Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shooting at Santa Fe High School

I give up, we'll have to address this the next time we have a shooting...like always.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-20-2018, 01:15 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: AAANNnnndd... do you see what this thread has resorted to?

That's the exact damn reason why we can't have the necessary discussions to solve this problem. Which is rapidly becoming the biggest problem of this era.

He wasn't a Nazi liberal or some gun wielding NRA conservative thumping his bible either. But the masses keep us going at eachother and divided us so much that we'll continue to drop step in their individual lines and never get to the bottom of this or what's causing this...why are our children committing mass murder at a alarming rate? EVERYBODY IS AT FAULT for this. This isn't a gun issue..it's what we've become as a country.

Y'all have got to block that political crap out and find common ground. It's all hate spewed from both sides while the leaders of both sides are busy high fiving behind the scenes...That's American politics today. Divide, divide, divide. Cash in. We the people have to unplug and wake the hell up.

It all starts with bullying in schools. I remember some kids getting picked on when I was in school, but nothing like what happens today. Nowadays when kids are bullied, it's relentless, and widespread, thanks to social media. A kid with "issues" can only take being picked on for so long, before they "snap." When people turn a blind eye to these kids being relentlessly ridiculed, bad things are gonna happen. That is the root of the problem. All of these shooters have been the "outsiders" of their school.

(05-20-2018, 01:15 AM)TurndownforWatt Wrote: AAANNnnndd... do you see what this thread has resorted to?

That's the exact damn reason why we can't have the necessary discussions to solve this problem. Which is rapidly becoming the biggest problem of this era.

He wasn't a Nazi liberal or some gun wielding NRA conservative thumping his bible either. But the masses keep us going at eachother and divided us so much that we'll continue to drop step in their individual lines and never get to the bottom of this or what's causing this...why are our children committing mass murder at a alarming rate? EVERYBODY IS AT FAULT for this. This isn't a gun issue..it's what we've become as a country.

Y'all have got to block that political crap out and find common ground. It's all hate spewed from both sides while the leaders of both sides are busy high fiving behind the scenes...That's American politics today. Divide, divide, divide. Cash in. We the people have to unplug and wake the hell up.

Bull [BLEEP]. I'm not accepting responsibility for someone else's actions, and I'm not surrendering my rights because someone else abuses theirs. "Our" children aren't doing this, certain specific children are doing this and they are usually children from certain specific backgrounds in certain specific circumstances. I've already alleviated the problem for my children by removing them from public schools, and I encourage everyone I know to do the same. Get your kids out of public school, get them off the prescription drugs, (as a father) invest in their time and lives, keep them busy in social activities that burn their energy and fulfill their passions, keep them involved in the institutions that can't be discussed here, and you have a terrific chance of rearing a contributing member of society. The societal issues we are facing have a specific cause and a fairly simple solution, it just takes the adults being adults at the local level.

In 1965 Daniel Patrick Monynihan stated it perfectly, "at the heart of the deterioration of the fabric of Negro society is the deterioration of the Negro family. It is the fundamental source of the weakness of the Negro community at the present time." He was right, the problem then is the problem now, ie we've allowed the family unit to disintegrate;  and it continues to grow now among the other demographics of the population and no one will work to rectify it, much less even admit that it exists as THE problem of American society. DPM's words have also show to be true the other direction, African-American families headed by the traditional two-parent model have been in the single digits for poverty EVERY year since 1994, ie the model works. This issue is not politics, and it's not something on which there even can be common ground. We can't have common ground about the family with groups who think that the family is the microform of the Patriarchy that keeps women, children, and minorities down. But if the American Family continues down this path then American Society is doomed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Every kid is different. It works for you kids to not go to public school but it doesn’t work for every kid. Instead of telling parents to take their kids out of public school, tell them to do what’s best for THEIR kids.

I know plenty of kids who love going to school because their home life isn’t great. They love hanging with their friends and learning from great teachers. They love having access to things that they don’t get at home. Public schools aren’t the devil here. Sometimes is the parents but sometimes, the person doing these bad things, do it because they’re disturbed. They could have the best parents and education in the world and still do it.

(05-20-2018, 09:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Every kid is different. It works for you kids to not go to public school but it doesn’t work for every kid. Instead of telling parents to take their kids out of public school, tell them to do what’s best for THEIR kids.

I know plenty of kids who love going to school because their home life isn’t great. They love hanging with their friends and learning from great teachers. They love having access to things that they don’t get at home. Public schools aren’t the devil here. Sometimes is the parents but sometimes, the person doing these bad things, do it because they’re disturbed. They could have the best parents and education in the world and still do it.

