going to be 32 when the season starts. At some point, father time is undefeated. Between Jackson, Marks and Dareus you have three guys that are making premium salaries. That's unsustainable. After this season we were going to have to move on from at least one of them. So in reality, when you look at the next 4 year window this most definitely does fit a need. Value? When you go back and watch the combine, you hear Mike Mayock using comparisons like J. J. Watt, Gerald McCoy etc. The kid tests off the charts and has elite athleticism. Elite production? No not really. That's life picking @ 29 instead of 9. If he came back next year and had another year of high level production he wouldn't make it past 15.

So in reality the foundation of sacksonville has to be maintained. This kid demonstrates the athleticism and size to be a quality starter at this level. I don't understand how anyone can really pan the pick all that much.

Other needs? I think the team likes A. J. Cann. Cam and Linder have bright futures, you just signed Norwell to the richest Guard contract in history. RT? There wasn't another first round Tackle in this class available when we were on the clock. TE? This wasn't really the strongest class bursting with 1st round talent at the position. Hurst had just gone off the board at 25 and there wasn't another TE taken in the first round. WR? Keelan Cole had 40 catches for 742 yards as a rookie and arguably the biggest catch in Jaguars playoff history. Does anyone think its a stretch for him to put up a band of yards with a few Td's next year?

(04-27-2018, 12:30 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:27 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: He’s also the same height and a pound heavier than Watt. He’s only a 21 year old kid entering the NFL as a rookie. Dude is solid already.

Not knocking his size.  He has very good size.  Just saying that he isn't a Calais Campbell clone.  Not even close.  Campbell has rare size and had borderline elite college production.

Campbell has rare height but is 300 lbs. Bryant has a thicker build than Campbell.

(04-27-2018, 12:30 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:27 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: He’s also the same height and a pound heavier than Watt. He’s only a 21 year old kid entering the NFL as a rookie. Dude is solid already.

Not knocking his size.  He has very good size.  Just saying that he isn't a Calais Campbell clone.  Not even close.  Campbell has rare size and had borderline elite college production.

Agreed. Campbell is 6’8. I can’t name many other pass rushers that size so he really has rare size. And Bryan only played 1 full year as a starter and came out as a 21 y.o. junior the sameness size as Watt. Maybe his size and potential is what makes him a great prospect.

(04-27-2018, 12:30 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: This is the spot you dream of. First round pick being unable to start from day one. Not many team have been able to do that. What rookie would truly come in day one and beat out the starter at the position.

Hernandez at guard. One of the top tight ends. Josh Jackson or Mike Hughes at nickel. Maybe Sutton or Washington at WR. Possibly Brown or Williams at right tackle.

What if..... we drafted him to play Guard? LOL! He only just started playing DT lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2018, 12:43 AM by Upper.)

He's basically the Josh Allen of DTs. Looks great on highlight films, drool worthy splash plays, insane traits, wows at the combine/pro days...turn on the tape or watch his games live and jeez he has a crap top of stuff to work on.

Will he be able to? With his athleticism and the situation he's in it's not the worst bet, but quite a gamble to take with several other really good prospects with stud potential at positions of greater need.

(04-27-2018, 12:30 AM)VEtdavis2006 Wrote: This is the spot you dream of. First round pick being unable to start from day one. Not many team have been able to do that. What rookie would truly come in day one and beat out the starter at the position.

Except if you had made a proper pick rather than a luxury pick, you could have had a starter that would upgrade your OL. I’ll root for the kid because he wears the teal. But I’m still unhappy with the FO and have lost some trust in their judgment.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

He's a heck of a rugby player. Should fit in well

(04-27-2018, 12:36 AM)Predator Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:30 AM)FreeAgent01 Wrote: Not knocking his size.  He has very good size.  Just saying that he isn't a Calais Campbell clone.  Not even close.  Campbell has rare size and had borderline elite college production.

Campbell has rare height but is 300 lbs. Bryant has a thicker build than Campbell.

He is not 300 pounds. Not even close. Just because he's listed at that doesn't mean he plays at that weight. Dude is easily 320 pounds.

(04-27-2018, 12:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:30 AM)VEtdavis2006 Wrote: This is the spot you dream of. First round pick being unable to start from day one. Not many team have been able to do that. What rookie would truly come in day one and beat out the starter at the position.

Except if you had made a proper pick rather than a luxury pick, you could have had a starter that would upgrade your OL. I’ll root for the kid because he wears the teal. But I’m still unhappy with the FO and have lost some trust in their judgment.
There are still a lot of starter caliber talent on the Oline. 

Wait for the end of the draft to start questioning things.

(04-27-2018, 12:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:

so Hernandez is the only guard in this draft class than can unseat Cann as the starter?

(04-27-2018, 12:43 AM)TheSchmidt Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 12:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: Except if you had made a proper pick rather than a luxury pick, you could have had a starter that would upgrade your OL. I’ll root for the kid because he wears the teal. But I’m still unhappy with the FO and have lost some trust in their judgment.

so Hernandez is the only guard in this draft class than can unseat Cann as the starter?

Of the remaining guards in the draft, he is the only one that I would bet on unseating Cann.