Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
ICYMI-Dave Caldwell talks with Florio

https://player.fm/series/pro-football-ta...dwell-52-3

The very end is annoying...but a decent interview overall.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Thanks for posting this, Bullseye.
It's actually pretty great how generally transparent Caldwell is compared to what I perceive as the norm.
Marrone has taken a similar approach also - which has been great. His pressers are very entertaining.
A few key quips I liked from this Caldwell chat:
  • The amount of players (hundreds) Caldwell personally sifts through from a scouting perspective is pretty impressive. 
  • The comment on needs vs BAP was crystal clear and meshes with my prior expectation of their philosophy. 
  • Caldwell: not surprised Lamar Jackson went in round one. 
  • On Bortles:  This is his team. Want to see more of the consistency he showed in the second half of last season all year long. 
  • Response to London dig:  "I know our owner is committed to Jacksonville and you know that too."

(05-05-2018, 10:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thanks for posting this, Bullseye.
It's actually pretty great how generally transparent Caldwell is compared to what I perceive as the norm.
Marrone has taken a similar approach also - which has been great. His pressers are very entertaining.
  • The amount of players (hundreds) Caldwell personally sifts through from a scouting perspective is pretty impressive. 
  • The comment on needs vs BAP was crystal clear and meshes with my prior expectation of their philosophy. 
  • On Bortles:  This is his team. Want to see more of the consistency he showed in the second half of last season all year long. 
  • Response to London dig:  "I know our owner is committed to Jacksonville and you know that too."

The timeline and how it breaks down starting in April was informative.

I found the BAP/Need process is how I expected it to be, as well.  It would have been nice to have this information back during the various BAP/Need debates in years past.

No he wasn't surprised he went round 1, but also said he wouldn't have picked him.

Part of me wishes Caldwell, or someone, would have popped Florio upside his head.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 05-05-2018, 09:16 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(05-05-2018, 11:10 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 10:00 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Thanks for posting this, Bullseye.

No he wasn't surprised he went round 1, but also said he wouldn't have picked him.

And he was pretty matter of fact about it as well.  Either they had no interest in taking any of these QBs high at all which is kinda weird the way they set up Bortles' contract or they don't think Jackson will ever have success at this level which wasn't an uncommon thought by guys like Polian pre-draft.

The way he said it, my guess is they wouldn't have taken him at 61 either.

Very good interview.

Regarding Lamar, Caldwell didn't want to say where they had him pegged but wasn't surprised to see him in round 1. To me it sounded like they had him outside round 1 but he didn't want to cause disrespect to either party. Or is it just Caldwell simply feeling like not saying either way? What did you guys think

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!