Disturbed kids, those with an actual clinical pathology, are the small subset to which I refer, but most kids on psychotropics aren't that, they're mis-diagnosed or convenience diagnosed. But you make my point when you say that public schools are better than the home life, that's a sure indicator of the root problem.

And please don't think I'm being critical of the good teachers in the bad system, they are just as much a victim as the kids subjected to the petri dish of social indoctrination methods of modern education.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-20-2018, 08:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

Bull [BLEEP]. I'm not accepting responsibility for someone else's actions, and I'm not surrendering my rights because someone else abuses theirs. "Our" children aren't doing this, certain specific children are doing this and they are usually children from certain specific backgrounds in certain specific circumstances. I've already alleviated the problem for my children by removing them from public schools, and I encourage everyone I know to do the same. Get your kids out of public school, get them off the prescription drugs, (as a father) invest in their time and lives, keep them busy in social activities that burn their energy and fulfill their passions, keep them involved in the institutions that can't be discussed here, and you have a terrific chance of rearing a contributing member of society. The societal issues we are facing have a specific cause and a fairly simple solution, it just takes the adults being adults at the local level.

In 1965 Daniel Patrick Monynihan stated it perfectly, "at the heart of the deterioration of the fabric of Negro society is the deterioration of the Negro family. It is the fundamental source of the weakness of the Negro community at the present time." He was right, the problem then is the problem now, ie we've allowed the family unit to disintegrate;  and it continues to grow now among the other demographics of the population and no one will work to rectify it, much less even admit that it exists as THE problem of American society. DPM's words have also show to be true the other direction, African-American families headed by the traditional two-parent model have been in the single digits for poverty EVERY year since 1994, ie the model works. This issue is not politics, and it's not something on which there even can be common ground. We can't have common ground about the family with groups who think that the family is the microform of the Patriarchy that keeps women, children, and minorities down. But if the American Family continues down this path then American Society is doomed.

Some studies have shown that pulling your kids out of social settings like public school actually can contribute to undesired behavior. What I would take away from this is that you hopefully made this decision based on your kids patterns of behavior and desire. Glad you have discovered what works for y'all. Broad brush has become the norm today and your path just won’t work for everyone.

Finding a balance is where parents fail. Provide them knowledge and the tools to navigate social hurdles. Lawnmower parenting or clearing a path of potential issues so our kids don’t have to build cognitive ability to engage is one issue. The other is just throwing them in the wind to figure everything out on their own. What most of these school incidents have in common is social awkwardness, parental disconnect, and lack of exercised conflict resolution. There appears to be zero resiliency. 

It’s interesting that you posted that book excerpt. That study also discusses how alot of socialization issues compound generationally. We are seeing it now in what used to be statistically single parent, low income black families to now consuming lower-middle class working families that are too busy to actively engage parental responsibilities. This may sound awkward but it is now a mostly Whites issue. Would be interesting to study why whites have lost conflict resolution skills.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2018, 09:51 AM by B2hibry.)

(05-20-2018, 09:10 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Every kid is different. It works for you kids to not go to public school but it doesn’t work for every kid. Instead of telling parents to take their kids out of public school, tell them to do what’s best for THEIR kids.

Agree. I think we have a habit of wanting to oversimplify things and put it in a neat labeled box. In my opinion, school violence is not a sole-source issue. It is an extreme compounding of multiple issues that are being ignored for one reason or another. Pardon the pun, but there is no magic bullet to fix this. We need to learn how to identify those becoming lost and disconnecting.

Somewhere in DC, NRA lobbyists are touching themselves right now.

(05-20-2018, 10:53 AM)TJBender Wrote:

Somewhere in DC, NRA lobbyists are touching themselves right now.

Because idiots feed the narrative and give them free marketing. Amazing how the general public doesn’t realize how minuscule the NRA is in politics in general. Why don’t we see the harassing of the American Medical Association or U.S. Department of Health & Human Services everytime someone dies from pills? I mean, 46 people a day die from legal drugs. 

It’s energy misdirected and doesn’t address root cause or even a viable solution. Just hot air!

Anyone who calls BS on this is pretty blind. What he says is true. It's not the ONLY problem, but if you think the media and politicians don't have a hand in pitting us against each other then you're just as much a sheep as you say others are. 

