Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NFL.com - Jags decline to pick up Dante Fowler's fifth-year option

If he has another good, but not great season (think ten sacks) then let him walk. You can find players like that easily (think Bobby McCray or Paul Spicer). We should still get a compensatory pick.

Now if he goes out and has a fantastic year (think 15 sacks) then you’re in an interesting scenario. You also have to ask, is this the real deal? Or did he overachieve because of a contract year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-03-2018, 10:43 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: If he has another good, but not great season (think ten sacks) then let him walk. You can find players like that easily (think Bobby McCray or Paul Spicer). We should still get a compensatory pick.

Now if he goes out and has a fantastic year (think 15 sacks) then you’re in an interesting scenario. You also have to ask, is this the real deal? Or did he overachieve because of a contract year.

If he has a fantastic year, then can we even afford him?  Ngakoue and Jack and Ramsey are all likely going to demand big contracts within the next year or so.

(05-03-2018, 10:43 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: If he has another good, but not great season (think ten sacks) then let him walk. You can find players like that easily (think Bobby McCray or Paul Spicer). We should still get a compensatory pick.

The fanboys would change their tune real quick if he signed a monster deal after a big season and never made much noise thereafter.

A big year from him, IMO, would make a re-signing riskier - not easier to make for the Jags.

I'd rather keep drafting.  I like him, I just don't think he's worth extending for what we'd likely pay.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(05-02-2018, 07:53 PM)Jags02 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 06:36 PM)FBT Wrote: Worst case scenario, he has a good year and continues to ascend.  The team can use the franchise tag on him if a long term deal can't be reached.  It was going to cost them $14 million if they picked up the option. The tag for 2018 is $14.2 million.  It shouldn't jump dramatically next year, so it's an option.  Basically, Fowler is on a one year prove it deal.

I fell for the same thing at first. Look at the article again. The actual tag number for a DE is in the earlier page numbers... it's like $17.2 mil. The $14.2 number is the transition tag amount.

I'd guess next year's franchise tag number will be something like $17.5 mil. 

(05-02-2018, 07:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We lack a run stuffer with this lineup.

I'm guessing next year's DL looks like...

Yannick, Bryan, Dareus, Campbell

Can Fowler play the SAM spot?

Even at $17.5, that's not completely unreasonable if he's continuing to improve and have an impact.  My guess is that should he prove himself, he'll get an extension and it won't come down to a tag of any sort.  From what they're saying, Fowler has finally started to show the kind of focus they expect, thanks to Calais Campbell's leadership.  We may only be scratching the surface of what he can do for this team if that's the case.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(05-03-2018, 10:50 AM)pirkster Wrote:

The fanboys would change their tune real quick if he signed a monster deal after a big season and never made much noise thereafter.

A big year from him, IMO, would make a re-signing riskier - not easier to make for the Jags.

I'd rather keep drafting.  I like him, I just don't think he's worth extending for what we'd likely pay.

Agreed.  If they don't get an extension ironed out before the season starts, and he has a monster year, this team will most likely let him walk, unless there's a dramatic step back in the play of Campbell and/or Jackson.  One thing we've learned about this front office is that they set a value on a player, and they don't deviate.  If it looks like he'll wind up getting more in free agency, I don't see them bringing him back.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(05-03-2018, 10:57 AM)FBT Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:50 AM)pirkster Wrote: The fanboys would change their tune real quick if he signed a monster deal after a big season and never made much noise thereafter.

Agreed.  If they don't get an extension ironed out before the season starts, and he has a monster year, this team will most likely let him walk, unless there's a dramatic step back in the play of Campbell and/or Jackson.  One thing we've learned about this front office is that they set a value on a player, and they don't deviate.  If it looks like he'll wind up getting more in free agency, I don't see them bringing him back.

I’d be inclined to agree. 

My only concern is that is literally took us ten years to get a strong pass rush. With Campbell most likely gone in the next couple of years, do we risk letting go what may be our next fantastic complement to Yan? The draft is a dice roll, again, going back to our ten year drought; how many pass rushers did we draft and or sign in FA and never worked out? It would be a tough decision for sure. That’s why I’m glad I’m not in the front office

(05-03-2018, 11:06 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:57 AM)FBT Wrote: Agreed.  If they don't get an extension ironed out before the season starts, and he has a monster year, this team will most likely let him walk, unless there's a dramatic step back in the play of Campbell and/or Jackson.  One thing we've learned about this front office is that they set a value on a player, and they don't deviate.  If it looks like he'll wind up getting more in free agency, I don't see them bringing him back.

