Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags decline to pick up Dante Fowler's fifth-year option

(05-02-2018, 05:20 PM)wg171 Wrote: What would be wrong with a starting front four of Yan, Jackson, Campbell and Fowler?

Run defense, that's what would be wrong.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-02-2018, 05:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 05:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We can always tag him in 2019 if we want.  $14m option is pretty high but he did make good progress for a young 23 year old.  Heck, AJ Cann was already 23 when we drafted both of them back in 2015.

Keep in mind the tag for a DE next year will probably top $15 mil.

I don't see how this can be called a mistake. When you're the 3rd overall pick you better be making the Pro Bowl to earn your option year. Dante is not even starting. 

Because a pro bowler is taking his spot.

(05-02-2018, 06:03 PM)wg171 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 05:58 PM)Jags02 Wrote: Keep in mind the tag for a DE next year will probably top $15 mil.

I don't see how this can be called a mistake. When you're the 3rd overall pick you better be making the Pro Bowl to earn your option year. Dante is not even starting. 

Because a pro bowler is taking his spot.

So what? We're not about to pay give $14 mil for one season to a backup player.

'02

(05-02-2018, 05:55 PM)Psychop1 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 05:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: We can always tag him in 2019 if we want.  $14m option is pretty high but he did make good progress for a young 23 year old.  Heck, AJ Cann was already 23 when we drafted both of them back in 2015.

Tag will probably be around $17 million. Wouldn’t you guys have to clear up like $40 million in cap space to tag a de and sign rookies and such?

If their first round DT and third round safety picks from this year pan out, they'll clear about 22 million from the books by becoming starters and allowing vets they replace to walk. 
Add another 6 million  in cap space to that if the fourth rounder can start at RT in 2019.  

They will have to work at managing cap in 2019 - but it's not impossible to keep Ramsey, Ngakoue, Jack and Fowler if they decide they want to.

(05-02-2018, 06:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 06:03 PM)wg171 Wrote: Because a pro bowler is taking his spot.

Agreed

So what should the team do with him.....after this season?

(05-02-2018, 06:16 PM)wg171 Wrote: Agreed

Depends on how he, and the other pricey defensive linemen perform. 
Often, not always but often, the play on the field makes these decisions cut and dry by season's end. 
It's not cut and dry yet, but there's time.  
Too many good defenders to afford is a problem we've dreamed of having for a long time. 
I'm not gonna' sweat it.

Worst case scenario, he has a good year and continues to ascend. The team can use the franchise tag on him if a long term deal can't be reached. It was going to cost them $14 million if they picked up the option. The tag for 2018 is $14.2 million. It shouldn't jump dramatically next year, so it's an option. Basically, Fowler is on a one year prove it deal.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(05-02-2018, 06:36 PM)FBT Wrote: Worst case scenario, he has a good year and continues to ascend.  The team can use the franchise tag on him if a long term deal can't be reached.  It was going to cost them $14 million if they picked up the option. The tag for 2018 is $14.2 million.  It shouldn't jump dramatically next year, so it's an option.  Basically, Fowler is on a one year prove it deal.

Not bad for the team or for the player either. It works out both ways and gives us flexibility to not be on the books for Fowler if he winds up regressing. 

Last year was his first consistently good season and I'd agree that if like to see another one before throwing money at him.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

(05-02-2018, 06:36 PM)FBT Wrote: Worst case scenario, he has a good year and continues to ascend.  The team can use the franchise tag on him if a long term deal can't be reached.  It was going to cost them $14 million if they picked up the option. The tag for 2018 is $14.2 million.  It shouldn't jump dramatically next year, so it's an option.  Basically, Fowler is on a one year prove it deal.

Bingo.

If he does his thing he gets re-signed. I would have no problem whatsoever letting go an aging vet or two or three in order to re-sign Fowler and keep Ramsey and Yannick.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(05-02-2018, 05:20 PM)wg171 Wrote: What would be wrong with a starting front four of Yan, Jackson, Campbell and Fowler?

We lack a run stuffer with this lineup.

(05-02-2018, 06:18 PM)wg171 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 06:12 PM)Jags02 Wrote:

Agreed

Keep in mind that he walks and signs somewhere else, the Jaguars might get a 3rd round comp pick for him. 
'02

I fell for the same thing at first. Look at the article again. The actual tag number for a DE is in the earlier page numbers... it's like $17.2 mil. The $14.2 number is the transition tag amount.

I'd guess next year's franchise tag number will be something like $17.5 mil. 

(05-02-2018, 07:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

We lack a run stuffer with this lineup.

I'm guessing next year's DL looks like...

Yannick, Bryan, Dareus, Campbell

Can Fowler play the SAM spot?
'02

I agree with then Jags decision.
He's so young, he is a good neighbor. Sweet matte black Land Rover.

I would try to trade him for a 2020 first round draft choice.

If he gets 10 sacks or more, he'll get a huge contract from someone. Shoot,Andre Branch got $8 Mil per thom Miami, and he's not as good as DF

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2018, 09:32 PM by SeldomRite.)

(05-02-2018, 08:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I would try to trade him for a 2020 first round draft choice.

Did Gene Smith get another gm job and I didn't hear about it? Because I can't think of anyone else that could possibly be a bad enough GM to trade a first round pick for someone like Fowler.

Think about it like this, if the Jaguars traded a first for him and signed him to a commensurate contact would you approve of the move?

(05-02-2018, 09:17 PM)jagboss Wrote: If he gets 10 sacks or more, he'll get a huge contract from someone. Shoot,Andre Branch got $8 Mil per thom Miami, and he's not as good as DF

Thing is he won't have to. Everyone knows he is in a reserve role. Barring injury, he will see the same amount of playtime as last season. Stats will be around the same or decline. He will be 24 when he hits the market and it is extremely rare for a pass rusher at that age to hit the market with the potential Fowler has. FA is a complete frenzy... some team will make him a top 5 paid DE. Jags who will likely make Ngakoue the highest paid DE, Jack a top 5 LB, and in the future Ramsey top CB... they won't compete with a team paying Fowler top 5 DE/outside 3-4 LB $. Every team knows that pro bowlers are playing in front of him and he doesn't have playing time.

(05-02-2018, 08:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I would try to trade him for a 2020 first round draft choice.

Lol.

They would be lucky to get a 4th for him.

"What a surprise!" said no one ever.

Fowler is a very solid rotational defensive lineman. Know who else was a very solid rotational defensive lineman? Tyson Alualu. If Fowler's not starting at a high level, he's not worth $14M.

(05-02-2018, 09:29 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:

Did Gene Smith get another gm job and I didn't hear about it? Because I can't think of anyone else that could possibly be a bad enough GM to trade a first round pick for someone like Fowler.

Think about it like this, if the Jaguars traded a first for him and signed him to a commensurate contact would you approve of the move?

Not a good example because the Jags don't desperately need a pass rusher.

Fowler is a young and improving player who put up 10 sacks in part time duty. He's also a decent run defender. If I were GM of (say) the Packers who filled their CB needs but not their DL needs in the draft, and I thought a good edge rusher would put us over the top, then I'd do it if I could come to a long-term deal with Fowler. After all, it would be a late 1st and Aaron Rodgers isn't getting any younger.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"