As someone else said, I'm not taking responsibility for how others' kids have turned out, and I have raised none myself so I am not going down that road, but we are all responsible for how we act and react to the direction society is going. Fighting each other and making every dang thing about the left or the right and pointing fingers at whose fault it is does absolutely nothing. 

We need- and I say this as a country- we need to have conversations with our families and friends, our clergy if that applies, folks in our communities, our local/state/federal officials and anyone else necessary  about how we can change things or be able to make a positive difference. There was a time when society was about families and community. Look at old television programs. Everything was about families and community. These days it's rare that anyone even knows their next door neighbor much less going out into the community and helping others. We've become so self absorbed that everything is all about us and what we want and what we can get out of someone/something. It's tragic.

(05-20-2018, 11:59 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 10:53 AM)TJBender Wrote: Somewhere in DC, NRA lobbyists are touching themselves right now.

Because idiots feed the narrative and give them free marketing. Amazing how the general public doesn’t realize how minuscule the NRA is in politics in general. Why don’t we see the harassing of the American Medical Association or U.S. Department of Health & Human Services everytime someone dies from pills? I mean, 46 people a day die from legal drugs. 

It’s energy misdirected and doesn’t address root cause or even a viable solution. Just hot air!

The root cause is that people like money. Being in high-level politics is a great way to get lots of it in many forms, most of which are virtually untraceable. That money comes from lobbyists, who get it from the industries they represent. They get large sums of it, in fact, and they're instructed to pass it on down the line in some way or another to those who are loyal or important to their cause.

The solution? Campaign finance reform. If you put BP on the same playing field as the 5,000 commercial fishermen who live in that district and would have their livelihoods destroyed by that drilling platform going in, suddenly those 5,000 voices become more important than BP's $10k.

(05-20-2018, 11:59 AM)B2hibry Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 10:53 AM)TJBender Wrote: Somewhere in DC, NRA lobbyists are touching themselves right now.

You don't need to remove the AMA to conquer and subjugate a People.

(05-20-2018, 12:43 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

Anyone who calls BS on this is pretty blind. What he says is true. It's not the ONLY problem, but if you think the media and politicians don't have a hand in pitting us against each other then you're just as much a sheep as you say others are. 

As someone else said, I'm not taking responsibility for how others' kids have turned out, and I have raised none myself so I am not going down that road, but we are all responsible for how we act and react to the direction society is going. Fighting each other and making every dang thing about the left or the right and pointing fingers at whose fault it is does absolutely nothing. 

We need- and I say this as a country- we need to have conversations with our families and friends, our clergy if that applies, folks in our communities, our local/state/federal officials and anyone else necessary  about how we can change things or be able to make a positive difference. There was a time when society was about families and community. Look at old television programs. Everything was about families and community. These days it's rare that anyone even knows their next door neighbor much less going out into the community and helping others. We've become so self absorbed that everything is all about us and what we want and what we can get out of someone/something. It's tragic.

I agree. Our focus now is on things that do not even exist. Our measure of value has gone from silver dollars to paper dollars to bits on a billionaire's computer. Reputation used to come from long years of honest dealings and kept promises; now it comes from accumulating "views" and "likes" and "retweets" on a billionaire's computer . Notice a pattern here?

All of our attention and focus is being drawn away from things that are real, physical and right in front of us - our family, our health, our garden, our relationships.

(05-20-2018, 08:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:

By taking kids out of public schools and into private you are part of the problem. It creates a divided society of haves and have nots. It's why Finland has the best education in the world. They get it and everyone goes to public schools.

(05-20-2018, 08:33 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 08:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bull [BLEEP]. I'm not accepting responsibility for someone else's actions, and I'm not surrendering my rights because someone else abuses theirs. "Our" children aren't doing this, certain specific children are doing this and they are usually children from certain specific backgrounds in certain specific circumstances. I've already alleviated the problem for my children by removing them from public schools, and I encourage everyone I know to do the same. Get your kids out of public school, get them off the prescription drugs, (as a father) invest in their time and lives, keep them busy in social activities that burn their energy and fulfill their passions, keep them involved in the institutions that can't be discussed here, and you have a terrific chance of rearing a contributing member of society. The societal issues we are facing have a specific cause and a fairly simple solution, it just takes the adults being adults at the local level.

By taking kids out of public schools and into private you are part of the problem. It creates a divided society of haves and have nots. It's why Finland has the best education in the world. They get it and everyone goes to public schools.

How many Finns have won a Nobel prize in a hard science?

Answer: one, Vitaranen in 1945. Their "best education in the world" hasn't created a single Nobel scientist since Finland was still part of Russia.