I’d be inclined to agree. 

My only concern is that is literally took us ten years to get a strong pass rush. With Campbell most likely gone in the next couple of years, do we risk letting go what may be our next fantastic complement to Yan? The draft is a dice roll, again, going back to our ten year drought; how many pass rushers did we draft and or sign in FA and never worked out? It would be a tough decision for sure. That’s why I’m glad I’m not in the front office

Based on the outcome of the moves they made last year, you have to trust the process.  If they come to the conclusion that he's not coming back, I'm sure they'll have a plan in place to address the loss.  Keep in mind, we were talking about picking up the option on a player that was going to cost this team $14.2 million for essentially a backup.  Not exactly the wisest use of cap space unless the expectation is that he becomes the guy, and then you have more difficult decisions to make.  

Yannick's contract is going to need to be looked at.  

You can pretty much expect at least one of the 3 veterans (Campbell, Jackson, Dareus) won't be back for 2019. The team needs to continue to look to the draft to help manage the cap and re-stock talent.  That means a lot of these big ticket players will eventually be purged from the roster.  Let's hope the front office continues to identify talent to sustain the current success.

(05-03-2018, 10:26 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote:
(05-02-2018, 05:47 PM)wg171 Wrote: Love the idea of a RB having to pick up a blitzing Fowler!

Fowler is a pass rusher and would be lost trying to cover a rb in space. and we'd never get to see a rb "pick up a blitzing Fowler" since we literally blitz less than any other team in the league.

Was thinking of how he might do in a 3-4

(05-03-2018, 04:19 PM)wg171 Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:26 AM)Dewboy01 Wrote: Fowler is a pass rusher and would be lost trying to cover a rb in space. and we'd never get to see a rb "pick up a blitzing Fowler" since we literally blitz less than any other team in the league.

Was thinking of how he might do in a 3-4

He would shine. I couldn't imagine if he went to a team like the Steelers.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

It's really not that different, at least not for him since he's used to doing both. He'd be taking a steeper angle on the OT and standing up rather than his hand on the ground. IIRC he's done that from OLB in our scheme as well. He also did some of that in college.
"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM by SamusAranX.)

(05-03-2018, 01:47 PM)FBT Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 11:06 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: I’d be inclined to agree. 

Based on the outcome of the moves they made last year, you have to trust the process.  If they come to the conclusion that he's not coming back, I'm sure they'll have a plan in place to address the loss.  Keep in mind, we were talking about picking up the option on a player that was going to cost this team $14.2 million for essentially a backup.  Not exactly the wisest use of cap space unless the expectation is that he becomes the guy, and then you have more difficult decisions to make.  

Yannick's contract is going to need to be looked at.  

You can pretty much expect at least one of the 3 veterans (Campbell, Jackson, Dareus) won't be back for 2019. The team needs to continue to look to the draft to help manage the cap and re-stock talent.  That means a lot of these big ticket players will eventually be purged from the roster.  Let's hope the front office continues to identify talent to sustain the current success.

I definitely wouldn’t spend 14 mil if he stays a backup. But let’s say Fowler racks up 15 sacks, some forced fumbles and a couple defensive TDs for good measure. At the point do you resign him and let a veteran or two walk? Rather than hope we find another guy like that in the draft or FA? That’s where I wonder what would happen. 

Also do you think it’s possible Campbell would restructure if he pulls a Julius Peppers and stays immortal the next two to three years? Or would that wreck our cap? I don’t know much about the inane rules of the salary cap.

If Fowler does that you let Campbell go. I don't think we'll ever see 2017 Calais ever again. The Jags were fortunate enough to get their moneys worth from that FA signing. You also couldn't put a price on his influence in the locker room.

Hard to tell with Campbell.

On one hand he seems to love it here and had one of the most seamless transitions from newcomer to leader I have ever seen from an athlete. Which is testament to his character.

On the other, he's only been here 1 season. Why would he take a pay cut when he's still at the height of his powers talent wise? It's a business after all.

If he balls out again this season I don't know how you get rid of him even if he is aging fast. Better off to try wiggle the cap around and release him in 2020 or something

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 04:53 AM by The Real Marty.)

