Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Overall draft grade

1. Taven Bryan (B-): If you are looking at 2018, it's the opposite of a need.  He'll be playing a position manned by either pro-bowler Malik Jackson or pro-bowler Calais Campbell.  That being said, we have salary cap issues in 2019 and cutting Jackson would save us $11 million.  Campbell is also an aging player with a huge salary who won't be here forever.  As for talent, I see Bryan as a boom or bust pick.  He does have a very ceiling, but he also has a low floor.  He has incredible physical attributes, but he hasn't shown the production on the field.  I really thought Will Hernandez would have been a great blend of need and value at this pick.  Can you imagine our interior line with pro-bowler Norwell, near pro-bowler level Linder and the highly talent Hernandez?  That would be a scary good interior for a team that wants to run the ball.  Keep in mind that Cann is a free agent at the end of the year and we have salary cap issues, so Hernandez would have filled a long term need as well.

2.  D.J. Chark (A): He was the fastest receiver at the combine and also has good size at 6'3" and 200 pounds.  He didn't have college's best stats, but when I watch his highlight film, I see major failures by the quarterback.  If some of those balls are thrown correctly (and not behind him), he would have had much more yards and touchdowns.  You were able to see what he could do with a different quarterback in the Senior Bowl where he was the game's co-MVP.  I would also note that I love in the scouting report where I see that he is considered to have the ability to make safeties back off.  That's something this offense desperately needs.  He may do as much for our running game as he does for our passing game. Oh, he is also a good punt returner.

3.  Ronnie Harrison (B): Similar to our first round pick, he's not a need in 2018.  Unless there's an injury, I don't see him playing much in 2018 other than special teams.  However, if he can be a capable starter, he could replace Barry Church, who besides being 30, has a salary of over $6 million in 2019 with no dead money if cut.  As for value, I've seen him graded everywhere from A+ to C.  My guess is somewhere in between the two.

4.  Will Richardson (A): This was a big need.  At worst (assuming he stays clean), it's valuable depth.  At best, he could take over long term at right tackle.  Parnell is an aging player (currently 31) with $6 million in salary cap savings if cut next year.  Richardson could also be in competition for the right guard position this year.  In regards to talent, this is a player who didn't allow a single sack or quarterback pressure in his senior year.  He likely would have been a second round pick if not for his off the field issues.  In regards to those issues, I don't like it, but we would never have gotten him here without them.  I think it's a risk very worth taking.

6.  Tanner Lee (D): This guy was incredibly inaccurate in college with a ton of interceptions.  The only things saving him from being an F is that this is a late 6th round pick, it is a need and he does have some very good physical attributes.  However, it still feels doubtful that he makes the 53 man roster and even very iffy to make the practice squad.

7A. Leon Jacob (A): I like his physical abilities.  I think he can compete for our last starting linebacker spots.  If not, his experience playing both inside and outside linebacker makes him good emergency depth.  I think him getting moved around a bunch in college hurt his stats which allowed him to drop in the draft.  If nothing else, he'll likely be a good special teams player.  That alone makes him a decent pick in the seventh round.

7B.  Logan Cooke (C-): I don't have a big problem with taking a punter in the late seventh, but there doesn't appear to be anything special about him.  There's a long list of college punters with better stats last year.  Why not wait until UDFA?  The thing saving him from a lower grade is that this is the late 7th round and he does have a decent chance to make the team.  Nortman struggled last year and cutting him could be a quick way to save almost $2 million off the salary cap.

Messages In This Thread
Overall draft grade - by jaglou53 - 04-28-2018, 07:45 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JAXsonVIL - 04-28-2018, 07:48 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by Dimson - 04-28-2018, 09:40 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JNev - 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by TJBender - 04-29-2018, 07:23 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JNev - 04-29-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by TJBender - 04-29-2018, 07:37 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by JNev - 04-29-2018, 07:47 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by ColoJag - 04-28-2018, 07:55 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by I am Yoda - 04-28-2018, 09:55 PM
RE: Overall draft grade - by Upper - 04-28-2018, 10:08 PM