Meanwhile, plenty of scientists who went through the US education system have won Nobel prizes. Sure, the US has a bigger population, but that shouldn't totally overwhelm "the best education in the world."

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(05-20-2018, 08:33 PM)lastonealive Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 08:32 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Bull [BLEEP]. I'm not accepting responsibility for someone else's actions, and I'm not surrendering my rights because someone else abuses theirs. "Our" children aren't doing this, certain specific children are doing this and they are usually children from certain specific backgrounds in certain specific circumstances. I've already alleviated the problem for my children by removing them from public schools, and I encourage everyone I know to do the same. Get your kids out of public school, get them off the prescription drugs, (as a father) invest in their time and lives, keep them busy in social activities that burn their energy and fulfill their passions, keep them involved in the institutions that can't be discussed here, and you have a terrific chance of rearing a contributing member of society. The societal issues we are facing have a specific cause and a fairly simple solution, it just takes the adults being adults at the local level.

That's...that...I...

I really don't know what to say...

[Image: oh_wait_gif.gif]

(05-20-2018, 10:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 08:33 PM)lastonealive Wrote: By taking kids out of public schools and into private you are part of the problem. It creates a divided society of haves and have nots. It's why Finland has the best education in the world. They get it and everyone goes to public schools.

How many Finns have won a Nobel prize in a hard science?

Answer: one, Vitaranen in 1945. Their "best education in the world" hasn't created a single Nobel scientist since Finland was still part of Russia.

Meanwhile, plenty of scientists who went through the US education system have won Nobel prizes. Sure, the US has a bigger population, but that shouldn't totally overwhelm "the best education in the world."

Not sure based off singular prizes is the smartest thing to do. Dodgy education?

I was talking of schooling and the whole of society approach. Yes the very wealthy,connected Americans and ultra Intelligent get a fabulous higher education in America. But I'm guessing they aren't the ones shooting up the schools?

(05-21-2018, 03:23 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 10:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: How many Finns have won a Nobel prize in a hard science?

Not sure based off singular prizes is the smartest thing to do. Dodgy education?

I was talking of schooling and the whole of society approach. Yes the very wealthy,connected Americans and ultra Intelligent get a fabulous higher education in America. But I'm guessing they aren't the ones shooting up the schools?

Are you for real with this or are you trolling? Refusing to accept a less than ideal education for your child and retarding their development is a problem because other people can't or won't do the same thing is a problem in your eyes? Lunacy.

Today the headline in Jacksonville is that the Duval School Board is cutting resources and programming to alleviate a 60 million dollar budget shortfall. As with most things government, the US spends more per capita than any other country while our results aren't even top 20 anymore. The system is broken but government and the labor unions are doing just fine, so nothing is going to change.

It also kinda sucks that of all I wrote up there people only want to talk about schooling, which is merely symptom of the core issue, but like guns, taxes, the cost of government, health care, and social unrest, you cannot fix the problem with education until you fix the problem of the family.

(05-21-2018, 03:23 AM)lastonealive Wrote:
(05-20-2018, 10:29 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: How many Finns have won a Nobel prize in a hard science?

The Nobel  prizes in chemistry and physics are a recorded measure of the cream of the crop in science. But if you want to name some physicists or chemists from Finland who made great advancements in science but didn't get a prize, be my guest. I'm guessing that whoever named Finland "the best education in the world" is using poor criteria to make that list. Do you think that having everyone get merely an above mediocre education is better than a system that produces great people?

As far as your second paragraph, I'm not familiar with the specifics of every American scientist who won a Nobel prize, but I doubt they were all children of rich people who could afford to send them to elite schools.

Maybe having a monocultural European-based society in Finland has something to do with fewer school shootings and fewer students who end up with a poor education. Note that the increase in school shootings in the US correlates with a movement to promote cultural diversity ahead of the long existing British-based value system in the US. It doesn't correlate with the availability of guns.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Stop arguing politics.

This is an obviously disturbed kid who, for some reason, felt nothing about human life. Doesn't matter what he believed. It really doesn't. He was bonkers.

Stop arguing that subject we can't discuss is more necessary

That is stupid, beyond stupid.

We get one life to live. One. Why would you take that chance away from anyone? I don't need a book to tell me how valuable that one chance is.

The problem in a nutshell is social media and weak-minded easily corruptible children created because their parents never took the time to teach them how to tell what is real and what is fake in this rapidly growing digital world we all live in. It's compounded an issue that these kinda kids already have... and it creates these disasters.