Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Overall draft grade

First Round: Taven Bryan, DT - C+
Bryan seems like a guy who's a jar on the shelf.  It's a good developmental pick, but I'm not a big fan of those in the first round.  I think he has a high ceiling -- and if he reaches it, the pick will be great.  But I think he needs to develop first, and there's always a question mark there.  Of course, we were drafting at the end of the first round.  Time will tell on Bryan, as with all picks.  But I'm giving it a C+ right now.

Second Round: DJ Chark, WR - B+
Chark didn't produce much in college.  The question is: How much of that was on a lack of QB?  One thing is for sure: He's fast.  And he could be our top receiver.  For a second round pick, Chark makes a lot of sense.   I think he could have went a bit earlier, but he also could have gone a bit later.  Overall, not a bad pick at all.

Third Round: Ronnie Harrison, S - B+
Ronnie Harrison was surrounded by talent at Alabama.  The good news for him is, he'll continue to be surrounded by talent here.  He's got some learning to do, but as a third rounder that's just fine.  I like the Harrison pick, and I think he can help out on special teams significantly.  

Fourth Round: Will Richardson, OL - A
There are character concerns surrounding Richardson, but that's what allows a guy like him to drop to the 4th in the first place.  I wouldn't have been upset with him in the third round, and can't be upset with him in the fourth.  We needed OL help (which we did get through free agency already) and if Richardson can keep his head on straight he could be a big part of our o-line for years to come.  And in the 4th round, that's exactly what you want.  There's a big risk with his character -- but it's a risk worth taking in the 4th.

Sixth Round: Tanner Lee, QB - F
Really?  Logan Woodside would have been available in the 7th.  And though he's undersized, i think he's a better choice.  I honestly don't see him making the roster.  Which isn't unusual for a 6th round pick, but I think better talent could have been had.  Someone who'd have a better chance to make the team.  But hey, maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not a genius when it comes to football picks.  If I was, I'd have a job with a front office somewhere.  Or at least at ESPN. Can't be that hard.  

Seventh Round: Leon Jacobs, EDGE - B
It's the seventh round.  This is about what you'd expect from a 7th round pick.  Jacobs could turn into something.  Maybe, maybe not.  He's got enough talent.  Good pick.

Seventh Rounder: Logan Cooke, P - F
I feel we'd have done better to just draft one of the UDFA guys we signed, and then picked up Cooke or someone else.  At least it's not a punter in the 3rd I guess.  Still, not sure Logan Cooke was the best punter on the board if that's the route we wanted to go.

Overall: B-
Overall I give the team a B-.  Which I think is a pretty fair grade.  I'm not gushing over this draft like some of our past drafts, but it's not a major disappointment either.  In 4 years time, who knows how we'll grade this draft.  How many of these players will still be on the team by now? Looking back at 2014, here's what we had:

Bortles
Lee
Robinson
Linder
Colvin
Smith
Smith 2
Bowanko
Storm Johnson

UDFAs:
Allen Hunrs
Tyler Shatley
Josh Wells

Looking back, Telvin Smith was easily the best pick there.  Bortles has turned out okay, though not as good as I had hoped.  Robinson is sadly gone, but was sstill an excellent pick.  We'll see how wrong I was in 2022.  Hopefully I'll have underestimated the players and not overestimated them.

Messages In This Thread
Overall draft grade - by jaglou53 - 04-28-2018, 07:45 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JAXsonVIL - 04-28-2018, 07:48 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by Dimson - 04-28-2018, 09:40 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JNev - 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by TJBender - 04-29-2018, 07:23 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JNev - 04-29-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by TJBender - 04-29-2018, 07:37 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JNev - 04-29-2018, 07:47 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by ColoJag - 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by I am Yoda - 04-28-2018, 09:55 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by Upper - 04-28-2018, 10:08 PM