(05-03-2018, 07:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 07:46 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: He can't get or make as much here pretty much no matter what. I think 4 D linemen are gone after this year, we have too much salary and too many great young players needing new contracts the next two years. Smoot, Bryan, and a new NT will probably be starting with Yan in 2019 because the guys they replace are 45 million in cap money and we're 44 million over.

Then our window of opportunity just slammed shut after this season. It's either win now or we're screwed in this case.

I don't think that's true.  I think Bryan and Ronnie Harrison can both replace high priced veterans, and if we do that again next year, our window will remain open.  We have until the 2019 regular season to solve this problem.

Besides, we're not 44 million over the 2019 cap.   We're 17 million over the 2019 cap. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

(05-03-2018, 06:39 AM)Achilles Wrote: And again, there is still the option of the franchise tag.

Considering we turned down his $14 mil option, I really don't see slapping a $17.5 mil franchise tag on him as an option
(unless perhaps it's to trade him after the details have already been worked out). They said they want to work out a long-term deal with him, but I don't know that they'll even fork up the kind of money another team might want to pay him to start. After watching them let ARob just walk, I'm convinced Fowler is headed in the same direction. I'll gladly take a 3rd round comp pick in return.

'02

(05-04-2018, 01:06 AM)JackCity Wrote: Hard to tell with Campbell.  

On one hand he seems to love it here and had one of the most seamless transitions from newcomer to leader I have ever seen from an athlete. Which is testament to his character.

On the other, he's only been here 1 season. Why would he take a pay cut when he's still at the height of his powers talent wise? It's a business after all.  

If he balls out again this season I don't know how you get rid of him even if he is aging fast. Better off to try wiggle the cap around and release him in 2020 or something

Nobody suggested Campbell should take a pay cut, and given his production it would be ludicrous to even ask him. He merely asked if Campbell might restructure, tho, and surely he would. Every vet would quickly restructure by taking a huge check up front instead of waiting years to slowly receive weekly base salary. He's not losing any money by restructuring; he's merely getting his money early. 
'02

(05-02-2018, 11:32 PM)JUNGLE CAT 2017 Wrote: Dante Fowler has not lived up to the hype. Neither will Taven Bryan. These Florida Gator players are basically forced upon the Jaguars in part by the ownership suddenly needing the power of the local media to knock down pre-fabricated rumors, and, in part, in order to placate the inappropriately influential local media who drive home to the Gainesville Times Union each afternoon to worship at the feet of their T-- T--ow shrines. 

Let's not forget...Gene Frenette still owes Wayne Weaver $26 million dollars for Derrick Harvey, for example.

I am not bright enough to understand this. Oh wait, I just got the Tebow reference, let me spend some more time with it.
Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

This is the price to pay for bringing in so many expensive free agents. Yes, we get better immediately, but it also forces us to make tough decisions regarding other really good players. This was no surprise at all. We probably aren't going to re-sign him, because it's just too expensive. We certainly won't tag him, because that's even more costly. The only real decision is whether to trade him and try to get a first or second round pick or to let him walk, and receiver a 3rd rounder as compensation. To me, this is a no-brainer. It would take a miracle for him to be back in a Jags uniform after the 2018 season.

(This post was last modified: 05-04-2018, 10:51 AM by JagFanFirst.)

It's frustrating to develop this talent, and then just watch him walk. Fowler was off the charts in the playoffs...an absolute beast. Assuming both he and Campbell have good seasons in 2018, I'd still be inclined to let Campbell walk, and keep the younger player.

Keep the draft pick over the free agent, I say.

(05-04-2018, 10:33 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is the price to pay for bringing in so many expensive free agents. Yes, we get better immediately, but it also forces us to make tough decisions regarding other really good players. This was no surprise at all. We probably aren't going to re-sign him, because it's just too expensive. We certainly won't tag him, because that's even more costly. The only real decision is whether to trade him and try to get a first or second round pick or to let him walk, and receiver a 3rd rounder as compensation. To me, this is a no-brainer. It would take a miracle for him to be back in a Jags uniform after the 2018 season.

Yeah, big FAs that continue at a high level will pretty much bump up a team quickly.  It's up to them drafting well to sustain this success, which outside of 2013 and 2015, our drafts have looked pretty solid so far, so there's that.